Flint [& Steel] question

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive got some flint which has gradually lost its sharp edge, and does not give nice sparks as easily as it once did.
I dont have much experience of knapping, and when Ive tried it in the past, I normally end up with small shards.

So whats the best place or method, to strike this decent size piece of flint, to get a couple of sharp pieces I can still use with my firesteel?

IMG_0059.jpg

Thats quartz and quartzite next to it, and a belomo triplet x10.

Last edited:

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I don't have any experience of shaping flint. I have read Mors Kochanski's comments, however, where he recommends quartz-type rock. I gather my bits of rock by smashing them on the ground, well away from others. These rocks provide excellent sparks. I have also managed good sparks from local sandstone.

Hope that may tide you over until you get some expert advice about flint.

All the best.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Hold the flint in a leather glove and strike the edge with a rounded stone to break small flakes off, this will renew the sharp edge. Takes a bit of practice to get the glancing blows right but is probably the simplest way to go.

Rob.

The technique is shown here though he uses antle not a stone.

[video=youtube_share;MRI5Tqq8mno]http://youtu.be/MRI5Tqq8mno[/video]

Last edited:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I can flint napp.....badly, I can just about turn out an arrow head or a hand axe but that's about it for me :)

However, being a bit of a thug, if I just want to make smaller random bits of flint, for use with a steel, from one bigger bit I simply place it on a solid surface (concrete, stone etc), pop on a pair of safety specs and "gently tease" the rock into smaller bits.....with a club hammer ;) lol

Works for me :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The best bet to put an edge back on is to use an antler tine to "pressure flake" the edge Dave. You sort of "push off" thin shards from the edge - almost literally sharpening it. Look up pressure flaking on youtube - its pretty obvious when you see it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE