folding saws in pubic

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
just wondering guys, what are the legality's involving carrying folding saws in public?

i would have thought they are in the same league as knives, but as they are not a "sharply pointed article" and they are generaly associated with landscape and tree surgery work, rather than an offensive weapon im not so sure.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:eek: I'm terrified by the thread title

Texas Chainsaw Rabbi!

Brings a frightening realism to "Bushcraft"

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If you threatened someone with a folding saw then it would be an offensive weapon. As it is, there's hardly if any history of people being attacked by someone wielding a saw. Unlike a knife, no one really looks at a saw as a weapon.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Despite the title (NOT a good idea), I think the legality is that it is a blade greater than 3 inches long, and usually comes with a locking mechanism too, so strictly speaking, not legal without good cause.

Much less likely to be questioned about it than a knife of the same blade length though.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
The law is a cutting edge of 3" or over, and if it locks like the Bahco Laplander is a no no same as a knife.

That said though, as previously stated, a saw doesn't give the same impression as a knife.

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
If you threatened someone with a folding saw then it would be an offensive weapon. As it is, there's hardly if any history of people being attacked by someone wielding a saw. Unlike a knife, no one really looks at a saw as a weapon.

On a more serious note it would indeed be interesting to find out the laws' standpoint, a folding saw could inflict some nasty damage. Would a locking mechanism automatically change the status?

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
You need lawful authority or reasonable excuse in a public place. However, never to my knowledge has someone been prosecuted for this and I seriously doubt (unless you threaten someone with it) you would be prosecuted.

The offensive weapon status is the most argued thing I know.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The law is a cutting edge of 3" or over, and if it locks like the Bahco Laplander is a no no same as a knife.

That said though, as previously stated, a saw doesn't give the same impression as a knife.

A saw does not come under knife law, offensive weapon law maybe ( but only if used as one, but then so would a feather duster). The restrictions on knives are on the ability of a knife to stab. Hence why locking knives are classed as fixed blades. Saws do not come under this definition. Bear in mind you could have a fixed blade tenon saw or somesuch. I mean, no ones really going to carry a saw as a weapon, if they have one, they will have a use for it.

A saw does not come under knife law, offensive weapon law maybe ( but only if used as one, but then so would a feather duster). The restrictions on knives are on the ability of a knife to stab. Hence why locking knives are classed as fixed blades. Saws do not come under this definition. Bear in mind you could have a fixed blade tenon saw or somesuch. I mean, no ones really going to carry a saw as a weapon, if they have one, they will have a use for it.

Nope it comes under S139 which is Sharply pointed or bladed articals .................a Saw is both

The locking mech and the sub 3" is not relevant that only come in in the exemption which is Specifically for a folding pocket 'knife' which a saw isnt
(This is the only part of S139 that mentions the word 'Knife')

yes it would make formidable weapon and will make a mess of any flesh it cuts making a very difficult wound to deal with
(any body who has had a SAK saw jump and be drawn across a finger knows the mess and hassle a little cut makes)

So yes a copper can if he wants use S139 on a SAW but is less likely to automatically

heres mine
you really wouldnt want this whacked across the face and jugular
Dsc_4522.jpg

not folding i know....but it is a saw,....check out the over 18 foot note ( i have a couple and they would make truely savage weapons )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Fat-Max-Jab-0-20-556/dp/B0001IW5V8

think that's an over interpretation of S141 A Saws arn't in the list same a screwdrivers etc weren't but B&Q etc put up fencing and guard dogs round the tools section for a long while only selling them to over 18

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/141A

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
I remember a few years ago at Inverness airport chatting with a very nice security lady who informed me that my Gerber multitool needed to travel in the hold rather than in my hand luggage (despite the fact that it had flown up from Heathrow in my handbaggage two days earlier). She explained that it was because the blade locked that it had to be bagged and stowed - I would get it back at Heathrow. Ok, no worries. I then asked her if she was equally concerned about the rather sharp ended 10 inch long screwdriver that was in my case - no, that was fine.

Personally I reckon I could have done far more immediate damage to someone with that screwdriver than I ever could have done with a 3 inch blade. Innocent times, eh?

Peter

I remember a few years ago at Inverness airport chatting with a very nice security lady who informed me that my Gerber multitool needed to travel in the hold rather than in my hand luggage (despite the fact that it had flown up from Heathrow in my handbaggage two days earlier). She explained that it was because the blade locked that it had to be bagged and stowed - I would get it back at Heathrow. Ok, no worries. I then asked her if she was equally concerned about the rather sharp ended 10 inch long screwdriver that was in my case - no, that was fine.

Personally I reckon I could have done far more immediate damage to someone with that screwdriver than I ever could have done with a 3 inch blade. Innocent times, eh?

Peter

or the 1ltr glass bottle you buy in Duty free after security

ot teh 400 Gm Toblerone now theres an Offensive Sweetie

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE