Fly Fishing - Beginner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Mackerel on the fly are excellent... I've only caught a couple but they go like a mini-marlin. Pollack should be incredible as you can usually weigh three macks for one pollack. Much under-rated, both for catching and for eating are garfish - tiny streamers with a wool body and a small (size 8 or 10) trailing treble do the trick. Honestly the only better tasting fish I've had than a mackerel straight from the sea, is garfish. Granted, the lurid green bones are a bit off putting for some folk, but I'd have it every day over any other fish I've tasted.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
All this advice is spot on. Lessons first, to make sure you don't pick up bad habits, then watch others (how they retrieve, counting before they retrieve) and fish with a friend who you know will share info. Some fishermen can be really selfish and refuse to tell you what they are using, seeing it as jolly bad form f you ask them. Me, I don't mind telling people.

Some people will tell you not to spend much on a reel as it's only for storing line. You'll get your preferences and then you'll find your own way.

Don't forget, it's called fishing, not catching; so you will get blanks, but even then you go home with a soul full of calm.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fascinating though it might be to explore "A quick question: Is saltwater fly fishing popular there? If so, for what species?" lets keep focussed eh?
We are all trying to help the OP here and answer the question they posed...........

The OP mentioned he was familiar with saltwater fishing. It's possible he'd be interested as well. Especially as he didn't stipulate either way.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
personally i find books on hobbies date quickly and whilst casting stays the same the latest gear / flies and terminology is all well explained in a few issues of a decent magazine... i taught myself to cast because my dad had no interest in fly fishing only coarse so i got a split cane rod from a car boot for 50p about 26 years ago spent a school summer holidays casting on grass got reasonably good at it and convinced my maths teacher to take me...i learnt very well although i snapped the cane rod messing with it later to learn it was a hexagraph and worth a few quid :-D the best thing about fly fishing is its relatively cheap. Invest in a good rod (doesnt have to be mega bucks) the reel is largely unimportant although an arbor style reel helps keep your line less curly (i play my fish with the line i never wind onto the reel to play them) buy a cheap mill end line whilst learning and once your relatively good buy a nice floating line, some flurocarbon leader and a selection of flies. Learning to use the gear can take a few sessions learning entomology and watercraft is a lifetime of learning... bottom line is just make sure if your aching your doing it wrong and as long as you go home happy your already a fisherman and bagging a meal is the cream on top.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....... bottom line is just make sure if your aching your doing it wrong and as long as you go home happy your already a fisherman and bagging a meal is the cream on top.

And that is fishing in a nutshell. Any fishing; course fishing, fly fishing, saltwater, freshwater.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"Very few things get as heated as a fishing (especially a fly fishing) discussion"
ONLY because of misguided SNOBS - eg infamous thick english cricketer on tv "Fly-fishing is so much more INTELLECTUAL"... = :lmao: :lmao::lmao:
:confused:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"who ever heard of a Scottish cricketer?"
Well, it's a really BORING game, hence its unpopularity in Scotland, but I guess all the teams that were beaten by Freuchie have heard of them...
:p

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
"Very few things get as heated as a fishing (especially a fly fishing) discussion"
ONLY because of misguided SNOBS - eg infamous thick english cricketer on tv "Fly-fishing is so much more INTELLECTUAL"... = :lmao: :lmao::lmao:
:confused:

There's a reason it's called coarse fishing..........that's because it's vulgar!😉😋

Well that's what I used to say to my sergeant major anyway.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
I notice people are increasingly writing "COURSE" FISHING = quite right - tho I don't do it personally, it's simply vulgar to describe people who do, as vulgar...
There's much more brain-work in course fishing than snobby fly-fishing :eek:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
No... it's coarse fishing and always has been. You can choose to be wrong if you like, that's fine, but it doesn't alter the fact that the name is spelled coarse not course.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Language changes... It WAS course originally - no doubt penned by a snob - but I like the strike-back of COURSE - especially in the class-ridden snobbish "uk"

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Fly fishing by j r Hartley !

The funny thing about that is that the telly ad was made in 1983 but the book was not published until 1991, of course there was no such book when the ad was made but someone (Roddy Bloomfield) cashed in on the ad’s popularity and got a real fly fisherman (Michael Russell) to write the book eight years after the telly ad and made a killing on it. Talk about sensing an opportunity. Oh and J.R. Hartley, real name actor Norman Lumsden didn’t actually start fishing until he was 85 years old.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I hope that you enjoy fly fishing. There will be times to go home with a blank. Other times, you bring home supper!
Learn to cast, learn to "fish the fly", learn fish behaviour, study up on a maddening selection of aquatic insects, learn to tie your own flies.

Maybe you get curious about buying the parts and learning to build your own rods = not such a bad way to go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE