Fjallraven - Worth the money or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys being new to the whole bushcraft/wildcamping/hiking world, I'm after some long lasting hard wearing trousers. Its no surprise that quality comes at a price how ever I've been recommend to invest in a pair of Fjallraven trousers. My question is are the worth the £100 price tag? I go hiking every Sunday (mainly hills, valleys and some rock scrambling) and plan to overnight every 3-4 weeks.

Regards Thom

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got some Fjallraven Greenland Pros, superb! Absolutely great in my opinion, can't fault them. :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
If you're new to the outdoors I'd suggest getting something a lot cheaper at first. I like British/Dutch army "lightweights" like these:

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/ishop/1069/shopscr238.html

£15 on that particular website (which was simply the first result that popped up, no connection to seller etc.) so you could buy six pairs and have enough left over for a pint and a fish supper.

Other really popular trousers are the Austrian army ripstop trousers, US BDU's, British army 95's etc. Just type "army surplus trousers" into your favourite search engine and you'll find a massive variety to choose from.

HTH

Stuart.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...My question is are the worth the £100 price tag? I go hiking every Sunday (mainly hills, valleys and some rock scrambling) and plan to overnight every 3-4 weeks..."

No, there are better made expensive trousers and cheaper ones that will do all that you need. The quality of Fjallraven trousers has dropped considerably in the last years (IMHO).

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
"£15 on that particular website (which was simply the first result that popped up, no connection to seller etc.) so you could buy six pairs and have enough left over for a pint and a fish supper. "

When you put it like that I have no doubt Fjallravens are six times better than British army lightweights lol I have both and they do not really compare in my eyes
They(Fjallraven) are high quality clothing manufacturer but they do really carry a premium price.If you have no problem with the price just get them I doubt you will regret it-I don't
Helikon are another manufacturer held in high regard and they are not so pricey and worth a look http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5imbyrl8t1_b

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I,m gonna put it out there just now and take the backlash ,so i need to come out lol ,these are the best trousers for the money i have tried to date (and i have had every make model )but the winners are these https://images.esellerpro.com/2692/I/256/7/lrgscaleCMJ269R.jpg with Mr Grylls name on them :p they are hard wearing ,warm,cool ,lightweight and that comfortable with no annoying bits ,defo for other pairs.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
"£15 on that particular website (which was simply the first result that popped up, no connection to seller etc.) so you could buy six pairs and have enough left over for a pint and a fish supper. "

When you put it like that I have no doubt Fjallravens are six times better than British army lightweights lol I have both and they do not really compare in my eyes
They(Fjallraven) are high quality clothing manufacturer but they do really carry a premium price.If you have no problem with the price just get them I doubt you will regret it-I don't
Helikon are another manufacturer held in high regard and they are not so pricey and worth a look http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5imbyrl8t1_b

I have these as well and they are ok for the money ,they are missing some belt loops and need better ,stronger thread to stich them as the split quite easy.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I,m gonna put it out there just now and take the backlash ,so i need to come out lol ,these are the best trousers for the money i have tried to date (and i have had every make model )but the winners are these https://images.esellerpro.com/2692/I/256/7/lrgscaleCMJ269R.jpg with Mr Grylls name on them :p they are hard wearing ,warm,cool ,lightweight and that comfortable with no annoying bits ,defo for other pairs.
I have one of the Craghoppers Bear Grylls shirts and I love it. Really good quality and worth every penny.

I was going to go for a pair of Barents Pro trousers as I like the idea of waterproof and toughened knee and backside areas.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
In what way?

Fit-probably more than 6 times better
Finish maybe not so much better-I have had problems with stitching/seams on both pairs Fjallravens and have to say never had that with lightweights
Material used; again far superior in the Fjallravens
Functionality Fjallravens are well thought out and everything works well for me
Wearing in different situations-I do sometimes feel slightly uncomfortable wearing lightweights outside the woods as they are so obviously military and i am not

Just my personal opinion; wear what you like/want/works for you, I do

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
If you have an interest in buying fjallraven I really don't think you will quench that need until you own some. For me, I had a pair of foresters and sold them. A bit hard to get at the time, Too expensive to trash and replace, didn't fit particularly well, not great freedom of movement, so I searched elsewhere.

I have settled on ripstop 5.11 TDUs although not perfect, fit my needs and price range. Have tried helikons, BDU's, CS95, BA lightweights, tessar ACU type, German moleskin, craghopper Kiwis, various Issue type copies.

If the world ran out of TDU's I would choose DPM CS95 Army issue or MTP versions which are fine in warmer weather and layer under in colder weather with room to manoeuvre.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I got some vidda ones about 8 years ago and they are still going strong... I'm not hanging onto them because I like them, they really are going strong and are probably as good now as they were when I got them.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I've never paid £100 for a pair of pants. there are plenty of alternative hard wearing pants out there. However I do believe in buying the best you can afford. I just can't justify that much. If I wanted pants with waterproof seat and knees I'd probably try the Jack Pyke countrymans first

jack-pyke-countryman-trousers-.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2713...ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=83&ff19=0

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Plus one for the Dickies. The kevlar are super tough, the carpenters are great for day to day wear. Plus they've made a come back in skate culture again and are acceptable on high streets. Not that they've been out of style in my wardrobe..worn them for 20 years now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE