Flint on steel or steel on flint

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is your preferred technique for flint & steel?

• Total voters

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I have noticed a lot of people will use their flint in their right hand and strike their steel with it sending sparks downward onto their tinder, which is sitting on the table/ground below.

I've always found this a wasteful technique that beats up the flints and requires an excellent aim for the sparks. Of course, if you're using something like powdered chaga this is the only way it can be done.

But when using something like charcloth I do it the other way around. The flint goes in the left hand with the charcloth pinched above it with the thumb. The steel is then struck on the flint with the right hand, sending sparks upward into the charcloth. It is almost impossible to miss this way.

The downsides to this technique are if you have a few bad strikes the sweat and pressure from your thumb can cause your charcloth to begin to disintegrate - so you need to be quick about it. The other risk is if you miss with the steel, you are moving your hand toward the razor sharp flint at quite high speed so injuries can result.

But on balance I find using the steel on the flint more effective than using the flint on the steel.

What do you think?

DSCF6488copy.jpg

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Its the way I use charcloth and cramp ball tinder - amadou too - in fact, I dont understand why anyone would do it any other way :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I do it both ways depending where I want the sparks to go.

When demonstrating the technique I strike down with the flint on the steel because the audience can see what is happening better. (Sparks go down)

If I'm just lighting up or I want to keep the tinder off a wet surface I put the tinder on the flint and strike down with the steel (Sparks go up)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
If you strike your steel down on the flint, surely the sparks go down? Thats the way it looks to me and I am still wondering why my charcloth hasnt caught yet :(

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Hmmm... I want to go outside and have another go but I suspect that would be bordering on OCD - I tried practicing in the kitchen but felt that the little shards of flint that were flying off were not entirely dissimilar to glass - Not something I enjoy with my Alpen in the morning :eek:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
But when using something like charcloth I do it the other way around. The flint goes in the left hand with the charcloth pinched above it with the thumb. The steel is then struck on the flint with the right hand, sending sparks upward into the charcloth. It is almost impossible to miss this way.

This was the way i was shown at a swift valley meet. Works well, never tried the other way. :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Bear in mind it is the metal and not the flint which is producing the sparks. striking down with the metal, causes the sparks to be scraped upwards., not that they really travel upwards much, they just stay above the edge of the flint where the charcloth is :)

If you strike your steel down on the flint, surely the sparks go down? Thats the way it looks to me and I am still wondering why my charcloth hasnt caught yet

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Sometimes the simplest piece of information can transform the toughest of tasks.

OCD got the better of me in my dressing gown.... about half a dozen strikes and my charcloth was away and lit up

:D

Thanks to this thread and the contributions herein.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
If you strike the steel down on the flint - as it is the steel producing the spark, the relative motion of the steel to the flint is actually up - and my sparks go up (and some down too) onto my tinder - I usually mange to get a spark onto the tinder with one strike and I'm away - its just a practice thing I guess - show this off to the public from 10 till 5 in any one day and you get pretty good at it ;-)

Just realised HillBill described this far better than I - but there you go :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I usually strike the flint with the steel, but some times it is better to do it the other way round.

As long as you have a good steel then it doesn't matter really.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Bear in mind it is the metal and not the flint which is producing the sparks. striking down with the metal, causes the sparks to be scraped upwards., not that they really travel upwards much, they just stay above the edge of the flint where the charcloth is :)

Thanks HillBill, well said that's how I do it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE