Fjallraven - Worth the money or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I know it's not really what we are talking about but I just bought a Fjallraven Greenland winter jacket in the sales (not that it was all that cheap), and so far have mixed feelings about it. The zip is rubbish, it could do with a waist sinch cord (though that might just be a fetish of mine), and pull cords for the hood. Other than that it's stood up well to some of the weather we have been having lately and seems versatile in so far as there is room to layer up for when it gets really cold.

Back on topic, I don't know about their trousers but I don't think I would spend that kind of money on a pair of trousers for bushcraft when there are several army surplus trousers that will do the job (my personal fav original M65 trousers, can't beat them and you can button in the lining when it's cold).

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
My Fjallraven were garbage for what they cost. Stitching was poor and the fit on me personally was rubbish. I have four pairs of the craghopper grylls and for the money the best I've had. For a little more I have the pinewood mufflan hunting trousers. End of the day each to these own but I would never buy Fjallraven again.
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Have you tried carhartts? I've only recently got them, but I think they might outlast me. Incredible build quality.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Fit-probably more than 6 times better
Finish maybe not so much better-I have had problems with stitching/seams on both pairs Fjallravens and have to say never had that with lightweights
Material used; again far superior in the Fjallravens
Functionality Fjallravens are well thought out and everything works well for me
Wearing in different situations-I do sometimes feel slightly uncomfortable wearing lightweights outside the woods as they are so obviously military and i am not

Just my personal opinion; wear what you like/want/works for you, I do

Thanks for the reply, I was just curious :)

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
My normal trousers are Craghopper Kiwis, have maybe a dozen pairs (I use them for work); the fit and strength makes them a winder for me, and have only had one dodgy pair. I have recently bought a pair of moleskin german army copies, which I am happy with at the moment, but have only had them a week or so.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
My main concerns with trousers are fit, material and model. I rarely find the classic fjällräven trousers worth their price considering these points. I had a pair of Karl, which were very good. Brushed G1000 is a lot better than the ordinary. I wouldn't buy them today though. Too bad fit.

I wouldn't want to use 100% cotton trousers in the wild. Sorry. I also enjoy mosquito-proof and wind-proof cloths.

My favourite trousers are haglöfs rugged mountain pants. Yes, they are pricey, but they are soo worth it!

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Some really interesting remarks and opinions on here. I don't think I will be getting a pair of Fjallraven trousers now. Not to risk spending £100 to find they are no better than a pair of Craghoppers at less than half the price.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
For pants in this price category, i prefer Arc'teryx , fit much better, or 5.11 fit and price better.
I like fjällräven tur pants but way overpriced.
Fjällräven jackets great in No. series but stupid overpriced.

Green Knight

May 15, 2012
NW - UK
I've had these for about 3 months and i can't fault so far and we've had really bad weather to test in. i followed some advise and got a size up and the fit was perfect.

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/761-Fjallraven-Brenner-Trousers-Brown/

I've always gone for cheapish trousers but needed a waterproof, tough, silent, warm trouser for tracking, hunting, bushcraft. So far so good. You don't need thermals and you don't get sweaty - breathes really well.

Yes they are very expensive which is why i left it last on my essential kit list but i'm happy with my purchase.
As mentioned, there are better / cheaper options but i've always coveted a pair of fjallraven trousers so was good to get out my system :)

IMO stay well away from Northface trousers.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The ones I actually like to wear are my favourites - BG Survivor trousers and Brit army lightweights. For reasons already said by in others.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
No, there are better made expensive trousers and cheaper ones that will do all that you need. The quality of Fjallraven trousers has dropped considerably in the last years (IMHO).

Right on! i have worn FR for more than two decades. Having worked in the outdoor retail business I got them dead cheap.
The oldest ones took years to wear through a knee reinforcement (I always kneel down on the right side), no wear on other spots.
The latest one got a see-through bottom in less than two years.
FR is crap for the money.
Nowadays I wear Pinewood trousers. Get them for about € 50,- at ebay. The fabric is similar in feel to FR, I have worn one for year and
the wear (outside a hole in apocket because of the key bundle) is zero.
http://www.pinewood.eu/uk/

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
No they aren't very good. They fit well - me at least - but the material rips easily, isn't remotely water resistant even when waxed, and I have found that the zip fly can fail (ooh err missus). 5.11 trousers are very good, but also take a look at Arborwear Tech trousers or the canvas originals. Both are a fair bit cheaper than FR.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
No they aren't very good. They fit well - me at least - but the material rips easily, isn't remotely water resistant even when waxed, and I have found that the zip fly can fail (ooh err missus). 5.11 trousers are very good, but also take a look at Arborwear Tech trousers or the canvas originals. Both are a fair bit cheaper than FR.

The zip flies on two of my more recent Forrester trousers failed within a year. I have been wearing 5.11 for the past year both the Taclite and the heavy duty cotton Tactical trouser, no complaints so far, very tough and hard wearing, the thigh pockets could be a little bigger but otherwise no complaints.

:)

Swjoergensen

Mar 17, 2013
Denmark
I agree that fjällräven are a bit overpriced, I usually get them on sale or lightly used second hand. I've got three pairs of pants, a kaise anorak and a Greenland winter parka. Love every bit of kit. Seem plenty durable to me, and proper waxing makes the fabric pretty water repellant, and it also dries up quite quickly. I can easily imagine that you can find equal gear at a better price though. Fjällräven has a nice fit for me and since I've never paid full price, the cost hasn't been an issue for me.

Some very good brands mentioned in this thread, BUT, trousers are always the first thing to snag on barbedwire, catch a spark ect - so for bushcraft aka mooching about in the countryside not too far from the car, I'd go with surplus and put the money into a jacket. For stalking/walking on the hill plus4's were designed for the job and are way better - NomadUK or secondhand tweed. But for the really rough stuff - working on farm buildings ect Snickers workwear, it looks expensive until you compare them to the build quality of 'outdoor' brands.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...or secondhand tweed..."

+1 for tweed.

b73ha3m.png

"...look Da, townies!..."

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE