Flatbrød

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Me and the missus just finished this years Yule "flatbrød" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatbrød ). Ours are made from whole and white wheat flour, water and milk. Pieces of dough are made into thin disks using a rolling pin and then baked in a frying pan.

I learned this craft from my mother, who learned it from her mother and so on. They made disks about 50-60 cm in diameter, but my skills are not there yet, hence the frying pan size.

This kind of "flatbrød" is sprinkled with water before serving and are soft like tortilla when you eat it.

flatbroed.jpg

flatbroed_02.jpg

flatbroed_03.jpg

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Those look pretty darn nice, loops like you can churn out large amounts in short order too if needs be. I like things like this that can save on using cuttlery. I know these are flatbrod but can you also make those big wheel like krispbrod with the hole at the centre? They don't travel well due to their friable nature but taste great.
Cheers for sharing and I.hope you don't mind if I well and truly pinch the recipe? :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
You just have to go through more detail here!!! :) I love the idea of cooking your own flat bread and it's a treat with so many dishes.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
The recipe is simple: Equal parts water and milk, add whole and white wheat flour to taste till you've got a dough suitable for rolling.

Use plenty of white wheat flour when rolling. A rolling pin with checkered surface works better then a smooth one.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I was watching The Hairy Bikers Northern Exposure trip on Iplayer the other day and they were using those very cool knobbly rolling pins to make various breads & krispbrods looks a lot easier than the sheet of formed plastic that I press into service when I've tried in the past.
(Good series by the way, makes me want to renew my passport and head off).
Cheers for the proportions Sir, I feel a cooking session coming on now. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE