Folding knife suggestions ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I received the TBS wildcat this morning, a present to myself.
The fit and finish is first class and the springs are as strong as any folder I've ever handled.
Aesthetically it's lovely in the hand and it looks superb with the red liners nicely complimenting the dark Turkish Walnut.

However it is significantly and noticeably heavier in the hand compared to my Boar EDC.
Also as soon as I opened it up it was obviously going to be uncomfortable in the hand for me.
As had been pointed even though the scales are wider than the boar the secondary blade is always in the way.

It's a horrible shame. It will have to get sent back as I would never carry it, I'd always prefer the much more comfortable the Boar EDC or Viper DAN 2!
Obviously your mileage may vary and I'd definitely recommend handling one yourself if you really like it.

That's a pity, although I must say that since I bought my Boar, it is the only knife I use. Purely from my own point of view, I've got/had a few two blade folders, and always found for the type of use I have for a knife it's always been the case of one blade too many. I probably should have a clear out.

hifon

BANNED - Scammer
Jun 4, 2023
United States
I love a barlow and have quite a few as, frankly, apart from a few camping knives, my main interest is in little pocket folders. One I still kick myself for missing is the one Dan Burke designed for Queen. Spear point and pen w/sawn bone handles and D2 steel ... one of their really well made ones by all reports. I got the accompanying grandad, but it isn't what I was after

Best way to get a good barlow is scour the pages of AAPK for an older one ... :)

Just a note: I find (hardly a unique thought) Case TruSharp steel to underperform like it is actually trying to embarass itself. The CV is much better
What kind of folding knife are you carrying? I lost my Kershaw Cryo and looking to replace it. Any suggestions?

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I use a British army clasp knife which I added some antler scales to.
It is nice and stiff and not liable to closing on you.
Cheap as well.
The one I have takes and holds a good sharp edge as well.
The blade length comfortably falls in the legal limits.
Did you glue the scales on?
I've got an army knife. It's fantastically useful and robust, takes a wicked edge, but bloody uncomfortable for extended carving & cutting.

Reactions: SCOMAN

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Going right back to the OP, you have to be realistic about the limitations of a folding knife. If a folding knife is closing up on you while you’re using it then it may be advisable to put less force on the blade, make smaller cuts or change the way you’re using it entirely. Apply enough force in the wrong direction and any folding knife will close, no matter what type or brand.
(edit) I always carry a Swiss Army knife.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glass-Wood-Steel

jcr71

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2014
hampshire
regarding folding knives closing up in use, ive picked up Chinese knives for a few quid that are copies of Chris Reeve Knives etc that are of impressively good quality for the money.
for less than a tenner id be happy to edc at the risk having them confiscated.

hifon

BANNED - Scammer
Jun 4, 2023
United States
There is so much out there nowadays. Look at the UKPK, yes, and also the Stretch version of it.

Couple of months ago I'd have said get a German Eye 4 1/4" stockman, but Eye have closed down. Then I'd have said get a Moore Maker stockman of similar size, but Queen, who made them, have also closed down. So, now I'd say see if you can find a Great Eastern #81 stockman. It's burly, so you might also like to look at GEC's finer #82 or Boker's current yellow bone stockman in C75. The Case XX sowbelly stockman in CV is very good, and affordable also ... there's a single blade, yellow delrin version of this too.

I have read a lot of nice things about the Kizer Vagnino, and Boker make a number of '42' knives .. some of which are a little long, so care there. The true answer to your question is the Boker Slack, a slim masterwork in VG10, but past 3" in the blade ... and now I have been to check a detail about it, I discover Boker have released another beezer; the A2 Mini which, I should imagine, after a perfunctory struggle with my conscience, I will own soon enough ... but it is a locker, so really rather off topic

.... Oh! Hang on. Forget all that and buy a Great Eastern Bullnose #71. Epic little knife. There is still a few around. Try DLT for a start. :)

1095 steel and orange delrin, or, as here, muslin micarta for dollars 55

Knifemaker Shing has made some robust and pretty impressively engineered slipjoints in the past few years. Various sizes and styles but these are handmade, individual pieces of particular merit, and not cheap.

Also, look here:. The Manly Wasp on page 5 is a corking, repeat, a corking good knife. :):) Especially the S90V version ... very affordable for what's on the plate. The Benchmade Proper also has many virtues (it's price isn't among them though)

For its marlin spike, the John Nowill Navy knife is excellently excellent and endlessly useful. I like it a lot. Lighter than the British Army thing, though you may want to fettle the edge on it. You might look at the small Douk Douk as a possibility but don't buy the Svord Peasant, no matter what people say to convince you, or anything by Arthur Wright or Rough Rider. These have some qualities, but you will want something better almost immediately. Otter (Germany) and Joker (Spain) make some very good, affordable carbon steel folding pieces but sadly, although there are some highly recommendable and very, very appealing French regional knives, they tend to be a little bit over 3". If you can live with that, look for an Alpin.:) Au Sabot make a good one

This could be costly. I rashly whetted several appetites for myself there :lol:

Oh yes, and the Enzo PK70 ..... have fun looking
Any members routinely use a folding knife for food preparation either in the kitchen or in commercial food preparation? If so what makes and models of knives? From a mention or two I suspect that Opinels may be some of the commonest folding knives that are regularly used for food prep due to their thin good quality carbon steel blades available at a reasonable price.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Any members routinely use a folding knife for food preparation either in the kitchen or in commercial food preparation? If so what makes and models of knives? From a mention or two I suspect that Opinels may be some of the commonest folding knives that are regularly used for food prep due to their thin good quality carbon steel blades available at a reasonable price.
Nobody is using folding knives in a commercial setting, or certainly they shouldn't be. It is too hard to ensure thorough cleanliness with all the nooks and crannies that could hold detritus. Opinels are lovely for this purpose on occasion (camping, picnics etc), particularly the stainless models due to the thin, sharp blades but I would always choose a fixed blade in the kitchen.

Sent from underground

Reactions: Glass-Wood-Steel

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
I do. Manly Wasp 14C28N model. Works well but bit small for some tasks. Geometry is great for slicing.

I am extremely careful when using folder in the kitchen. I make sure the food remainings do not come anywhere close to the folding location to minimise the risks related to hygiene and always wash the blade after use.

I use the folder in my home country kitchen as it is the only decent knife to use in that home. Otherwise I would not bother with using a folding knife in kitchen. It is far from ideal.

Reactions: gg012

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Anyone seen this series, there are few old style folders he discusses here, none of them would be UK legal however as the blades are too big, but I daresay you can get some of them from Heinnie Haynes.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a Manly Wasp which I rate as a decent fully legal pocketknife.
Just under 3 inch blade made from a damn good steel (S90V) and its got a very strong backspring.
It just isn't a one hand opener at all so those wallys on Youtube who are always flicking knives open and closed like over enthusiastic six year olds need not apply.

It's got a pocket clip but I removed it and generally just put into my back pocket.

Reactions: Kepis

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I’m willing to be wrong on this one but as I understand the law it does not actually prevent me from carrying a knife longer than three inches, whether it locks or not, provided I have good reason. The issue for both me and a police officer would be the credibility of that reason and the method of carrying the knife in question. It is an interesting point of law that I would not have even committed a crime until a court has judged that my reason and/or method was not acceptable.

In my youth I carried a ten inch Bowie knife when walking, camping and on bike rides. That same knife, carried in my rucksack, was extracted, examined and waved through Irish and English customs in both directions and on a number of occasions. Those days are gone.

Nowadays I don’t carry a knife at all outside the house unless I’m camping. I don’t miss one.

I travel to camps with my two Opinel knives in a bag, in a rucksack, in the boot of my car. Because I have oversized hands my knife of choice is the Opinel #12. I use an #12 Explore a lot and I have a stainless steel #12 blade fitted into the Opinel #12 saw handle just because it looks and feels good. (They do everything that I ask of them.)

So my answer to the OP is to suggest a review of what your edc knife is for.

If you’re not Bushcrafting etc. what’s your knife for? Just asking.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m willing to be wrong on this one but as I understand the law it does not actually prevent me from carrying a knife longer than three inches, whether it locks or not, provided I have good reason. The issue for both me and a police officer would be the credibility of that reason and the method of carrying the knife in question. It is an interesting point of law that I would not have even committed a crime until a court has judged that my reason and/or method was not acceptable.

In my youth I carried a ten inch Bowie knife when walking, camping and on bike rides. That same knife, carried in my rucksack, was extracted, examined and waved through Irish and English customs in both directions and on a number of occasions. Those days are gone.

Nowadays I don’t carry a knife at all outside the house unless I’m camping. I don’t miss one.

I travel to camps with my two Opinel knives in a bag, in a rucksack, in the boot of my car. Because I have oversized hands my knife of choice is the Opinel #12. I use an #12 Explore a lot and I have a stainless steel #12 blade fitted into the Opinel #12 saw handle just because it looks and feels good. (They do everything that I ask of them.)

So my answer to the OP is to suggest a review of what your edc knife is for.

If you’re not Bushcrafting etc. what’s your knife for? Just asking.
Method of carry has no mention in law, and your car is deemed a public space. Good reason in your case is your intention to use them camping, that should be fine.

A degree of this law is the down to the discretion of the police officer. Behave sensibly and politely and you should be fine.

My EDC is under 3“ and non-locking, usually a UKPK (post #4) or Urban sometimes Real Steel Stella or Boker Atlas. These are all legal to carry at pretty much any time without me even having to consider legality. Any will open packets, cut string or tape, sharpen a pencil and perform many everyday tasks. Bright orange Victorinox Classic on my keys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE