Fiskars mini axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
I wonder if anyone has experience of using this fine piece of kit. I have a Fiskars mini-axe (but branded with the Gerber name) which can be sharpened to a fine blade, making it useful for finer work. For example, the other day I shaved a number of shavings off a Maya stick to start off a fire. The Fiskars made this very easy.

The only downside of this is that the plastic handle, though tough, is a few inches too short for my taste. For heavier work I use my GB SFA (of course :) )....

Best wishes and Happy New Year

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Bruce, yer I got two of them....one camp sized and one very small hand axe with a knife in the plastic handle....

There's been a few threads on them already as I asked about them a while ago....I love mine but a lot of the guys don't trust them compared to the GB axes....

Try these links mate :)

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=3974&highlight=gerber

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=4111&highlight=gerber

and the biggest one of them....

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=1890&page=2&pp=15&highlight=gerber

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Thanks for that, it is interesting to see that they have been the subject of much discussion.

Granted, the heavy head and hollow handle do make for a peculiar balance on this tool and I can see why some would have an issue with that.

If I owned a GB mini-hatchet I probably would use that more often, but for the money the Fiskars/Gerber is good value for money, easy to sharpen and a handy size for a rucksack compared to the SFA.

It seems to me that some dislike the Fiskars because it does not have a hickory handle! :rolmao:

Best wishes

Bruce

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i'm a big fan of the fiskars axes, but don't like the tiny one.

homebase are doing the standard hatchet size ones for about 18 quid, a bargain!

cheers, and.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
kit snobbery? on this forum? effective and efficient equipment eschewed for esthetics? heaven forfend! :naughty: :eek:):

cheers, and.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
"Nothing quite like a good piece of hickory" - Clint Eastwood, Pale Rider.

I rest my case! :rolmao:

Seriously, I did give one a good look over the other day and it seemed well enough put together, but my good lady has banned me from buying any more axes - for about 20 years!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE