JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I "Went West" over 30 years ago after realising that computer programming was no career for me.
I ended up in West Wales in a small house with a small garden and have been self-unemployed ever since - and happy as a dog with two tails :)

Hatchet

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2012
New Zealand
My Dad went to Ireland about a year ago, and said it was the most beautiful country he'd ever seen.

I hope everything works out for you!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I've just made a step - but not a leap.

My employer, realising how miserable one of their middle managers had made me over six years let me work Monday and Tuesday, the rest of my week is pure joy - making things, deer management and spending so much time outdoors I could almost get bored.

We are (a bit) poorer, I am happier, I go into my kids school more, my wife and I spend more free time together.

You'll wonder how you managed to stay with it so long once you have done it. Or how you managed to fit your work in with the rest of your life.

All the very best and I hope it's as positive for you as it has been for me.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
we did the same thing just shy of 2 years ago (tho only to Devon, not quite so far west as you plan). My only regret is we didn't go the whole hog and buy the full on small holding in wales (we currently have just under an acre). It's certainly been a learning experience :lmao:

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks guys. We have two viewings of our house this weekend, but i'm trying not to get my hopes up too much at this stage.

We hope to go to Killala in Co. Mayo; I have extended family there on my dads side, and we've been holidaying there every year for nearly 14 years so its not such an unknown area.

As for employment, that will be on a bit of a wing and a prayer at the moment!

mountainy man

Jun 23, 2010
sligo, ireland
Good luck with the move over, Killala is a lovely place, I know it well my grandparents had a shop there in the 1940's, as for jobs you probably know that Ireland is a bit up the creek but there are some jobs out there, but you will be in competition with the other 400,000 odd jobseekers!
You could try the Ceide fields heritage site up the road and see if theres anything going.
Have fun!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good luck Badger.
I changed my career which was a big deal for me when I did, and went poor for ages. Best thing I did and I'm glad I did it before I had kids and a mortgage as I'm stuck in a bit of a "Groundhog day" now, but i have a great job and live in a nice little run down place, trying to do interesting things with the support of my family.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
The only difference between me and you addo is that I already have the kids and a mortgage. With the sale of mine I'm hoping to be able to do it mortgage free on the other house, but we will be 'poor' :)

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Left the house this morning (about 07:00 ish) let my chickens out, walk past the frost covered highland cows, up through the stables let out the castle chickens and was back in time for the kettle boiling.

Getting out of the city was one of the best moves we made.

Hope this new chapter in your life is a good one. :D

Note...
(I only work for the castle I'm not the owner)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE