flint tools,

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
hi all i was wondering if any body can tell me what tools i need for flint knapping, i heard that that i need antlers to do the job but i cant efford anything at the mo, is there any way i can make my own tools out of something els,
i would be very grateful for any info for what tools i need and how i can make them?
many thanx
monkey boy

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
There is an excellent book, Flintknapping by Whittaker. It will teach you (as well as a book can) the techniques, materials and tools you need.

Antler isn't needed, though it is a useful material for a number of tools used for certain flintknapping techniques, such as tines for pressure flaking and crowns for soft-hammer percussion. Alternatives are available e.g. a copper 'bopper' (search on this forum) or a copper pressure-flaker. A hard, fist-sized quartzite pebble is a very good hammerstone for hard-hammer percussion and costs nothing.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
See if you can find a DVD/Video as well. Sometimes the descriptions in a book are harder to understand than watching.
A quick and easy pressure flaker can be made by knocking a thick copper nail or brazinng rod into a piece of broom handle. Just be sure to file a good point onto it (nail) or it will crush the edges rather than flake. An old pice of grinding disk makes a good abrader.
Jon R.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
quick question
why are the tools made from copper

The Whittaker book gives a very detailed description of the various processes and tools and I would thoroughly recommend it.

Copper forms a 'soft hammer', with a little bit of give when it strikes, and tends to be used (alongside other soft hammers such as antler) for some of the more precision tools (e.g. some of the detailed bifaces). Hard hammer is, I think, the older method and will produce perfectly good tools, but for the really artistic work, you would be looking at soft hammer (or pressure flaking).

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE