Folding saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

samwebb

Dec 4, 2008
kent
hi, i am new to bushcraft does anyone have any expirience with the less expensive (b&q) style folding saws, if so please tell!

they do the job Samwebb but not as nice as a more expencive one , I always used the real cheap one from lidel and it was fine , then i got a good deal on a bacho laplander and its much nicer to use If I had to buy another one I would go for the laplander

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have a cheap one and as said, it does the job. But I just bought a Opinel small saw, with a 12 cm stainless blade. I only received it yesterday and not used it yet. It feels much nice to hold, the wood handle is large, which I like because I have fairly large hands, the blade lock is much more positive than the cheap one, it can also be locked closed, the cheap one doesn't. I'll try it at the week end and report on it's use.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'd say it's worth paying that bit more for a laplander.

The cheap ones are ok for a time but quality does prevail from my own experience.

Tom.

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
Interesting this, whilst i have no exoerience with the laplander, which will be good as bacho do not make rubbish. I have used a folding saw I bought from Aldi about a year ago, still sharp locks open and closed and all for a fiver. It wont last forever but its all about Buying the best you can afford at the time

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Also the blades are replaceable on the laplander, worth spending that bit more I`d say. I saw somewhere selling them for £15.95 delivered the other day

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I bought mine for £2.99 from Wilkinsons.
What everyone has said is probably true - the more expensive brands are probably better. I wouldn't know for sure, never having owned or used a Laplander. But, I somehow doubt that a Laplander (at £15-£20) is truly 5 or 6 times better at the job than my cheapo version. It's a simple enough job - saw a bit of wood - that doesn't require too much technology.
If you can afford a Laplander, or any other reputable brand, then go for it. But also know what tools/equipment can be done on a budget, and what are best to splash a bit of money on.
It's up to you, I suppose.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
I have a folding saw I bougt for € 1,99 (should be about 1 pound 50). I've been using this for about a year, and it is not giving me any problems. I have used a laplander, and allthough it is nicer to look at, I find my cheap one actually nicer to use as it has an thicker handle. I think the blade on the laplander is better, stays sharp longer. On the other hand, for the price of a laplander replacement blade I could buy 6 of the complete saws I'm using now.

Just my experience and thoughts....

BTW I'm after a folding / packable bow saw (buck saw). Any tips ?

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Just as you say samwebb i bought the yellow/orange one from B&Q for £6.99 and i have used it a hell of a lot and still going strong and teeth still sharp

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
I have to say, I've used most types of folding saw in my work over the years as a tree surgeon, and you really do get what you pay for. A lot of the cheaper saws only cut on the pull stroke, and are a bit prone to jamming, whereas the laplander cuts on both strokes and rarely gets stuck. Just my opinion, but we all use laplanders at work and we use them a lot!

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Silky saws only cut on the pull stroke and in my experience will leave a laplander standing (in the beautiful little pile of shavings you just created)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I have a silly amount of saws :eek: (and still will buy more to swmbo's dispair no doubt)

My first was a stanley I believe from B&Q and I still use it!:) but it has now been replaced by a silky pocketboy - and man does that little thing eat wood!:eek:

I also have a set of aldi's finest, a number of other cheap models and now this week a bacho laplander. That is not to mention the 20" bush saw, the 15" colapseable bush saw and my chainsaw:rolleyes:

why so many folders? - most have never been used for anything other than a pattern for making leather sheaths for them;)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Quite fancy one of those myself, I saw one at the bushmoot (Warthog's I think) and I was impressed, very neat and effective. that said, I'm happy with my Laplander and my B&Q one and even the Spear&Jackson one I got from Asda. The smoothest cutting one has to be the Laplander but they all do the job.

I'm sure it would have been mine Andy very handy tools it kept is going in fire wood for the week easily :D

Cheers Russ :D

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'm sure it would have been mine Andy very handy tools it kept is going in fire wood for the week easily :D

Cheers Russ :D

I thought so Russ, cheers, I shall have to get myself one of them at some point in the new year. I really liked the way it packed down into itself.

i have had for years a Gerber saw comes with 2 blades one fine one course
i looked at the laplander a while back and thought its blade geometryand style was a little crude never tryed them against each other though

also got a Wilkinson a couple of Xmases ago its lock broke first use :rolleyes: :(

on the gerber a lot of stalkers round hee used ot buy them as the fine blade was good at antler apparently

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE