Fly Fishing (is it Bushcraft ?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blencathra

Dec 12, 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
Is it considered Bushcraft ??

I fancy giving it a go, no very little about it but like the idea of using no live bait and catching my supper.

I happen to have come across a deal on a Greys Missionary 9'3 #6/7.

looks like a really nice bit of kit, no idea if it is anygood, what the numbers mean etc....BUT, like any kit, it feels good to have it and it was v.v.v.v cheap compared to web price.

I need a reel etc... do not know what to get to balance the kit, really like the portability, so want a light weight non bulky set up so i can whip it out whenever i fancy.

Any advice warmly received.

:D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I do a bit of fly fishing every now and then :D.

The kit tends to be very light weight in comparison to course or sea fishing. I have a pretty cheap rod and real i think it cost me about 30 quid all in with a few flies, line and leader line. The better quality line especialy makes casting easier than heavy cheap line.
I struggled when i first started as i was trying to teach my self how to cast :rolleyes: (many a fly stuck in the back of my leg and neck) until i met a guy who gave me a few pointers which made things a lot easier !
If you are ever around this way i could give you a few pointers im not great at it but have caught my fair share in the past :D

Few starting tips though

Dont bend your wrist when casting ! important or it takes the power out of your cast.
Unlike most course fishing use the rod almost like a archers bow the weight of the line should bend the rod as it flies behind you as this will sling shot it forward again.
There are two types of fishing i have used dry fly and wet fly. The dry fly is as it suggests the fly is coated in a silicone like substance so it floats on teh surface. The wet fly stuff is more like a tiny little lure taht you drag through the water under the surface like a little fish.

Last but no least just give it a go and dont be put off by the JR hartley types it a lot of fun :D

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Blencathra said:
Is it considered Bushcraft ?? :D

I guess it (fishing) rates as a very useful skill to have when in the backwoods, as indeed is a degree of marksmenship. However, this presupposes you have either a rifle or rod with you. Don’t then see how on its own it can be anything but “fly fishing”!

This question does though rather come back yet again to what constitutes bushcfat in 2006. And in truth I’m not at all clear myself! I would also hesitate to say it was bushcfatrt if you fished all day and then camped out all night, as I just don’t see carp fisherman in that light!

Cheers
Ps: I fully realise you can fish with just hook & line.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Klenchblaize said:
I guess it (fishing) rates as a very useful skill to have when in the backwoods, as indeed is a degree of marksmenship. However, this presupposes you have either a rifle or rod with you. Don’t then see how on its own it can be anything but “fly fishing”!

This question does though rather come back yet again to what constitutes bushcfat in 2006. And in truth I’m not at all clear myself! I would also hesitate to say it was bushcfatrt if you fished all day and then camped out all night, as I just don’t see carp fisherman in that light!

Cheers
Ps: I fully realise you can fish with just hook & line.

I dont know if you can ring fence bushcraft as i see it. My opinion is its just outdoor skills. Fair enough i dont think fly or carp fishing is an integral skill but when your outside in that situation you are learning outdoor skills all the time.

The way i got into bushcraft was carp fishing overnight ;) . First we stopped taking tents ony fishing shelters, then we stoped taking BBQ`s and using fires, then we stopped taking fishing shelters and used Bivy`s and eventually stopped taking rods lolol. I dont see it as an integral part of bushcraft BUT anything that gets you outdoors and using your outdoors mind i consider bushcraft :D

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I think it's alright and that the term 'bushcraft' is such a wide-spread one with so many connotations. (Did I spell that right?) I mean, it's not particularly bushcraft for me to bring a package of cigarettes and a trangia stove with me into the bush, but whatever, I'm not trying to fool myself. :)

Adam

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Well flyfishing takes a lot more skill than bait fishing. Think of flyfishing as stalking and hunting and baitfishing as trapping. Basically you are trying to fool a fish into thinking that litle bit of fluff with a hook in it is an insect or a small fish. Not as easy as it sounds, but when you have caught one, the wait will have been worth it! I fly fish in the sea as I'm an akward sod and don't believe in making life easy. Like most saltie fluff chuckers, I have more blanks than catches, but it's soo much better when I do catch. I got into it as I was fed up of carrying all the kit for baitfishing. Fluffing is so much more minimalist, but it costs more as it is still considered a gentlemen's sport, and they can afford it. Grr... My fly rod is worth £450, but i got it as a pre production prototype for next to nothing. The greys missionary is quite a good rod, so if you are happy with it, then go for it. The numbers refer to the rod and line weight, which should match. ie if the rod is a 7 weight (#7) then the line should be too, or the line could be one heavier, say an #8. Then you have the type of line, floating, sinking, intermediate etc, and the taper, either weight forward (the end you cast with is thicker and heavier) or double taper where the weight is in the middle. I would say for a novice try a weight forward floater. To this you tie a leader which is normally tapered. For sea or carp I use a 7ft leader of 20lb then tie a 10lb tippet on that which the fly is tied to. If you are after trout then I have no idea as I don't do that, but a lot lighter lines I would have thought. Are you near the sea? If so have you thought of sea fluffing? Have a look here if you are: http://www.ukswff.co.uk/index.htm

Also see here: http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/sal****er.html (BUT THE SWEAR FILTER WON'T ALLOW THE LINK BECAUSE IT SAYS 'SAL****ER' SO COPY AND PASTE THEN ENTER 'SALT' AND 'WATER' AS ONE WORD. where the stars are. Grr etc...)

If you go to their homepage there should be info on regular fly fishing too.

Most important thing is to get some casting lessons straight away. This is most important or you'll start with some awful bad habits. As someone said, keep the wrist straight. It is a good idea to tuck the butt of the rod into your sleeve cuff to stop it moving. The trick to casting is the flick. If you can do this at the right time you will cast with minimal effort. The flick is best described as when you flick paint off a brush. The sudden stop is what sends the fly line out. One way to practice is to get the butt section of the rod and hold it the wrong way up, so that the butt is in the air. Now flick it as you would cast and stop suddenly. The reel seat clamp should flick up and strike the tightening ring. Now practice doing this back and forth from 10 til 2, keeping the arm bolt upright, and not moving the elbow. Eventually, as you leatn to cast and get more line out you will also push the forearm back and forth a bit too, but let's not go there yet. The main thing is keep the wrist locked and keep the arm stright up, don't bend to either side. See here for the best casting resource on the net, written I think, by the guy who taught me (Berlin on the UKSWFF forum who is somewhere up your way) http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/contents.shtml

Good luck and tight loops!!

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Fly fishing is catching fish on artificial,man made insect and is definately bushcraft. a simple red feather tied to a hook makes a fly that can be jerked through the water to simulate a worm and consequenty makes exellent 'bait' in areas where it is difficult to find natural bait.You dont even need a whip to cast it as it is effective as a drop line if you put a split shot on the line. Catching makarel with feathers is technically a form of fly fishing and anyone whos ever tried will tell you just how effective that is for providing a wild meal!

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
On the basis of what those far wiser than I have had to say here I’m rather comforted to see in print that “bushcraft”, unless you’re hooked-on veganism, will demand some 50% hunting skills of the participant.

I’ve always thought it very unhelpful that in this country such is associated with charging across the countryside on horseback and wearing a red frock!

Cheers

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
To answer the original post - "Is fly fishing considered Bushcraft" ?

In my opinion Fly fishing can be considered as Bushcraft if you fish with natural materials. e.g. hooks made from bone or blackthorn needles, home made cordage for line etc. As Bushwacker Bob says "a simple feather tied to a hook is very effective".

If you find the need to nip down to the local fishing tackle shop and buy a carbon fibre rod and a nicely balanced reel, or a Greys Missionary 9'3 #6/7 (What ever that is?)
Then I would definitely call that Fly Fishing - Not Bushcraft. ;)

I wonder if some hunters with high powered rifles believe that they are participating in some kind of Bushcraft :confused:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Fire Starter said:
I wonder if some hunters with high powered rifles believe that they are participating in some kind of Bushcraft :confused:

Talk about light the “blue touch paper and retire”!

I could 'rise' to this but other than observing the following I'll try very hard not to: The answer then to the questions is surely only when attired in the new & funky “BushcrfatUK ventile jacket!!!!!! :lmao:

Cheers

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
Klenchblaize said:
Talk about light the “blue touch paper and retire”!

I could 'rise' to this but other than observing the following I'll try very hard not to: The answer then to the questions is surely only when attired in the new & funky “BushcrfatUK ventile jacket!!!!!! :lmao:

Cheers

They dont call me "Fire Starter for nothing" Klenchblaize :D
Personally I do not own such a garment!

I suppose it all comes down to one's interpretation of what bushcraft is!

In my opinion bushcraft is a study of nature and the natural environment, using your knowledge to practice taking from nature and available natural resources to live/survive off the land. Just like natives do, except they call it living.

If you head off into the woods with your taupe, microfibre sleeping bag, metal pots and gas stove - is'nt that called camping? or if you prefer Bushcamping?

In my opinion it seems very few actually practice Bushcraft and most are obsessed with kit and more kit, even the great Ray Mears wants to sell you a knife for £300+

To me Bushcraft is the challenge of providing your needs from nature and you should leave your "Greys Missionary 9'3 #6/7" at home unless you are heading off for a spot of fly fishing.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I can see your point firestarter :)

But..... lol

When i go out doing what i call "bushcraft" i do take a tarp and a good bag with me and i consider that bushcraft. My fire is not a gas stove but a natural one, my bedding is usualy also natural and every time i learn something new. I have also caught fish to eat but using a handline with modern line and hooks. Also most of my kit is ex mod and cheap as chips
I think its a little elitist to say that only going out in nawt but yer home made nettle undies can be called bushcraft :D ;)

Like you say its all down to the individual :D

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
So your camping in the woods and instead of a tent your using a tarp, I thought a "bushcrafter" would rather be sleeping in a shelter made from natural materials.

I think its great that anyone can get out there and practice bushcraft and it is down to the individual as to how deep you go. However, Lets not forget the original question here, I do think Carbon fibre fishing rods and fancy reels are stretching the definition of bushcraft to the limit and is typical of the kit culture developing around the term bushcraft

Better to sit down and fathom out how to catch that fish with whats around you
including making your own line! ;)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Honest mate i do get your point i just think its a sliding scale. I rarely have the time to make my own shelter every time although i have in the past and enjoyed every minute :D

Ok maybe the nettle undies was a little extreme :rolleyes: dont know why i cant get the impression out of my head now :werd: but its very hard not to take things man made with you for instance clothing man made fibers and the souls of your shoes etc so where do you draw the line and say somethng isnt bushcraft (sliding scale).

"I do think Carbon fibre fishing rods and fancy reels are stretching the definition " i do think your right in regards to the rod its self BUT it cant catch fish on its own and thats where bushcraft comes in ;)

Blencathra

Dec 12, 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
$$~~~### Hell,

Fellas, didnt want to start a war or anything, we all have a love for the outdoors and a mutual interest in using the natural environment to enjoy ourselves and relax. not like any of us are 'really surviving', afterall wouldnt be on the www if that was the case.

I love kipping out under the stars, or in a shelter (made by my hands or a sweat shop producing tarps / flysheets whatever) the smell of the campfire on your clothes dumped by the washing machine on sunday night always tells the family you have had a top week end etc.....

I just fancy getting back to some of my childhood, fishing with a garden cane / line and hooks on the lancaster canal.

Now I have a shimano telescopic for taking on holiday and now i fancy a go at fly fishing. never done it before, never had the inkling or money before. It looks like a pleasurable way of spending a few hours in the countryside (bush) and I would like to get some skills back to teach my kids like my dad taught me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE