Flint and steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I aim to come to terms with this.

I have a Dave Budd firesteel and. I. Cannot. Get. A. Spark. From. It. At. All.

Has anyone any helpful advice? Im going to try to crack it.

jaffcat

Nomad
Sep 26, 2012
Hertford
Good sharp flint, glancing blows along the edge of the flint, try not to bash the steel.into the flint, try and use the full length of the steel...... almost a sweeping action.......

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
As Jaffcat said a sweeping action on the sharp edge of the flint like you're trying to shave thin piece of steel off the surface using the edge of the flint. Practice is your friend here as is a nice sharp piece of flint. I keep my steel at about a 45 degree angle to the edge of the flint...seems to work for me.

I'll be honest with you here my first steel was from Wolf Creek Forge and everyone was raving about it's ease of use. That is everyone apart from me. I slung it in a drawer and forgot about it until a few weeks later I found it and some flint and just sat down and went for it. Well two skinned knuckles later I got the angles right and sparks everywhere.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I seriously doubt that there is anything at all wrong with your steel, as Dave most definitely knows his stuff, unless the steel has perhaps been heated accidentally and the tempers gone?:confused:

so.........have a watch of my "How I do it" below then try, try, try again.
[video=youtube;Gj08TL5G724]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj08TL5G724[/video]

There is a slight knack to it; you're trying to shave steel from the face of the tool, which due to heating by friction, actually more or less ignites like wire wool.I'm sure you'll get it okay.

Good luck and keep us informed.

kind regards

Steve

Last edited:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
It's not brute force. Not so much of a punch, but a flick of the wrist like flicking a towel off someones....................when you were a child (or perhaps an adult!!!) :)

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
83dd02f15307.jpg

received my first flint and steel set , can't wait to take it out and make fire :)

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
This is so awesome , I started 5 fires already on my balcony it is so addicting to achieve a fire from an ember , I am fascinated :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE