Foaming Oak Tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

White Elf

Jun 27, 2006
Surrey
I came across this foam substance on 2 Oak trees this morning, whilst walking in local woods.
It was raining quite heavily and the water was running down the trunks, but was quite bubbly, and resulting in clumps of what looked like soap suds.
I couldn't detect any odour at all.
I do have other photos if they may help.

Any ideas what it may have been?

Thanks

foaming_oak_tree_11_Dec_06.jpg

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
it map be the saponins in the bark. You can use it as a shampoo :D or a fish poison. The saponin is a steroid that kills reb blood cells on contact - it stuns the fish and they float to the surface ready to be picked up - THIS MAY BE ILLEGAL IN MOST COUNTRIES

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Pappa said:
It looks like cuckoo spit, from a froghopper. Although it does seem an unusual place to find cuckoo spit.

I agree it looks like cockoo spit and it is in a wierd place. Normally it is on leaves of low plants not trees.
Isn't it abit early ? :dunno: Oh dear More global warming, just wait until the north atlantic conveyor switches off :togo:

I am sure it is neither Slime-molds and cyanobacteria, they tend to be stiffer and thicker . But they can have a foamy phlegm apperance or look like beer froth.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have seen this stuff on Beech trees - but only after rain - it ain't cookoo spit!
But I don't know what it is..........

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
John Fenna said:
I have seen this stuff on Beech trees - but only after rain - it ain't cookoo spit!
But I don't know what it is..........

I don't know either. The saponin theory seems the most logical, so test it. Take a sample, if it is a saponin it should disapate an oil flim on water when dripped on the top. Beech bark does contain saponins. They commonly produced by many plants to deter insect attack.

:lmao:
Maybe we should think of name for the stuff. Other gooey stuff has names Cockoo spit, witches butter there is even a slime mold called dogs vomit. I was thinking maybe Pixie Gob. Or even name it after its founder White Elf ...?
:lmao:

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
I also noticed the same type of foam at the bottom of several Scots pine trees when in the woods on Monday, it was also chucking it down, I thought the foam was similar to what you get on the beach when the sea is rough.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
White Elf said:
I came across this foam substance on 2 Oak trees this morning, whilst walking in local woods.
It was raining quite heavily and the water was running down the trunks, but was quite bubbly, and resulting in clumps of what looked like soap suds.
I couldn't detect any odour at all.
I do have other photos if they may help.

Any ideas what it may have been?

Thanks
it looks like a desease called "wetwood" An infection caused by bacteria living inside the plant tissues. The bacteria ferment the plant fluids, resulting in death of nearby cells, and often causing exudations of fluid from the bark, often referred to as a Slime Flux.

Reactions: xylaria

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE