Fitting New Handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adbirdy

Oct 12, 2005
West Midlands
Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone knew of a tutorial or had any experience / advice to offer on how to fit replacement handle to a slash hook, picked up a head with a broken handle at a local car boot and am keen to bring it back to life.

I have ordered some rivets and wondered would they need to be heated before they can be peened over (think thats the correct term) they are annealed (whatever that means)

Grateful for any help.

Ade

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Carve the new handle to the shape of the socket, or use the old stub as a template; if the rivets are annealed you can just pop 'em in and peen 'em over, or just use cut-down nails :)

adbirdy

Oct 12, 2005
West Midlands
Thanks guys thats exactly what I needed to know, I have managed to get the broken wooden handle out, that was a job in itself as it was broken off inside the head itself.

I have found that its a Cornelius Whitehouse and Sons from Cannock which means it hasnt travelled far as thats only about10 miles from where I bought it!

Looking forward to the handle arriving and putting it to the test as it seems to take an edge well.

Thanks again

Ade

Harnser

Aug 10, 2010
North Norfolk
I did the same job last winter, made up a new handle from an ash pole,and used some large nails to make the rivets, nails were cut to length allowing enough extra for peening at each end. Find a nail that is a good fit in the holes in the metal head ,drill through the head with the new handle fitted ,drill slightly smaller than the nail diameter for a tight fit .The nails were soft enough to work without heat treating. I have used the nail method on few jobs, seems to look and work as good as original rivets.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE