Fjallraven G1000

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I've seen a Fjallraven Telemark jacket in a sale made of G1000 fabric. Supposedly very breathable and mildly water resistant. Does anyone have experience of wearing the fabric, or better still, the jacket? Does it stand up to a rain shower, or just soak straight through?

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I had a G1000 Telemark and sold it. They have their fans, and certainly fit and look nice. However it was not remotely waterproof and would wet through after light rain. The roll-away hood is not much to speak of. I also manage to rip my G1000 garments very easily. I would regard it as a nice-looking pub jacket.

No doubt some others will speak more favourably

NS

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a few pairs of the trews and find them okay for light rain but they do wet out eventually. Also managed to snag a few pairs so it's not quite as tough as folk make out.

I've got a beauty of a Fjallraven "Deer Stalker" jacket made out of G1000.

I got a bit of a surprise the first time I was out in some prolonged heavy rain (very) as it leaked around the shoulders. A mate recommended waxing it as the factory "default" is quite light so it looks "cool". I borrowed SWMBO's hairdryer and layered it up. To me it looks even cooler a now and it works perfectly in heavy rain now.

This wax keeps it clean too. You are meant to re-apply a layer or more periodically. Very satisfying work.

The jacket itself is a beauty. It's quiet, comfortable, green as you like and doesn't snag in barbed wire and brambles.

It's an interesting concept in wet-gear, but once you've tried it, you won't go back to plastic!

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've been using various garments from Fjällräven in G1000 for the last 20 odd years. The fabric is quite good, but it is not rainwear, even if waxed to hell and back it will leak at least a bit. But it is great for many applications, and 3-season jackets and summer pants are one of them (for "cold 3-season" pants I strongly prefer wool).

As to the Telemark jacket, I have no clear memory of the design of that one, some of their offerings have been rather non-bushy in design philosophy.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Agree that G1000 needs to be waxed to improve water-resistance. Have not had any issues with tearing either Greenlander trousers or Montt jacket.

I would regard the jackets in pure G1000 as Spring-to-Autumn jackets, not for winter unless they are the lined versions.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
G1000 dries very fast when wet. Even unwaxed G1000 dries pretty fast once you can get to the fire.

It's quiet-ish. It rustles more than tweed or moleskin, but less than most synthetics.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Had a g1000 Hunter jacket with a goretex drop liner now for over 15 years it has worn very well and keeps me dry still use it most trips to the woods.:lmao::lmao:

"you can also use Nikwax cotton proof etc on it"

Is this a better waterproofing solution than using wax?

Yes I have done both, and to be honest I'm not sure which is best. Depends how much of each you pile onto it really. The authentic way to go would be Greenland wax, but unlike an earlier poster, I find it a real chore.
G1000 feels like pure cotton, and it seems to work well around the campfire, but it's actually 65% Polyester.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I've got a jacket in G1000 (Kaise Anorak), haven't added wax or anything since buying and it's fine in a bit of rain. But as soon as I start cycling in rain, the elbows get wet... I'm fine with that thouh because I've got a nice rain jacket for really wet weather. I bought the G1000 jacket for having some windproofness etc. It's really in its element in the forest where you hardly ever get real rain anyway.

I'd say you don't need a liner for cold weather (or any other time), just wear a nice wool jumper or something underneath and you'll be more than fine. I'm wearing my anorak these days as well and does just fine, also when freezing. Who cares about a liner when you've got a great sweater?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I don't have any experience of the jackets but the trousers in G1000 are good. OK, they will get wet when it's raining (surprise, surprise!) but they dry very quickly indeed. If it's pouring down, I wear a pair of old Paclite overtrousers on top; if it's cold, I put on a pair of thermals under them.

The fabric is pretty quiet, durable and quick-drying - things that tick most boxes for me. Presumably, the jackets work in a similar way....?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The fabric is pretty quiet, durable and quick-drying - things that tick most boxes for me. Presumably, the jackets work in a similar way....?

I'be owned various versions of the Greenland jacket over the last 30 years. They are a bit short for my preference, and for a while -- as in 10 years ago when I bought my latest one -- they had a thin liner and an inferior design on the lower front pockets (no lossproof foldover). I'm ambivalating about weathet to buy another one or make my own out of some suitable fabric (the current one *is* getting a bit worn).

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
I have Forester trousers padded and normal and a Montt jacket - all G1000.

Excellent kit, very durable, well designed and sheds water if you keep it proofed with Greenland wax.

The wax does wash out and I have had my Montt Jacket on over the last few days in the snow here and noticed that the hood and shoulders were getting wet as snow was settling and melting into the jacket.

Great kit but with some limitations.

Barry

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
Thanks for all the comments. Think I'll go for one and treat it with Nikwax or similar. It will probably reduce breathability, but I need some rain resistance.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I would say that G1000 jackets are extremely good for winter use. And for general all season use if you have some sort of rain protection when it's raining.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE