fly fishing beginners combo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
And if yer going to be mainley fishing on lakes where you need to get some distance then you may want to consider a 10ft rod with a 7 weight line.
As my take anywhere rod I have a 9 ft with a number 6 line .

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
As has been said, you could do worse than a 9 foot rod with a 7 weight line. Look around on the sites above & you should be able to get a rod, reel & line for £50ish. I have use the Ron Thomson in the first link above and it's not a bad rod at all. You are probably best getting a deal online than going to a shop, unless there is a good game fishing shop nearby.

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
it depends what your going to be fishing lakes or rivers, my goto river kit is a 7ft rod, and lightweight reel, so its as light as a feather to carry any distance, and will cast plenty far enough for nearly all situations,

the shakespeare rods and combo kits are pretty good with a reasonable rod and reel, give someone like these guys a ring and discuss with them your requirements http://www.mullarkeys.co.uk/fishing/fishing-rods-(including-kits-and-combos)/trout-fly-fishing-rods/0/shakespeare/9811/

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
As has been said, you could do worse than a 9 foot rod with a 7 weight line. Look around on the sites above & you should be able to get a rod, reel & line for £50ish. I have use the Ron Thomson in the first link above and it's not a bad rod at all. You are probably best getting a deal online than going to a shop, unless there is a good game fishing shop nearby.

Ive got the ron thompson starter kit for £50 and i use that all the time ,its good enough

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
starter kits are fine but as you get into it you will upgrade, personally i would buy individual kit and put more of my budget into the rod and get a cheap reel as mostly the reel is just a glorified line holder, i never play fish off the reel and still to this day use 10 quid reel off ebay but my rod is a few hundred quids worth. Also consider a second hand rod id rather have a quality second hand rod than a new budget rod as the action of the rod can mean the difference between a graceful cast or line landing like trout pellets. Budget lines (£10) or less sold as mill ends are ok to start with but only really last a season again you get what you pay for but for starting out they will be fine. When it comes to terminal tackle a bag, scissors or nips, forceps, net, priest, flourocarbon line, and a box of flies a bottle of gink and a bottle of xinc and your more or less fully equiped.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I was given a Carbotec rod a few years back for my birthday - My dad was friends with Martin Cairncross at the time so I was quite lucky. lol

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trout-Fly-Fishing-Expert-Approach/dp/1586670662

I can recommend the book if you are just getting into it.

Mine is a 9'6" rod - as said I would spend more on the rod than the other kit. - a cheap reel will do a perfectly good job. - I have no idea about lines I'm afraid. I have a no. 6 and a no. 7

do you have a local angling shop? they would be of help - might be able to cut you a nice deal.

Atb
Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Thinking about it I might have a fly reel in the shed - Rimfly or something, many years old but in good nick.

I see Aldi are doing fly kits for £17.99 form 31-5-10

Sorted - My reel is a Rimfly cartridge - perfectly adequate.

atb

Andy

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
any of the above will catch fish but the key is comfort something that sits nice in your hand (youll be working the rod all day) i started with cheap stuff and still caught but as previously mentioned i quickly upgraded rods after trying other anglers during on the bank advice. The best thing you can buy is advice on watercraft, entemology and getting to know the hatches stuff that can in some degree be learned from books but mostly on the bank doing it and learning by your mistakes and other anglers successes. Most fisherman will want to tell you how its done over a pint :-D.

Cledan99

Apr 24, 2010
mid wales
Its worth saying that knowledge is more important than tackle, especially in the early stages.
The guy who taught me to cast had a Sage rod costing in excess of £600, and it was far to much for me to handle (you wouldn't teach someone to drive in a Ferrari, would you?) at that time, more important he advised on flys time to fish, where to fish etc, and under his guidance I did catch a fish 1st time out, with an old Berkley rod costing a tenner from a boot sale, and I hauled plenty out with it in my first year or so...
Most tackle catches anglers not fish, and a £600 rod is not 6x better than a £100 rod, which may not be 10x better than a £10 boot sale bargain...
tightlines

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE