Newby bushcrafter needs area suggestions :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Revan

May 24, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all I'm 21 and very new to bushcrafting, I haven't even had my first wild camp yet! :( but I'm hoping to pass my driving test soon, hopefully sometime in September (fingers crossed I do) my first plan being to head off with a couple friends and camp in the wilderness for a long weekend somewhere :D.
I live in the North-East of England (Newcastle) and I've read that wilderness camping in England is Illegal but Scotland isn't, could anyone please recommend some places in Scotland or perhaps some private land in the UK with nice land-owners? :)
I'm looking for somewhere with secure parking to park up and then walk; Would be lovely if there was a nice area to fish with access to fresh drinking water and some nice hiking spots, I want to be as self sufficient as possible and not rely on food we've brought (don't think I'm quite up to killing rabbits etc yet) I plan on using a DD hammock but would like to attempt to build a natural shelter and cook using a pit fire.
I'm a bit of a kit junkie and I always overpack by loads whenever I go camping anywhere (I've cut it down a lot so far), if people could recommend things I should not bother taking from my current kit list or things to add, bearing in mind I'm new and all my knowledge is currently only from reading/watching ray mears and bear grylls, my kit I plan on taking is:
-British 120ltr bergen with day yoke
-BCB Crusader cooking system as a backup
-Web-tex poncho/basha
-DD Travel Hammock/Bivi with mozzi net
-Bear Grylls Water bottle 1ltr
-Bear Grylls ultimate multi-tool
-collapsible water carrying bowl
-fire steel
-Cold steel Kukri machete
-Gerber gator combo II axe & saw
-small Bear grylls ultra compact knife
-bungees and paracord
-Zippo lighter with lighter fluid
-medic pouch
-wash kit with anti bacterial soap, toothpaste and toothbrush, wetwipes, bio-degradable toilet paper
-Web-tex head torch
-blade tech knife sharpener
-Lanksy puck
-German sniper sleeping bag with sleeves (also doubles up as a coat)
-Rambo survival knife with built in compass, fishing line & hooks, matches (I'm thinking of replacing this)
-Gerber E-tool 3 way folding spade
-wind-up/solar powered Radio
-48hours of food with tea and coffee plus seasoning
-hobo knife/fork from thinkgeek

I think that's everything apart from my clothes/boots/hat and spare clothes; any suggestions from experienced people would be greatly appreciated! :)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi all I'm 21 and very new to bushcrafting, I haven't even had my first wild camp yet! :( but I'm hoping to pass my driving test soon, hopefully sometime in September (fingers crossed I do) my first plan being to head off with a couple friends and camp in the wilderness for a long weekend somewhere :D.
I live in the North-East of England (Newcastle) and I've read that wilderness camping in England is Illegal but Scotland isn't, could anyone please recommend some places in Scotland or perhaps some private land in the UK with nice land-owners? :)
I'm looking for somewhere with secure parking to park up and then walk; Would be lovely if there was a nice area to fish with access to fresh drinking water and some nice hiking spots, I want to be as self sufficient as possible and not rely on food we've brought (don't think I'm quite up to killing rabbits etc yet) I plan on using a DD hammock but would like to attempt to build a natural shelter and cook using a pit fire.
I'm a bit of a kit junkie and I always overpack by loads whenever I go camping anywhere (I've cut it down a lot so far), if people could recommend things I should not bother taking from my current kit list or things to add, bearing in mind I'm new and all my knowledge is currently only from reading/watching ray mears and bear grylls, my kit I plan on taking is:
-British 120ltr bergen with day yoke. TOO BIG
-BCB Crusader cooking system as a backup
-Web-tex poncho/basha
-DD Travel Hammock/Bivi with mozzi net
-Bear Grylls Water bottle 1ltr. WILL NEED MUCH MORE FOR 48 HRS
-Bear Grylls ultimate multi-tool. DONT NEED
-collapsible water carrying bowl
-fire steel
-Cold steel Kukri machete. DONT NEED
-Gerber gator combo II axe & saw. JUST TAKE THE SAW
-small Bear grylls ultra compact knife
-bungees and paracord
-Zippo lighter with lighter fluid
-medic pouch
-wash kit with anti bacterial soap, toothpaste and toothbrush, wetwipes, bio-degradable toilet paper
-Web-tex head torch
-blade tech knife sharpener
-Lanksy puck. LEAVE AT HOME
-German sniper sleeping bag with sleeves (also doubles up as a coat)
-Rambo survival knife with built in compass, fishing line & hooks, matches (I'm thinking of replacing this) I WOULD TOO
-Gerber E-tool 3 way folding spade
-wind-up/solar powered Radio. NO NO NO
-48hours of food with tea and coffee plus seasoning
-hobo knife/fork from thinkgeek

I think that's everything apart from my clothes/boots/hat and spare clothes; any suggestions from experienced people would be greatly appreciated! :)

Im no expert but just keep it simple without taking everything and the kitchen sink.

I have just packed my 35 ltr Munro for two nights and have everything i need to be comfy.

Snugpak elite 3
Bivvy bag
Sleeping mat
Groundsheet
brew/cooking kit with 1ltr water bottle
Tarp
Hammock. Folding knife
Food. Trangia burner
FAK Honey stove
Camera. Buff
spare cordage and headtorch
MSR 4ltr water bag.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
While you wait to get out, why not try a practice run in your garden? By practicing or doing, That's the only real way you will see what you need and what you don't. Carrying all that gear will be a drag on a very hot day unless of course you are super fit and/or not walking very far, go for it.

If you have seen a bit of ray, there's a good saying he uses when getting kit together, Now this is a very basic list but with it should be able to be comfortable for at least one night out.

As Ray explains in Essential Bushcraft, your basic requirements include:

something to carry your equipment in,
something to sleep under,
something to sleep in,
something to sleep on,
navigational equipment,
something to cook in,
something to cook over,
means to carry water,
a mug
illumination at night,
wash kit,
medical kit,
Food,
eating utensils,
odds and ends to make life comfortable(possibles),
clothing,

http://www.raymears.com/Shop_By_Activity/Essential_Camping_Equipment/
http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Courses/Kit_Lists.cfm

Also there is nothing wrong with geocaching some of the heavier items in advance.

Last edited:

Revan

May 24, 2012
Newcastle
While you wait to get out, why not try a practice run in your garden? By practicing, That's the only real way you will see what you need and what you don't. Carrying all that gear will be a drag on a very hot day unless of course you are super fit and/or not walking very far, go for it.

If you have seen a bit of ray, there's a good saying he uses when getting kit together, Now this is a very basic list but with it should be able to be comfortable for at least one night out.

As Ray explains in Essential Bushcraft, your basic requirements include: something to carry your equipment in, something to sleep under, something to sleep in, something to sleep on, navigational equipment, something to cook in, means to carry water, a mug, and illumination at night.

http://www.raymears.com/Shop_By_Activity/Essential_Camping_Equipment/
http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Courses/Kit_Lists.cfm

Also there is nothing wrong with geocaching some of the heavier items in advance.

Unfortunately I live in a block of flats, no garden :(
like I said I'll probably take a friend or 2 with me so kit can always be shared out as they hadn't really heard of bushcraft till I mentioned it, it's probably pushing it to make them buy anything more than basic sleeping/eating kit in such a short space of time; I built up my kit over a long period (they're poor students too lol)
Thanks for the info! I Want to eventually camp with the bare basics but don't trust my skills as of yet.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

As Ray explains in Essential Bushcraft, your basic requirements include: something to carry your equipment in, something to sleep under, something to sleep in, something to sleep on, navigational equipment, something to cook in, means to carry water, a mug, and illumination at night.
... and a team of native porters to carry your cast iron dutch ovens...

Revan

May 24, 2012
Newcastle
Im no expert but just keep it simple without taking everything and the kitchen sink.

I have just packed my 35 ltr Munro for two nights and have everything i need to be comfy.

Snugpak elite 3
Bivvy bag
Sleeping mat
Groundsheet
brew/cooking kit with 1ltr water bottle
Tarp
Hammock. Folding knife
Food. Trangia burner
FAK Honey stove
Camera. Buff
spare cordage and headtorch
MSR 4ltr water bag.

I was hoping to camp somewhere near enough to a fresh water source to refill my water bottle, (I've got a 2ltr camelback pouch as well, forgot to add)
What knife would you suggest to replace my rambo knife? I love the knives from ColdSteel but they're way above my price range at the moment :'( I could afford to spend about £100 tops on a good knife.
Thanks for the suggestions :)

Revan

May 24, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome to BCUK :)

Newcastle is my old,old stomping ground :)

spent some of my youth out running the parky in Heaton park ;)

Thanks for the welcome :)
I occasionally go to heaton park for picnics in summertime with my friends who live there, but the sun rarely shines long enough to even bother haha

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Yep mora clipper will be the best value knife you ever buy And when you upgrade give it to a friend.

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
If you have access to a work shop linisher or dremel with a sanding drum, I ground the spine back a bit to create an edge(about 2 cm) on my clipper so I could get good sparks off a fire stick.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
What knife would you suggest to replace my rambo knife? I love the knives from ColdSteel but they're way above my price range at the moment :'( I could afford to spend about £100 tops on a good knife.
Thanks for the suggestions :)

As said above Mora clipper although i would also consider the Mora Force for not much more dosh.

Like i said before keep it simple and just enjoy it. You might have a water source but is it safe? Can you make it safe?
no point in carrying bucket loads of kit if your in agony before you get to your site then think 'damn i have to carry it all out too'.

Make a kit list like you have then think do i really need it all, can one item be used for another application.
Do you need a machette and an axe and a knife and a multitool.

Revan

May 24, 2012
Newcastle
pm me. If you are willing to travel there is a wee larch wood near where I live where folks wild camp. Right beside a river. I can offer secure parking for your car.

Windy
oh that sounds great! thank you very much! :D I'll message you nearer the time if that's okay? Everything depends on me passing my driving test, so I'd rather not make plans incase I fail my test and can't follow through with the plans made.

Revan

May 24, 2012
Newcastle

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
Your carrying a lot of excess weight in blades mate- multi tool, folding knife, "Rambo knife" axe with saw AND a kukri?
You don't need all of those mate. maybe the folder OR multitool, a good fixe blade such as the Mora that has been reccomended and the axe OR kukri .

Sack the bungees and use either cord or even the lightweight shock cord and just learn to tie knots - less bulky and lighter.

E- tool? Sack it mate- use a small lightweight plastic trowel for human waste or just point a decent stick with your knife to dig a scrape for that.

Sorry to sound harsh but the old German bags are crap - been there done that about 15 years ago- not very warm, very bulky and very heavy. Get a lightweight compresable sleeping bag - nothing beats a decent nights sleep and for a warm jacket you can pick up the issues version of the softy jacket cheap on eBay .

Revan

May 24, 2012
Newcastle
Your carrying a lot of excess weight in blades mate- multi tool, folding knife, "Rambo knife" axe with saw AND a kukri?
You don't need all of those mate. maybe the folder OR multitool, a good fixe blade such as the Mora that has been reccomended and the axe OR kukri .

Sack the bungees and use either cord or even the lightweight shock cord and just learn to tie knots - less bulky and lighter.

E- tool? Sack it mate- use a small lightweight plastic trowel for human waste or just point a decent stick with your knife to dig a scrape for that.

Sorry to sound harsh but the old German bags are crap - been there done that about 15 years ago- not very warm, very bulky and very heavy. Get a lightweight compresable sleeping bag - nothing beats a decent nights sleep and for a warm jacket you can pick up the issues version of the softy jacket cheap on eBay .
Thanks, when it's pointed out I can see I have far too many blades to carry; I have a small obsession with shiny knives, I'm probably going to end up with quite a collection when I'm older. I'll cut it down and probably just stick with the multitool, kukri incase I need to chop wood/brush and I'll give the Mora Force knife a go for sure :)
I plan on taking a knot book with me to practice in the field where it's nice and tranquil, I can't find the time when I'm at home, so far I only really know how to tie my shoelaces haha xD
I got the German bag at a festival earlier this year for only £15, I was sweating in it like mad, though I was in a tent with my girlfriend so body heat might've influenced that, and true it is very heavy and an absolute female dog to pack up as it hasn't a proper compression sack, though I've managed to compress mine to the same size as an average sleeping bag (through a lot of effort); the main reason I thought it might be good is that it's waterproof and my arms are still free; been reading horror stories on here (since I've been lurking) about strange people/happenings in the woods, so free arms makes me feel a bit safer (daft to be worried about that sort of thing, I know).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE