Folding Saws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
Being as BB is down I'll post this here,

I had the opportunity to get out for a few hours today to our local community orchard, a great place to do a bit of carving and have a brew.
ZaraandRobswalkies035.jpg

I took the chance to do a bit of a comparison test with three saws I've had knocking about.

The ubiquitous Laplander, one of the large silky saws, the "Big Boy" and a new one to me the TRT fineline.

Open
ZaraandRobswalkies019.jpg

closed
ZaraandRobswalkies032.jpg

All three saws lock in both the closed and open positions, whilst that's it for the Laplander, both the Silky and the TRT have two open settings,

first setting
ZaraandRobswalkies031.jpg

second setting
ZaraandRobswalkies030.jpg

With a Clipper for scale
ZaraandRobswalkies033.jpg

As a lot of us know, the Laplander is a cracking little saw, very light and very robust. It has a plastic handle with a rubber coating for grip. It cuts on both the push and the pull, for me its the ideal saw to have in a shoulder bag (or handbag, Toddy)
ZaraandRobswalkies028.jpg

Again, a lot of us are familiar with the Silkies, the Pocket boy being one of the most well known. I already had a small saw (the Laplander) so thought, might as well go big. The big Boy is a monster. Its a very heavy, solid feeling saw. It has a stamped steel handle with a rubber coating for grip. The blade is different from the Laplander in that it cuts on the pull stroke only, not that it makes too many odds, it still cuts very cleanly with little effort, both in green or seasoned wood. Its probably a bit heavy for a day out, being more suited to a long term camp.
ZaraandRobswalkies026.jpg

The last saw i had to try was a new one to me, the TRT fineline, its very close in design to the Silky saw, so much so that I'd say if its not a licensed product then its in breach of silkies patent, the set of the teeth on both the Big Boy and the fineline are identical.
ZaraandRobswalkies020.jpg

The fact that its halfway between the other two in size means that its just about small enough to put in a daysack, whilst still being a very efficient cutter.
ZaraandRobswalkies027.jpg

Out of the three, I'd say the TRT was the one i preferred, it feels like ten time the saw compared to the Laplander, without actually being ten times the size like the Silky.

Cheers,
Rob

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I tried the "Big Boy" last year at a camp and was very impressed by it, but like you I thought it was a bit bulky for a daysack, so got the "Super Accel," which I guess is the Silky equivalent to the TRT and with a 210mm blade. I actually find the pull cut easier than the Laplander and it's clones.
In fact your review has just cost me £24.50, as I remembered that I have fancied a Silky Pocket Boy for ages now and just ordered one! :rolleyes::)

Last edited:

the laird

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2006
DK
good review,I'm looking for a new one and the TRT is now looking favourite,I looked at a FISKARS one the other day,that was more telescopic than folding but I couldnt try it becuase of the packaging and at over £40 I wasnt going to chance it.
thanks for showing

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
In fact your review has just cost me £24.50, as I remembered that I have fancied a Silky Pocket Boy for ages now and just ordered one! :rolleyes::)

Good, good. you'll have saved yourself money in the long run Kev, maybe...

good review

Cheers mate,

thanks for that:) I'll draw up a list and then find someone who'll deliver to denmark for the right money which is always a consideration:cussing:

If i can help with that let me know Joel.

cheers,
Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE