Folding knife suggestions ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
As a result of all the current knife furore I decided to only take a legal carry knife with me. Twice, and it's my own fault, I've narrowly avoided slashing the back of my fingers as a result of the blade closing on me whilst in use, so what are my options, extended tang ? I'm open to all suggestions. Usually I get there by process of elimination, but I have the feeling in this case it could end up being quite expensive.

Thanks in anticipation. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_yum:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I use a British army clasp knife which I added some antler scales to.
It is nice and stiff and not liable to closing on you.
Cheap as well.
The one I have takes and holds a good sharp edge as well.
The blade length comfortably falls in the legal limits.

Reactions: Big Si

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
TBS Boar edc folder, both of mine have seriously strong back springs and used sensibly neither have or have felt like they will fold on me.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Heinnie Haynes Red G10 Spyderco UKPK. It’s a no brainer.

Very stiff spring, solid halfstop, and a choil for your forefinger as further safety from closing. Completely designed for the UK market by Sal, BritishBlades members, and the UKPK Design Team. A smidge under 3” cutting edge, it incorporates just about everything required in a pocket knife.

D6-F3-F86-A-3-F66-4-ECF-A6-FC-D8352-CBF1395.jpg

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
TBS Boar edc folder, both of mine have seriously strong back springs and used sensibly neither have or felt like they will fold on me.

^^^ Wot he says ^^^

Only criticism I have for mine is it's a Mk I edition which designed without a groove to grip to assist in opening it.

The MkII version had that issue rectified

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
A year or so ago I stopped using my full tang knives in favour also of a British army clasp knife for a lot of my usage. Good tension and light to put in a pocket.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
There is so much out there nowadays. Look at the UKPK, yes, and also the Stretch version of it.

Couple of months ago I'd have said get a German Eye 4 1/4" stockman, but Eye have closed down. Then I'd have said get a Moore Maker stockman of similar size, but Queen, who made them, have also closed down. So, now I'd say see if you can find a Great Eastern #81 stockman. It's burly, so you might also like to look at GEC's finer #82 or Boker's current yellow bone stockman in C75. The Case XX sowbelly stockman in CV is very good, and affordable also ... there's a single blade, yellow delrin version of this too.

I have read a lot of nice things about the Kizer Vagnino, and Boker make a number of '42' knives .. some of which are a little long, so care there. The true answer to your question is the Boker Slack, a slim masterwork in VG10, but past 3" in the blade ... and now I have been to check a detail about it, I discover Boker have released another beezer; the A2 Mini which, I should imagine, after a perfunctory struggle with my conscience, I will own soon enough ... but it is a locker, so really rather off topic

.... Oh! Hang on. Forget all that and buy a Great Eastern Bullnose #71. Epic little knife. There is still a few around. Try DLT for a start. :)

1095 steel and orange delrin, or, as here, muslin micarta for dollars 55

https://www.dlttrading.com/great-eastern-farm-field-71-bull-nose-muslin-micarta-424

Knifemaker Shing has made some robust and pretty impressively engineered slipjoints in the past few years. Various sizes and styles but these are handmade, individual pieces of particular merit, and not cheap.

Also, look here: https://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-tools/uk-friendly-carry-knives. The Manly Wasp on page 5 is a corking, repeat, a corking good knife. :):) Especially the S90V version ... very affordable for what's on the plate. The Benchmade Proper also has many virtues (it's price isn't among them though)

For its marlin spike, the John Nowill Navy knife is excellently excellent and endlessly useful. I like it a lot. Lighter than the British Army thing, though you may want to fettle the edge on it. You might look at the small Douk Douk as a possibility but don't buy the Svord Peasant, no matter what people say to convince you, or anything by Arthur Wright or Rough Rider. These have some qualities, but you will want something better almost immediately. Otter (Germany) and Joker (Spain) make some very good, affordable carbon steel folding pieces but sadly, although there are some highly recommendable and very, very appealing French regional knives, they tend to be a little bit over 3". If you can live with that, look for an Alpin.:) Au Sabot make a good one

This could be costly. I rashly whetted several appetites for myself there :lol:

Oh yes, and the Enzo PK70 ..... have fun looking

Last edited:
Reactions: Nice65

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I love a barlow and have quite a few as, frankly, apart from a few camping knives, my main interest is in little pocket folders. One I still kick myself for missing is the one Dan Burke designed for Queen. Spear point and pen w/sawn bone handles and D2 steel ... one of their really well made ones by all reports. I got the accompanying grandad, but it isn't what I was after

Best way to get a good barlow is scour the pages of AAPK for an older one ... :)

Just a note: I find (hardly a unique thought) Case TruSharp steel to underperform like it is actually trying to embarass itself. The CV is much better

Reactions: santaman2000

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Heinnie Haynes Red G10 Spyderco UKPK. It’s a no brainer.

Very stiff spring, solid halfstop, and a choil for your forefinger as further safety from closing. Completely designed for the UK market by Sal, BritishBlades members, and the UKPK Design Team. A smidge under 3” cutting edge, it incorporates just about everything required in a pocket knife.

D6-F3-F86-A-3-F66-4-ECF-A6-FC-D8352-CBF1395.jpg

Why on earth would you want a knife with a hole in the blade ?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Why on earth would you want a knife with a hole in the blade ?

You need to try one. ;)

Can’t be doing with thumb studs getting in the way during the peanut butter harvest.:)

To be honest Rob, I’m very keen on one handed opening. It’s ideal when holding what needs cutting in the other hand, especially string or rope. A stud does get in the way and limits the usefulness of the blade in many applications. Like salami slicing. :)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
What sort of outlet was it, Deekin? ... newspaper, website, knife/outdoors site, waking dream? :) There is a lot of unnecessary whipping up of scares around this issue. Politically, that has been the whole point. Lots of votes in a frightened population. So, it helps to be as precise as one can be with the information and how it is used. if there is doubt in your mind, or if you didn't have a chance to verify it (i.e. was it published by the Daily Mail) best keep it to yourself. There seems to be loot in fake news though, so if you cannot keep it still, at least monetize it. :)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Glad you found it. :)

Help me though.

The only references to one hand opening knives there are something the OP is making up and something added to the discussion by someone in Denmark. (That's a sorry tale of the kid getting done for the Gerber)

That it, though?

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can't find the reference, but I do remember reading that "single handed opening " knives are being considered to fall out with UK legal carry laws.
What sort of outlet was it, Deekin? ... newspaper, website, knife/outdoors site, waking dream? :) There is a lot of unnecessary whipping up of scares around this issue. Politically, that has been the whole point. Lots of votes in a frightened population. So, it helps to be as precise as one can be with the information and how it is used. if there is doubt in your mind, or if you didn't have a chance to verify it (i.e. was it published by the Daily Mail) best keep it to yourself. There seems to be loot in fake news though, so if you cannot keep it still, at least monetize it. :)
I could be wrong but I think I remember a discussion of that on this forum within the last year.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Glad you found it. :)

Help me though.

The only references to one hand opening knives there are something the OP is making up and something added to the discussion by someone in Denmark.

That it?

That is one of a few I have read, and those in law enforcement want them banned, and will gladly discuss their reasoning should you wish to further the discussion with them. I don't necessarily agree with it, as most of the knife crime I read about seems to involve knives from the kitchen drawer, or easily thieved from high street shops. Be rest assured, as with air rifles, restrictions on motorcycle licence, knife laws will be tightened up on, as always, it starts.with "chattering" and ends up in the legislation . As a matter of interest, as I assume you are a citizen of Canada how are your knife laws ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE