Flying with Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
Id check with the NZ customs about taking it in though. Are you traveling on a work or visitors visa. That might make your reason for taking the sharps as tools to earn money and will lead to more questions.

Best advice I have seen. don't take a risk. it takes nothing to check, and they are very helpful. if you do by email and print the email off and take it when you go. it provides an extra level of proof that you have complied with their regulations.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I always carry a line lock knife in my hold luggage with fishing kit but one time I had left a Fallkniven U2 Knife in a zipped pocket in my backpack (always with me on hols) hand luggage.

Only found that out when I returned home from the holiday, how they didn't spot it going through the security system I'll never know. :confused:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
While I haven't flown with a blade before, I would avoid anything distinctly Tacticool looking, or anything with a wiff of it it about it.

That's pretty much my point. But what's the definition of tactical or military? I've flown from Spain to London with a 9 inch bowie and it was never even questioned. Others in the thread have mentioned similar experiences with Khukuris.

If a knife is checked into your hold baggage it's not going to be accessible during flight so it won't be an issue "flying" with it. However if said knife is illegal at your destination then mailing it ahead probably isn't really an option either.

Might be worth considering the laws at any stopover as well.

Last edited:

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
It doesnt matter what the knife looks like, thats personal preference. There is no problem putting them in checked luggage just check airline regs for things you can't check, normally things that are a danger to the plane like fuel/ chemicals. If a knife is illegal at destination it doesnt matter what it looks like its still illegal. But with the UK having some of the strictest laws around I've not been anywhere that is not more relaxed about knives than here. There must be somewhere though.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I should say this question comes up alot, I fly with knives all the time, they are just tools and if you have a good legal reason to have one there should be no problem but it all comes down to local laws. My mate left his leatherman wave in his hand luggage by mistake which ended up with the police being called at the UK airport and loosing it. Fine checked but only say if you were camping when away, the hardest part is getting to the airport in this country within the law. Just saying I felt like taking it on holiday will not be a good enough reason.

I find it a real shame in this country a knife an not be viewed as the tool it is, it makes carrying something just in case impossible but its the idiots that go around stabbing people who should be blamed not law makers or enforcers.

On a side note I was in a computer shop and my mate wanted a mouse, the woman was struggling to un box it so he could try it for size. He says "I would help but I havent got my knife today (meaning SAK)" she nearly goes nuts getting ready to give him the mouse and anything else he wants, the world really has gone mad!

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far. You'll be fine with your tools in checked luggage. As with a fair few others on this site, I've flown with my bushcraft and carving tools without any problems. I did on one occasion forget that my laplander saw was in my carry-on luggage flying from Costa Rica to the US. Funnily enough it went unnoticed until our stopover in Denver. A little worrying to see an airport official waving a 6" folding saw and asking "Whose is this?" While I lost the saw (could have had it posted but would have missed my flight) there wasn't any fuss, they just told me to be more careful with my packing next time I go camping.
I've even had my checked luggage randomly searched at the airport and the officials didn't even blink an eye at my hatchet, they were more concerned about my little bag of electronics bits and pieces (mainly chargers and external hard disks).
Like others have said, there's no harm in checking, most airlines are fine with people carrying tools and camping equipment, just make sure everything'll be fine once you're in NZ, but I think you'll be fine.
Looking forward to hearing tales of your trip when you return.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
because going on holiday does not require the use of a fixed or locking knife. If you are going on a holiday that may require this then you would be fine, two weeks at the beach on the med would not. Camping etc would. Thats the law, although its down to the interpretation of pc plod

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
As long as it's in the hold there won't be a problem. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR CUSTOMS/MAF IS CLEANLINESS.
Totally spotless. If there is ANY organic material like blood, soil or plant matter you will pay for it either losing it, big fine or pay for it to be cleaned.
Seriously, that is the biggest worry. Knife laws here are essentially common sense - out in the bush, knife on your belt, no problem if you're camping/tramping/hunting etc.
I'm pretty sure you can't bring bayonets in though.
Actually I'd consider buying one here - there are quite a few really good knife makers here, from Svord to small local ones, and some real cheap and cheerful, but actually very good ones you can pick up in Hunting and Fishing.
And it's a nice souvenir.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
because going on holiday does not require the use of a fixed or locking knife. If you are going on a holiday that may require this then you would be fine, two weeks at the beach on the med would not. Camping etc would. Thats the law, although its down to the interpretation of pc plod

Are you sure that's the law in New Zealand? After all; that's where he's going.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have no idea what the law is in NZ, that's just about travelling to the airport in the UK. It refers back to an earlier post.

I would think that traveling to the airport with it would be the same as if you were moving with it; you're taking it with you and tyhat's the best way to get it there. As I said, when I brought one into the UK (a 9 inch bowie knife) nobody batted an eye.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I would think that traveling to the airport with it would be the same as if you were moving with it; you're taking it with you and tyhat's the best way to get it there. As I said, when I brought one into the UK (a 9 inch bowie knife) nobody batted an eye.

Exactly, but we get people voluntarily inhibiting their actions because it might, might, be interpreted as an infringement in the eye of an over- zealous or ignorant police officer. Unfortunately these inhibited actions tend to become the norm.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I was coming back to the UK from North Carolina a while ago, but post-911, and I had checked in my hold baggage with a whole bundle of "stuff" - katanas, knives, three CO2 pistols that looked just like 357 Magnums, another 3 CO2 pistols that looked like 1911s, a couple of air-rifles etc. One of the "357" pistols was in a cheap plastic case. Well, having checked my bag in, I was walking to the gate when I got a tannoy, asking me to go to Security. I get there, my bag was open displaying my goodies in all their glory, and they said "this pistol case isn't padlocked". I pointed out that the other stuff had no cases at all, and they said "they're fine, but rules state that if a gun is in a case, it must be padlocked...." So off to a stall that sold mini-padlocks for $3, and all was then well.

I still can't understand the logic of that!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was coming back to the UK from North Carolina a while ago, but post-911, and I had checked in my hold baggage with a whole bundle of "stuff" - katanas, knives, three CO2 pistols that looked just like 357 Magnums, another 3 CO2 pistols that looked like 1911s, a couple of air-rifles etc. One of the "357" pistols was in a cheap plastic case. Well, having checked my bag in, I was walking to the gate when I got a tannoy, asking me to go to Security. I get there, my bag was open displaying my goodies in all their glory, and they said "this pistol case isn't padlocked". I pointed out that the other stuff had no cases at all, and they said "they're fine, but rules state that if a gun is in a case, it must be padlocked...." So off to a stall that sold mini-padlocks for $3, and all was then well.

I still can't understand the logic of that!

It sounds like that was as you were boarding the flight at the US end? If so, the regs actually require ALL real guns and knives (and several other items) to be in a locked, hardside case checked into hold baggage when flying (or on train travel for that matter) That said, if they are inside your suitcase (providing that said suitcase is a hardside and lockable one) then that in itself counts as a locked, hardsided case.

Here's a link to TSA's website: www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Actually, it was in a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase. And the rifles and pistols were all airguns, not "proper"ones, although the knives and katana set were real. Guess I got off lucky!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've flown with a handgun (a real Colt Combat Comander) packed inside my duffle bag (also softsided) but that said, the gun was in a locked plastic (hardside) case which in turn was packed into the duffle bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE