Food Dehydrator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
arctic hobo said:
Seems a little expensive for what you get... if anyone has access to an Aga just stick things in the bottom oven with the door ajar - perfect.

You use an Aga in the summer ?? too hot for me can't stand the heat.

I usually use the Airing Cupboard, but thought I might go up market.

MickT (Scotland)

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
No matey 9 grand is a little out of my price range! I have a couple of friends who have one and my parents do as well. None of them mind lending out a few cubic inches of oven space. And yes, they do have it on in the summer :?:

Dennis Mapletoft

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2005
MELTON MOWBRAY / Leics
I have one of the American Harvest 4 tray models, it was a bit pricey at #99.00 + p and p, but i have to say it is great, i have made jerky in it and it took longer to make than it did to eat :) ... i dry veg in it, mushrooms in 2 hours, toms take a little longer but the taste is out of this world, beats expensive shop bought sundried, i highly recomend this machine.
the only draw back is it uses a far bit of electricity, but the saving you make covers this.. Yours Den

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Bothyman,

I haven't actually got one of these but I have eaten loads of meals that have been prepared in them! A group of about 5 of us go to the Lakes every year for a bit of wild camping and one of the lads has a dehydrator. He prepares all the meals before we go and it is a fantastic way to carry loads of grub with very little weight. We have found that the best meals are things like casseroles, chilli, spag bog etc. A 5 portion chilli shrinks down to medium sized food storage bag.

I think my mate paid about £100 for his, so the ones you have found are about the same price.

A top tip if you are 'base camping' is to add the water in the morning and leave in the awning of your tent. When you get back in the evening you'll find the meal fully re-hydrated and it takes a fraction of the time to re-heat\cook. Just add small amounts of water until you get the hang of it.

Mat

Jan 31, 2005
Germany
Had a dehydrator now for many years. Bought originally to cope with my massive mushroom harvests. Soon used it for meals and it is awesome. Personally found that TVP (wierd soya stuff) much better for dehydrated food. The money you save and the weight make it well worth while. Check out some of the european electrical manufacturers as we bought ours in Germany. Its a Rommelsbacher Dorrer. Very cheap, approx. 40€ (about 5 yrs ago).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE