Following Nessmuk, Canoeing the Adirondacks with GGTBod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Cheers gents it has been a long time in the planning, as long as i don't get eaten it will be a good trip. Copper-head your sig says it all it was reading Nessmuk what planted the seeds of this journey, the path i am following is one of the many routes he took when going from Eighth lake over to Raquette lake and all the way up through the Raquette river chain to Upper Saranac lake, my difference is i am starting in Blue Mountain lake to take me into Raquette lake and river and i am going on past Upper Saranac lake and into fish pond to fish creek and then into Floodwood pond, i am also planning to go as light as i can with a single small rucksack of provisions and kit, this is more because i really don't want to be lugging loads of gear plus me and my kayak over the 9 portages than trying to emulate Nessmuk but he definitely had the right ideas there, his writings have definitely been the inspiration for it all

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Colin i like the thought of my beard saving the day, there goes that halfarsed plan i had for a trim and haircut out the window

On the trim I'm thinking it may be prudent, big bushy beard, tight fitting skull cap... American customs are gomna love you :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I am preparing myself mentally for the full cavity search on arrival

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I might actually fly through customs untouched as i was granted the right to emigrate there when i applied a decade ago and my status is still open

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Some people pay extra for that kind of thing!

We have shared a few PM's about our planned trips to Canada and I share your excitement Sir.

Hopefully we can share stories on the other side.

Stay safe:

Bears.. If standing tall and backing away slowly doesn't work. Play dead, face down, hands linked over your neck and don't scream while you are clawed and chewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah and don't fight back unless the bear starts eating you :lmao:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
That's easy for you to say you are gonna be armed, i have no ammo more than words

'Old bear, go back where you came from i don't want your meat, your hide or your fat tonight, go back Old bear and tell your cubs you met a Geordie traveller and he let you live'

;) taken but slightly altered from Louis L'Amour's Last of the Breed

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Never bring strong words to a bear fight!

Also remember the sage old First Nations saying: -

"Never sneak up and 'motorboat' a sleeping bears belly - they no likey!"

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Even man-bears don't like getting awoken from a snooze with a surprise motorboating

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Never bring strong words to a bear fight!

Uncle Ray is in the area at the moment. He has just posted this.

http://youtu.be/A4wJ2AThDjc

What a lovely little film, eh? The next time we get one of those tiresome discussions about "who's best, RM or BG?" just point them at this film. I reckon he's head and shoulders above all the other outdoorsmen of our time; intelligent, sensitive and measured. The only other person who even comes close is Paul Kirtley, in my view :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Personally i see no lines of comparison between BG and Ray and definitely no question in my mind of who is the most authentic bushcraft show presenter/creator, the only thing they have in common is the shows they create have a professional production crew with them at all times and behind their creation. I like Paul too he seems like a genuine bloke who tries to sincerely connect with his audience

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Well 5am tomorrow I head into the mountains, the pic below is everything I am taking, the black roll top rucksack has a single change of clothes and waterproofs and a sleeping bag in.

attachment.php

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Forecast is for 30 degrees next week. It's been cooler this week but was scorching last week.

Good luck with the portages!

Stay safe!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Looks like a compact kit, what bag is it ? no axe ? Enjoy, be safe and look forward to the full trip report :)

Just got back to Massachusetts will writeup and post vids and pics when i get back to Blightly.

Bag is a Highlander Monaco 70ltr rolltop rucksack, no axe as i have no need of one as my only fire use is my woodgas stove which runs on twigs and small pieces of wood which are easily processed with my bahco laplander and a knife, axe is just extra dead weight to me.

Full kit list was

Sleeping bag and drybag stuff sack, 5cm self inflating foam mat, dd travel hammock, dd 3x3m tarp guy lines and 8 plastic pegs and 2 trekking poles, 150ft of 550 paracord, washkit in bag (toothbrush+paste, homemade soap and nail brush), 1 pan and lid, 1 woodgas stove, 800ml kettle, toilet kit in drybag (bog roll {wet and dry} and lighter to burn used paper), 2 knives 1 for food and 1 for wood, dc4 wetstone, emergency fire starting kit (3 sticks of fatwood, roll of birch bark and 2 dried cramp balls and 2 light my fire 2.0 firesteels), bumbag for kayak emergency kit (for one of the firesteels a knife and a foil emergency blanket and 50ft paracord), 2 foil emergency blankets, 2 maps of area and a compass, bahco laplander saw, crusader mug and hand carved spoon, lifesaver bottle and bottle for to hold filtered water, electricals in drybag (gps glonas, phone and waterproof case, camera+spare batteries and memory cards, 20000mah battery cell and 5v 2.1A solar charger and usb cables), clothing in drybag (2 merino 140gsm base layer t shirts, 1 200gsm merino long sleeve top, 1 260gsm base layer pants, 1 pair of bushpants, 2 pairs of shorts 1 sunhat, 3 pairs of 200gsm merino socks, 3 pairs of 140gsm merino boxers, 1 pair of trainers, 1 160gsm merino t shirt, 1 sealskinz beanie, 1 pair of sealskinz gloves, 1 waterprooof jacket and pants, 1 pair of sealskinz waterproof socks), food in submersible airtight drybag (400g of cous cous, dried chilli and garlic in grinder, mixed peppercorns in grinder, 14 stock cubes 7 veg and 7 beef, 300g wholeweat pasta, 500g broth mix, 500g mixed dried veg {onions,leeks,potato,carrot and turnip}, 300g almonds, 600g of trail mix,15 mixed cereal bars, 700g mixed jerky{300g beef, 200g chicken and 200g bacon}), 1 piece fishing rod with 6 lb line and approx 10 mixed lures, kayak and paddle and first aid kit in bag

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE