Flying with Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Redwall

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
In the next month I am planning to jump aboard a jet and make my merry way to New Zealand for a 12 month working holiday. Being the tight fisted bushcrafter that I am I have little desire to purchase a new knife or axe when I arrive.

Is it possible to stick them in checked luggage and take them (assuming inside weight limit etc) or would it be better to post myself my knife.

Any other feedback welcome on general legality, necessity of taking it with me (axe is probably a too heavy and unnecessary anyway) or whatever.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
So long as the items are "legal" in the country you are going too - then there is no problem packing them in your "checked in" luggage :) Posting them out may be hit and miss and you may get hit with import duties etc !!! :)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Went to Canada recently and took a couple of knives in my hold luggage. Then on the flight they brought round the customs form where I had to declare that I was bringing knives in. Spent a 9 hour flight thinking they were going to take my lovely homemade knife off me. Turns out they didn't bat an eyelid or even want to see it.

Id check with the NZ customs about taking it in though. Are you traveling on a work or visitors visa. That might make your reason for taking the sharps as tools to earn money and will lead to more questions.

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
Should be ok but check with NZ customs well in advance. If possible get written confirmation (there is always at least one jobsworth at every customs desk, an offical document tends keep them quiet ;)). Also do the same with UK customs to avoid any problems when you return (there are jobsworths over here too). Also check with the airline, it might not really be necessary but better to be sure.

I'll give you a couple of examples from my experience, as an ex military pilot, before dispensing some advise...

1) Some time in the 1990's I was on my way to Belfast from Heathrow on a scheduled civilian flight. All of my flying gear was in the checked in luggage (using my substantial excess baggage allowance at the time) - this included my, issued, aircrew survival knife (vicious looking thing, curved, but actually with a blunt point and designed purely to cut seat harnesses in the event of an emergency). I was having a coffee in the departure lounge when I got the "bing bong" and the public address system announced that my presence was required at security. On arrival I was met with my hold baggage contents spread on a counter and some little guy in a tie, carrying a clip board (I forget his name, but for the purposes of this post, let's refer to him as "Adolf")

"What's this?" Adolf barked, holding up the knife.

"It's an aircrew survival knife issued to the British Military, it was attached to one of two flying suits, also issued by the British Military and was in a bag containing one flying helmet and one pair of flying boots, also issued by the British Military." I replied.

"Well...er...it shouldn't be travelling on a civilian aircraft." said Adolf.

"The flight booking reference is MOD, my presence is required at the destination and I was instructed, in writing, as to the packing list, thank you for compromising me in London - where do you want your career to go next?" was my reply. (effusive apologies all round etc).

2) Returning from Canada, in uniform, on a military flight? I had a Leatherman on my belt...

"You can't take that on board, sir," said the RAF wallah behind his desk.

"Why not?" said I

"Because it's against regulations " He replied.

"Listen fellah, I'm travelling back to UK after a 4 month tour in Canada, I was a staff pilot here (pointing to my wings) and I know all about DAC (dangerous air cargo) having refused, on occasion, to carry it myself, as is my privilege as an aircraft captain. Furthermore, I am travelling back to UK with most of C company, 2 PARA. If I were to try to hijack the aircraft with a Leatherman, how long - in seconds - would you rate my life expectancy?"

No Joy! He would not be budged and I lost a Leatherman!

My point is, is that, post 9/11, airport security has become increasingly fascistic (I can still remember a line of weeping women at JFK - subjected to their "security" )

Knifefan gave good advice - make sure they are legal at your destination and, I am loathe to say this, - "Know your rights"

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I've carried many sharps all over the world in hold luggage without so much as a by your leave... I left the customs woman in Calgary in fits of giggles when I showed her my Bison Bushcraft knife which I had declared... She said her 8 yr old son had bigger knives Pffft

Redwall

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
Thanks guys, good info all round. The only reference I was able to find on NZ customs was to not bringing in "Firearms or weapons". Seems a bit vague on the "weapons" front. I'm travelling on a 12 month working holiday visa for those that asked.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I took a Bison Bushcraft knife to NZ, it was in my hold luggage, I was asked what it was for and if it was clean from any biologicals, if they looked it would have been. When questioned i explained i was there to camp and the knife was for food prep, all was ok allong with the folders i had too.

Louis

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks guys, good info all round. The only reference I was able to find on NZ customs was to not bringing in "Firearms or weapons". Seems a bit vague on the "weapons" front. I'm travelling on a 12 month working holiday visa for those that asked.

I haven't been to NZ but I would think that most bushcraft/hunting/working knives should be fine. Avoid bayonets, daggers, and similar.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I got questioned once about a puukko in checked luggage, it was 1988 and flying LHR to Helsinki. The knife hadn't been detected on the way in, but the official seemed very keen on preventing it getting back home :-/

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have flown with Moras, custom knives, parangs, SAKs, UK"legal" penknives and even a Tool Logic credit card size knife and never had a problem with any of them.
Everything went - undeclared - as hold luggage (except the TL card knife which I had forgotton was in my wallet - they allowed me on board with it in my pocket!) and the only thing I have ever been questioned about was some herbal medicine (a custom brew I have to stop me developing kidney stones) which was confiscated as the bottle was too big!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I am travelling back to UK with most of C company, 2 PARA. If I were to try to hijack the aircraft with a Leatherman, how long - in seconds - would you rate my life expectancy?"

This made me giggle. I've heard of armed police having yoghurt confiscated at airport security under the no liquids rule :rolleyes:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Checked luggage is usually fine, however I have had my 'checked' luggage checked before it could be checked and some sharps removed for 'separate transit'. Admittedly this wasn't while flying between the UK and NZ, however I would suggest some additional wrapping for your tools such as lots of bubble wrap and a sealed padded envelope, just in case.

:)

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I have never been to NZ, but have carried knives in hold luggage to other destinations without a problem, inc USA & Canada.
I dont know if you have seen 'Passport Patrol' on telly ? It is about NZ customs, they seem strict regarding importing food, and very strict about something they find that is not 'declared'.
If you declare your knife and explain why you have it then you should be fine. They wont allow illegal knives in though,- things like fantasy daggers, flick knives, butterfly knives, samurai swords etc. But they are illegal here as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE