Flint and Steel Questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The "fireball" is made of ferricomium and works differently to a flint, a flint takes the sparks from the steel striker, with a ferricomium rod the steel, it usually comes with a piece of hacksaw but the back of your knife will do, takes the spark from the rod. it gives off a good shower of sparks compared to flint and steel and will ignite some tinders straight off bypassing the ember stage.
It is a lot easier to use than flint and steel, but is a modern material it is good in an emergency and there are several brands/types around.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Goose said:
The "fireball" is made of ferricomium and works differently to a flint, a flint takes the sparks from the steel striker, with a ferricomium rod the steel, it usually comes with a piece of hacksaw but the back of your knife will do, takes the spark from the rod. it gives off a good shower of sparks compared to flint and steel and will ignite some tinders straight off bypassing the ember stage.
It is a lot easier to use than flint and steel, but is a modern material it is good in an emergency and there are several brands/types around.

If you really want to see some sparks, strike one of THOSE with a flint!!!

The harder the striker is, the better the sparks!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Is there any steel you can't get a spark out of?

Deliberately provocative question. Drag a bit of ordinary steel behind your car and you get sparks I am told.

I have made fire with an ordinary garden spade. You need a bigger, faster flint for the softer metals. In this case I got a fist sized flint and struck hard, glancing blows along the side edge of the spade blade. The resulting sparks came off at a fair speed, scattering from the impact point. So, I used a large piece of charcloth to spread round the spade in a ring on the floor. Oh, and wearing a glove helps protect your knuckles.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
All youre doing is cutting off and heating up a tiny bit of steel to burning point with friction, Ive seen sparks off a swiss army knife blade when I dropped it on a hard floor in a dark room but I wouldnt want to rely on one to start a fire ;) If you ever use a grinder of any sort you will indeed find that most any kind of steel will spark under the right circumstances which is why hand tools for use in explosive spark hazard environments arent made of steel at all but usually phosphour bronze.

The quality and the quantity of the sparks and how easy they are to produce is however not equal for different types of steel, the harder it is and the higher the carbon content the better it seems to burn, up to a point ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE