Flint deposits in North East England

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'd quite like to have a go at fire lighting using flint and steel. Does anyone know if there are any flint deposits in the North East, or in fact which are the closest to the North East?

Cheers guys.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd quite like to have a go at fire lighting using flint and steel. Does anyone know if there are any flint deposits in the North East, or in fact which are the closest to the North East?

Cheers guys.

Hi there Chris,
I get my supplies from Marsden beach. Well, actually I don't collect it myself, a good mate of mine got me a bag full of beach flint from there last year.
It's easy enough to collect, the problem is just carrying it back up to the car!:rolleyes:

So there you go;)
cheers
all the best

ps: how do you fancy a couple of days at chopwell wood? 14th and 15th feb.
Just ignore if you've already replied, it's my age you know! oh you need to be at least 18, unless you bring an adult with you.

cheers
R.B.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks. I've been meaning to get down to Marsden with a camera to capture a sunrise for a while now. I could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

I've been watching the thread about Choppers. I'm definitely interested, but I'm reluctant to confirm just yet as I don't want to let anyone down.

Is Mick Stephenson still part of FOCW?

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
Speaking of Flintstone. Another middle eastern row has erupted with Dubai refusing to air the childrens cartoon. A spokesman said that "people in Dubai do not understand the humour..............

But those in abu dhabi do!!!!!!!!!"

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
One thing I would say if you are collecting flint from a beach is that a lot of it will be all cracked and shattered inside from getting rolled about by waves. I got a lode of flint on a holiday in Norfolk a few years ago, when I got it home and tried to knap it, it just cracked randomly and crumbled.

I later found out that you can test flint for this by tapping to bits together. If it goes "ting" and makes a nice sound then its good but if it goes "thunk" and doesn't sound good then its probably all broken inside. I hope that makes sence.

The flint from closer to the cliff it comes from will be more lightly to be good than stuff that has been moved a long way by the sea.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Spoony, thanks for the offer. I'm just packing up the missus and child to head down there.

I later found out that you can test flint for this by tapping to bits together. If it goes "ting" and makes a nice sound then its good but if it goes "thunk" and doesn't sound good then its probably all broken inside. I hope that makes sence.

The flint from closer to the cliff it comes from will be more lightly to be good than stuff that has been moved a long way by the sea

I've heard the same thing. Apparently, the good stuff makes a sound like fine crystal.

Thanks everyone.

M

Mike Denner

Speaking of Flintstone. Another middle eastern row has erupted with Dubai refusing to air the childrens cartoon. A spokesman said that "people in Dubai do not understand the humour..............

But those in abu dhabi do!!!!!!!!!"

HE HE. LOL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE