Five days in the backcountry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
Just got back the other Day and These are some photos taken from a five day trip in the backcountry setting up one of several hunting camps for this year.
it was a six hour ride in on horseback, leading three packstrings of horses and mules deep into the rocky mountains.
several trips like this are made each year...this one, located at a place called Grizzly Creek is one of our more remote locations.
anyhow i hope you enjoy the pics!

starting out
first a ten mile drive into the mountains, this takes us to the trail head
it takes three large trailers to transport stock, gear, and crew too the trailhead.
they will return in five days to pick us up...we hope!

those are two man crosscut saws aka, "misery whips"getting loaded onto the mules.
the area we are riding into has been designated a wilderness area and chain saws are not allowed...its axes and cross cut saws on this one boys!

Pastor Jay (who Joined us for this trip) saddling his horse 'chika'

the owner of the outfit...Dwayne and his daughter Shelly
sorry to say they won't be joining us on this one

this is Ruth the chief cook and bottle washer, part owner of the outfit and with more than fifty years of outfitting and trail riding experience...a top hand!

this is James a hired hand out of New York???
LOL...a hard worker and future hunting guide

Thats Gary And his daughter Bailey...Garys not just the trail boss but also one of the best horseman i know, Baily will be sharing in the camp chores and is a dam good cook!

Pastor Jay and Chika...saddled, mounted and ready to go

The Ride In

Three and one half hours in and we are at the top of wallace pass 9'600 feet elev
we stop to give the animals a much needed rest.

Heading down the other side three hours from camp

Reckon i'll continue this later with more pics
thanks for lookin...woods

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Fantastic, wanted to do this for years - blame Billy Crystal. Wanted to do it for my 40th, but couldn't afford it. Cheapest place to do it was Argentina where they have a big cowboy/gaucho culture.

Looks great and cant wait to see more.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Wow. What fantastic country. And what a way to travel. Look forward to reading some more Woodsrunner. :You_Rock_

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
Looks awesome! Id love to do that, problem is I wouldn't come back lol! Can't wait till the next instalment.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA

a little R and R
the cutthroat trout were hitting anything and everything...reckon they'd hit on a boat anchor!

more later...thanks for lookin...woods

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE