Fitting Zip to Brit Army Bivvy bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Hi.
I am thinking of fitting a zip to my British army bivvy bag – to make it easier to get in and out of (auld body isn’t as flexible as it used to be).
I would get it done professionally and I am thinking of a zip about 2.5 feet long.

Has anybody else tried something similar?
Your comments would be greatly appreciated (unlesst you suggest taking yoga classes instead).

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I've had a similar problem getting in and out (not as flexible as I used to be ! ). I was thinking of making a cut for about 18 inches down the centre from the throat position and fitting velcro on each side to regain some kind of overlap. When used with a basha it ought to be safe from water ingress. It might also be worth sewing an overlap piece to cover the velcro (or zip) fastening. We should probably cover the underside of any sewing with some kind of seam seal. Let's hope Neil-1 (our resident customizer) spots this - he'll probably have a better idea.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
[ I was thinking of making a cut for about 18 inches down the centre from the throat position and fitting velcro

Velcro would be easier to fit. might be ok if the overlap is generous and the cut not too long.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I spotted it!
Centre zips?
Two problems with them - the folds you make create a natural drain when you put a zip in and centre zips don't normally align with the zip on your sleeping bag.
Put the zip on the same side as your sleep system and remember that it will affect the drawstrings on the hood.
Look at your sleeping bag and copy it. This way you end up with a sleeping system, not mis-matched kit.
Hope this helps.
Neil

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I had a bivvy bag years ago where the zip was plac4ed diagonally across the chest. This made it very easy to get out of, and I should imagine it would still keep the rain out.

leon-1

spamel said:
I had a bivvy bag years ago where the zip was plac4ed diagonally across the chest. This made it very easy to get out of, and I should imagine it would still keep the rain out.

Hi mate I know the ones that you mean they were and are very good bits of kit. The problem is that they were designed like that and as such had a storm flap and all the rest to cover the zip itself.

I would check to see where your seams are and open it at a seam, it will be easier to make a storm flap there and it also means that you are not introducing another line of stitching, which is a weakness in the skin of the bivvy bag.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
What do you think of just gluing velcro strips on an 18 inch slit cut in the side (where the draw strings meet)? A storm flap could be glued in place.

leon-1

anthonyyy said:
What do you think of just gluing velcro strips on an 18 inch slit cut in the side (where the draw strings meet)? A storm flap could be glued in place.

It would work, but glues have a tendency to break down over periods of time, exposure to water and with flexing (dependant on type and make of glue).

Perhaps Glue and stitch would be a better solution.

I must admit to not being the biggest fan of velcro, I hate the noise that it makes amongst other things, but it is effective and would be easier to burst through if you needed to get out of your bivvy bag quickly :)

mbatham

On seeing this thred, I have decided to adapt my dutch bivy bag.

It has its opening on top, down the centre, about 2 foot. It doesn't have a zip though, only a huge storm flap with pieces similar to below:

I-

I-

I-
Where there is a 'vertivcal' piece which sticks to a 'horizontal' piece. There are also presstuds down the 2 seams which line up, I guess this links up with the dutch sleeping bags as both sets are male?!

Any one got any ideas how this could be made more secure as at the momment, when you turn over in it, the velcro opens up.

Cheers​

leon-1

mbatham said:
On seeing this thred, I have decided to adapt my dutch bivy bag.

It has its opening on top, down the centre, about 2 foot. It doesn't have a zip though, only a huge storm flap with pieces similar to below:

I-

I-

I-
Where there is a 'vertivcal' piece which sticks to a 'horizontal' piece. There are also presstuds down the 2 seams which line up, I guess this links up with the dutch sleeping bags as both sets are male?!

Any one got any ideas how this could be made more secure as at the momment, when you turn over in it, the velcro opens up.

Cheers​

Hi mate, this is one of the things that I don't like about velcro, the only thing that I can suggest is use wider velcro, you can by it in black and green with a strip width of 50mm / 2 inch rather than the narrow stuff, this will hold better than the thin stuff, but won't be quite as easy to burst out of :)

leon-1

mbatham said:
I have tracked down a length of 50mm velcro but the question I have for you guys is what is the best way to attach the strips of velcro to the Gore-Tex bivi bag?

Probably the best bet is to Glue and stitch it in place if you have access to a sewing machine.

If not then glue it, breathability is not an issue on this part of the bagbecause of the velcro (it will breath through the velcro).

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I've decided earlier this week to have a zip sewn into mine and I'm getting a local dressmaker to do it. The largest zip we can get is about 32" which should do the job. I've agonised over the break in the goretex but decided to go ahead as I don't envisage using it without at least a basha. It's primary use in my case is therefore to protect the sleeping bag, splashing etc should I be out in extreme conditions or condensation. So far I've been out in heavy (not wild storm) rainy conditions without getting a drop on the bag so I hope it will work. I decided on a zip rather than velcro just because the noise irritates me ! Good luck with your project.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE