Flexothane?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
Recently started looking at flexothane jackets. Is it any good? Seems like a good option, whilst not silent it is quiet and supposedly very waterproof. Would love to hear people's views on it. Durable? Waterproofness? Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
few of the farmers wear Flexothane around here. I can't say whether it works or not, but one thing I do see is those farmers with patches of bodge tape sticking their coats back together after tearing them on barbed wire fencing.

I suppose they must work to some extent and be easily repairable - beyond that, who knows.

Ogri the trog

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
They are waterproof but you'll sweat like a barley bull if you any more than sit around in them.

They are great for riding on atvs. If I had to get a coat, I'd get a larger size to let some air circulate.

Its not that durable, a thorn will tear or puncture it.

My verdict would be they are nicer to wear than pvc/oilskins but not a patch on goretex/wax for doing bushy stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Off topic but every time i open up a thread of yours i for a second get abit confused........our usernames are similar but our avatars are the same:confused::naughty:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
It's good stuff , rubbery but very breathable imho.
We used to wear it when on jetting duties and gullying. I wouldn't want to hike in it , but it was good for working in at a steady pace.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I personally don't like flexothane but I know many who swear by it.

I prefer non flexing PVC oilskins as IMO they last much longer, also less fire shy than flexothane garments. Flexothane is the oilskin equivalent of the material used in "stretch jeans", I just buy PVC skins a little bigger than I would say a goretex or ventile equivalent and that solves that. The flex in flexothane eventually affects the water proofing over time.

When you're outside all day in low temperatures wind and horizontal wetness, protection from the weather and practicality trumps all other considerations, such as; kit vanity, a little trapped perspiration, etc. PVC oilskins or Flexothane oilskins more or less do the same job.

There's too much emphasis of breathability IMO, unless one is running or hiking with a big pack etc condensation isn't a big issue, bumbling around the woods, a walk in the country on a wet day, sat out by an open fire on a wet day etc oilskins are hard to beat, especially as one can turn a garment inside out and dry it over a fire, the difference between flexothane and PVC skins is that you can stand closer to the fire with the latter.

Then there's bang for buck, waterproofness v's cost. Both PVC & flexothane come out well ahead of everything else for low to moderate activity, PVC (medium to heavy weight) trumps flexothane.

I've worked outside (hard manual work) clad in both PVC and flexothane for years on end and if it's cold and wet, and I'm to be outside in it all day; then it won't be goretex ventile wax cotton or proofed nylon thats covering me ;)

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
Thanks Uilleachan, just out of interest do you have a go to PVC that you use? I also agree about breath ability being often over desired. In most scenarios it is an unnecessary quality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Sure

Something like this

http://www.esafetystore.com/GroupInformation/GroupID/24983

I have the longliner fisherman's jacket, can't find a link though, you can pick them up for around £ 60. That said, if you go checkout your local builders merchants/farm supplies/ships chandlers, you should be able to pick up a set of cheapies (jacket & troos) for around £20, in green. PVC jacket and Flexothane trousers is a popular combination that people seem to like. Worth looking around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE