Folding spade trench tool suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

If you look closely you will see that most folding shovels have the blade attached to the hinge by way of solid rivets (I've seen some that are hollow though!).

This means that a sheer line is created between the blade and the hinge at the rivet - an inherent weakness - everytime that you thrust the blade into the ground you are effectively trying to guillotine the rivets!

Rivets - Weld.jpg

Depending on how good the rivett steel is and how frequently/hard the shovel is used the rivets eventually work loose and in some cases fail. I've seen this many times with the cheaper folding versions but also on one occasion with a German folder (loosened rivets that is) - but it had been abused by way of hacking at roots and rocks.

If you look at the Gerber you will see that the hinge is welded to the blade, eradicating the rivets leaving only one sheer point - the hinge pivot. On the Gerber the single pivot bolt is quite substantial and is replaceable should it suffer from wear (I suspect though that the hinge slots would probably enlarge first.

I've owned the Gerber in the image for the best part of 20 years, it has been used in anger many, many times and apart from periodically re-sharpening the blade mouth (for digging!) it is still in extremely good condition.

Of the three types of handle available - 'T', 'Y' or Straight, I have found the 'Y' as per the Gerber the most comfortable for prolonged use.
The 'T's are often the first to break and the straight handles can cause blisters as you have to constantly grip the shaft as you drive the blade forward, especially if digging in moist/wet sand. (best practice - use field gloves!)

The weak part of the Gerber I suspect will be the handle if it is not used correctly.
The advantage of the German surplus over the Gerber type might be the pick - but a small pry bar carried with the Gerber resolves that issue.

Of note, about 3 years back I picked up an identical one (in design and folding method) at a supermarket in a box with the AA (Automobile Association) logo on it. It was very cheap, less than a tenner I think. I bought it as a spare. Compared to the Gerber it looks marginally less well put together and the plastic may well be of a lower quality (only use and time will tell) but used correctly I suspect that it will be better than the cheaper alternatives.

Just did a quick Google on AA shovel - still available £8.99 at the mo. They advertise it as a snow shovel - hardly, but we've covered that already. :)

AA Shovel.jpg

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
There must be a Russian shovel out there that works in all weathers and cost next to nothing to make. The Austrian looks like a solid bit of kit.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom

Aaaah Yes lostplanet - the Warsaw Pact post-maneouvres get-one-over on the tankies prank.

The British Army version was a thunder flash, followed by a tin of beans pushed down an inverted post-thumper mortar stylee. It was preferably fired at the nice clean tanks just after they had come off the wash-down point ahead of all the other arms who had been working hard on the plains! :lmao:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've got couple that are chalk and cheese.

In in the car I have a Swedish military with snow attachment. It's a brute, quite heavy, but ideal in the car.

C3079DA0-CCA9-44DE-BA45-700D1CF864E6_zpsabeihdjd.jpg

For small size size and lightness I have a Glock with its handy saw in the handle. The plastic handle is a bit bendy when extended, but it does catholes efficiently.

48AE98E9-EBC3-40C4-96EE-FF36A2CBA7B1_zpsaxlbgbso.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE