fly fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i got given this little lot today , he knows i go fly fishing but i have never done my own flys, well it looks like i have the tools now, just dont have the know how.....:lmao:
IMG00222-20091017-2219.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There is nothing more satisfying than tying your own fly and catching a trout on it (except maybe a salmon:) ).

Have fun and be prepared to experiment.

I'm jealous though; that kit puts my basic set to shame ;)

Broch

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
MN

that's an awesome looking set. Do you know who made it?
I'm looking for one myself as i want to get into tying my own flies. Not entirely sure what to go for.

Do you folks have any recommendations?

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Nice set. In my experience, no substitute for lessons. I did a course many years ago with Jacqueline Wakeford and it has stood me in good stead ever since. Deerman's offer is ace :)

I'd also pick up a couple of books. I'd recommend Wakeford's book on technique. It seems to be out of print, but I've used it more than any other as a reference, and there are old copies about. Also John Goddard's Waterside Guide is an excellent way to keep everything is good context.

Anyway, looks like a sweet set, have fun!

Chris

Overlander30

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2009
Lancashire
I'm in lancashire and am happy to give a tutorial on tying flies.

there doesnt seem to be a vice in the pic? if there isnt one, you'll need one!

barn owl says its not difficult and he's right unless we re talking caddis flies, certain salmon flies, may flies, in fact actually, quite a few things are pretty difficult if you havent done it before.

Overlander30

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2009
Lancashire
or when you finish with the glue and realise that you ve trapped a feather wing with a single thread which you couldnt see because it was just behind the rim of the magnifing glass :aargh4:

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
there was no vice but i have one now and i have tied a few buzzers so far, i have seen the fly tying videos on u-tube and they have been a great help. would like some lessons so my take you up on the offers after middlewood . as for who made the set i am unsure as it was a freind of a friend but as far as i know he just got to old to fish so gave up tying them.

thanks for all of your help and comments.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE