Flint Whistle !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Last Saturday on the Norfolk coast Found a natural flint whistle. Yes you are reading right. It's a round flint about the size of a golf ball with a 1 - 1.5 mm diameter hole going into it. When you blow straight into the hole holding the flint about 1 inch away it gives a great sound.

No one I've spoken to has heared of anything like it but I can't help wondering if any of these musical stones have been found on prehistoric sites. It's definately easier to pick up a likely stone and blow than sit and make an Ash whistle.

Just goes to show what you can get if you use the bushcraft skill of keeping your eyes open a bit.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
but I can't help wondering if any of these musical stones have been found on prehistoric sites.
Even if they have been found they've proabably been cataloged as just another piece of flint.... (or a ritual object.... they do that alot.)

:)
Ed

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Wow what a find, does it look like it was man made or could it have been somthing that was imbedded in the flint that eroded out

On a documentry i watched a few days ago i saw the most impressive flint tool i have ever seen being shown from a museum archive

it was a flint hand axe which had a perfect fossil of a shell on it, the maker had taken great care to make the axe around the shell so it was perfectly in the middle of one side as decoration, and the flint around it had been ground away so that it stood out from the axe :shock:

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
It looks to me like it's entirely natural, In the last year or so I've found a few natural instruments, tree buttresses that resound nicely when slapped and so on, saves having to take an instrument along to have a bit of music when I'm out and about.

It reminds me of the book 'stoneage soundtracks' by Paul Deveraux

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE