(Flint) and steel dimensions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
I have found a local smithy who has kindly agreed to make me a steel out of an old file when he can get hold of one. He's asked me about dimensions and to be honest I'm not sure (I'm currently using one of John's nifty starter sets). Also, is it easy to make one and remove the raised file edge off the metal?

I'm looking for a "standard" C shaped one with curly ends. Can anyone elighten please?

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I have found a local smithy who has kindly agreed to make me a steel out of an old file when he can get hold of one. He's asked me about dimensions and to be honest I'm not sure (I'm currently using one of John's nifty starter sets). Also, is it easy to make one and remove the raised file edge off the metal?

I'm looking for a "standard" C shaped one with curly ends. Can anyone elighten please?

If he has problems getting an old file I am sure he will have some silver steel rod around and that is what I made mine out of and it works a treat.

HBC-STL.jpg

Regarding size. I would have thought this that is down to your hand size, technique and how you want to store it. If you think about it, if you have been watching Ray Mears Downunder that was a pretty small steel in the first part.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE