Food Dehydrator

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Work very well indeed, I've linked to these many times on this forum. I plug mine into a timer plug though rather than worry about over drying food. Simple to use and well worth the money; I have two now.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
I got one of those, but never thought to use it for Jerky. Class idea! How long do you guys dry the Jerky for in one of those? And how thick/ thin are the strips?

Cheers
Ness :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I got one of those, but never thought to use it for Jerky. Class idea! How long do you guys dry the Jerky for in one of those? And how thick/ thin are the strips?

Cheers
Ness :)

Problem with your question is that there is no hard and fast answer, how thin, how thick? How long? Play with it and find out is your best solution, just try in your own time, its half the fun. Remember one persons idea of the best ever jerky could taste absolute crap to you so google some ideas, its not hard and experiment.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One tip for drying veg, unless you have a glut of really fresh veg use frozen veg. Frozen veg is picked and frozen fast keeping in all the goodness. Remember that a kilo pack of carrots is a full kilo, no wast involved. I use the kilo packs from Iceland stores and they work really well especially peas, sweet corn, carrots and sliced green beans. I dry minced beef into what Americans call 'Hamburger Rock'. Dry fry the mince, rinse with boiling water to remove the fat and dry. This makes a good base for spag bol or curry. Fat free meat like this will keep for months, any meat with fat in it lasts a lot less.

Fresh mushrooms when dried are great, the water you soak them in to re-hydrate them gains the most intense flavour and is perfect to use as a stock or make soup.

Good luck with your drying, let us know how you get on and PM me for any other help I can offer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE