Folding bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
I like to think this is a bushcraft knife, its quite sturdy and the D2 blade keeps a good edge and is rust resistant. Best of all the open back makes it easy to clean, a problem I find with traditional folders that can get a bit gunky and you have to use a cotton bud and a bit of meths to give it a really good clean. For quite a large knife, it carries quite well clipped to a trouser pocket because its flat but can stick in your hip if you sit down wearing jeans!

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Looks nice, but I prefer a wooden handle.
The only and most important point of critisism is the weak point in the folding knife, the hinge or is it pivot?
I also would prefer a scandi grind and no second bevel.

I saw Shings Folders at the KnivesUK2007 show.There are NO weak points on them.They are heavier than my fixed bladed knives.I think the pivot is about 4.5mm,it is an industrial strength folder.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I saw them too, pretty certain not legal:D

Put it this way, if this country gets nuked these will be the only things left. and the thicker grind at the point is a nice touch

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
I like the knife although, for a buscraft knife, I'll always prefer a fixed blade.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the meaning of EDC ?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, from the pictures it is hard to tell things about folders, but having seen examples of Shing's work I don't doubt that it is strong. However...I am hesitant to call any folder a "Bushcraft" knife, and this looks like a good example of why.

I own a Sebenza, it is a lovely bit of engineering, very solid, very high quality, and a pretty good utility knife. As a bushcraft knife though it is really poor. The problem is the handle design. It is just way too narrow and rectangular. One of the defining characteristics of a good bushcraft knife is that it can be used to craft things, that it can be used heavily for extended periods without discomfort. From the picture, this knife looks every bit as rectangular as the Sebenza, which dug into my hand every time I had to get serious about cutting wood.

The only folders that I have handled that have started to get there as far as handle ergonomics for bushcraft go are the Harsey/Lonewolf T2, the Ritter/Benchmade RSKMk1 and the Al Mar SERE 2000. :( The first two will sit in a pocket acceptably, but the SERE is a beast and a long way from EDC without reinforced trousers!:rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do think a good SAK with saw. awl and a decent blade qualifies as a Bushcraft folder - as a knife to compliment a fixed blade rather than replace it (a la Nessmuk). I have one locking scandy ground spear point which is a compromise when I want to be more discrete although, if I could afford it, I'd take one of Stu Mitchells Mini Bushcrafter fixed blades with either a closed pouch sheath or pocket sheath (or even another discrete carry option that isn't a neck carry). A good pocket knife is an "as well as" rather than "instead of" choice for me. That changes the question a bit. I do agree though - for that weight - I'd go fixed. For a small folder thats suitable for EDC, I have a choice of a couple of slip joints - my SAK in belt pouch or my Ablett in my pocket at work.

Red

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
The great thing about a folder is that they seldom draw attention like a fixed blade will, even a small fixed blade. For EDC I'll usually have two pouches - a large lockblade and a multitool, like my Leatherman Charge.

I use and carry the Kabar Mule extensively It's a 3-3/4" blade of AUS-8A. It has a steel liner and a steel hinge pin. The handle design is one of the best ever on a folding lockblade. They normally cost about US$45.

The blade design is good and the steel and temper hold an edge long enough to dress out an entire Whitetail deer with without the need for re-sharpening. The handle design is such that this knife is also not too bad at chopping, which is not a quality that folders are reknown for. The Mule is one of the few folder's I'd baton with, and I have batoned with it before. It's a bit rough on the blade's black coating, but it works fine.

Here's a web image of what one looks like.
3050_large.jpg

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
It has a 6mm diameter pivot and stop pin, I think folders are a compromise in terms of handle shape because you have to accomodate the mechanism. Still its better to have a knife than without and if its going to be a folder, make it a really tough one although I must admit most of my cutting is done with a SAK or a knife that didn't quite go right.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE