Folding Bushcraft Knife??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LCB

May 13, 2024
surrey
Hello, looking for a decent bushcraft knife, laws very strict in my area so ideally something folding. Anybody have experience of such a knife they would recommend? (Had a look at TBS Wildcat which i really like the look of with the two blades so if anyone has experience of it please share!!)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Folding lock knife falls under the same law as a fixed blade. If legality is an issue you will need a sub 3” bladed non locking knife. Obviously if you have good reason to be carrying the knife because it’s needed for its specific purpose of being used for bushcraft, then you’ll be fine.

The 2 bladed TBS looks uncomfortable to use for long periods, and a few reviews have mentioned this

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
There's a few available depending on budget.

I tried a double blade tbs and found it uncomfortable to use for extended periods.

I now use the casstrom lars falt slipjoint for an EDC and it's perfect for everything I use it for (except batoning although others have done so with it)

If I had the money I would like an Orford Nomad.IMG_20221009_161312_201.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I've a TBS Wildcat and two EDC Boars, a Mk1 and a Mk2.

The Wildcat is a lovely tool and gives you the option of a scandi or flat grind blade, i like the thicker handle of the Wildcat over the Boar, but do find the protruding folded blade to be a bit uncomfortable in long term usage with the square corner of the closed blade being particularly troublesome and uncomfortable after a while, that being said, the corner can be adjusted for by altering your grip position on the handle, but your hand does tend to migrate back to that sharp corner with continued use of the knife.

Out of the two models, i use the EDC Boar more often than the Wildcat, purley because despite the slightly narrower handle, it's more comfortable in use and as many around here will tell you, i use my tools a lot.

At the moment though i use a Swiss Army Knife more than anything, worth considering if you are worried about the sheeple, a SAK is instantly recognisable and the great unwashed in the main don't see it as a threat.

53533535343_8d6d79f1df_z.jpg

What i really miss on the Wildcat though is a lanyard hole, difficult to have with the blades positioned as they are, but could have been easily achieved by TBS by having both blades open at the same end, but i guess they had their reasons.

Last edited:

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
Victorinox farmer is a great tool, comfortable, capable and reasonably priced.

I also like the Joker carbon folding knives, use them a lot. Awesome for the price, under £20.

Recently picked up a Nieto Junior which I haven't had enough time with to give an opinion but so far it's ok.

Svord Peasant mini cuts well but is awkward in pocket.

These are what I prefer but may not suit your needs.IMG_20240530_120943.jpg

LCB

May 13, 2024
surrey
I've a TBS Wildcat and two EDC Boars, a Mk1 and a Mk2.

The Wildcat is a lovely tool and gives you the option of a scandi or flat grind blade, i like the thicker handle of the Wildcat over the Boar, but do find the protruding folded blade to be a bit uncomfortable in long term usage with the square corner of the closed blade being particularly troublesome and uncomfortable after a while, that being said, the corner can be adjusted for by altering your grip position on the handle, but your hand does tend to migrate back to that sharp corner with continued use of the knife.

Out of the two models, i use the EDC Boar more often than the Wildcat, purley because despite the slightly narrower handle, it's more comfortable in use and as many around here will tell you, i use my tools a lot.

At the moment though i use a Swiss Army Knife more than anything, worth considering if you are worried about the sheeple, a SAK is instantly recognisable and the great unwashed in the main don't see it as a threat.

53533535343_8d6d79f1df_z.jpg

What i really miss on the Wildcat though is a lanyard hole, difficult to have with the blades positioned as they are, but could have been easily achieved by TBS by having both blades open at the same end, but i guess they had their reasons.
I was considering the boar, having looked a bit more and read a number of reviews about the wildcat it does seem to be uncomfortable in the hand. maybe i will go with something closer to the boar as i intend to use it a lot an i usually carry an SAK or opinel as well which can handle the slicer bits i'd need the flat grind for

Reactions: Nice65

LCB

May 13, 2024
surrey
Victorinox farmer is a great tool, comfortable, capable and reasonably priced.

I also like the Joker carbon folding knives, use them a lot. Awesome for the price, under £20.

Recently picked up a Nieto Junior which I haven't had enough time with to give an opinion but so far it's ok.

Svord Peasant mini cuts well but is awkward in pocket.

These are what I prefer but may not suit your needs.View attachment 88173
i have a farmer which i agree is great, only issue is its not the beefiest of blades so i'm wanting to upgrade to something a bit bigger and more capable in addition

Reactions: Nice65

LCB

May 13, 2024
surrey
There's a few available depending on budget.

I tried a double blade tbs and found it uncomfortable to use for extended periods.

I now use the casstrom lars falt slipjoint for an EDC and it's perfect for everything I use it for (except batoning although others have done so with it)

If I had the money I would like an Orford Nomad.View attachment 88166
Thanks I'll look into it

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I'll give another recommendation for the TBS boar folder. It has become my go to for carving, I find it very comfortable and I like the blade length. I have average sized hands, I would say if you had mallets for hands it might be a touch small.

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
had some nice looking G10 handled friction folders at The Bushcraft Show.
Those and the Orford Nomad seem like next level frikies to me. May have to give them a try.

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
I think someone on here has one for sale if I'm not mistaken?

What's the blue friky? Like that a lot.
Yes the blue one is a special, in the days of British Blades there was a member who’s forum name was Jal….. and he made a few knives from time to time. It is a really comfortable and a well made knife.

Stlh374

Jul 12, 2022
Shropshire
Depends on budget the casstrom lars falt slip joint is a great knife my ben orford nomad is fantastic but it wasn't cheap the field and steel jack rabbit is a great knife

Reactions: JB101

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have a few 'folding bushcraft knives' I will take a photo over the weekend, but as a kind of do it all, the Spyderco Native 5 in CPM110v is very hard to beat.

IMG20240531074559.jpg

you can choke up to the blade for detailed cuts, and for me every hand position is possible. Being a flat grind and stainless very good for food prep too.

Megatramp

Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
I have a few 'folding bushcraft knives' I will take a photo over the weekend, but as a kind of do it all, the Spyderco Native 5 in CPM110v is very hard to beat.

View attachment 88181

you can choke up to the blade for detailed cuts, and for me every hand position is possible. Being a flat grind and stainless very good for food prep too.
I have the Salt Native 5, LC200 blade. IMG_20240531_084205.jpgAbout as ergonomic as a Lego brick though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE