fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i live in leicester and live near a river called the sence, i reguarly fish there for fun with a friend, we catch chub mostly, it's a small river and we catch a fish at the start of the session then they all go. Any help?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There is probably a forum dedicated to sport fishing somewhere around. They will be able to tell you more about chub fishing techniques with rod and line than you will get here, I expect.

I assume that you are constantly on the move, especially after you catch a fish from a swim? Much chub fishing that I have read of revolves around stalking and combing the river on the move. I don't know how catching a fish 50yds down stream would put the fish upstream off the feed :?: Of course if you stay in the same place the commotion probably puts the other chub down, particularly on a small river.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
There are a few possible reasons, but without knowing more I will mention some of the basic ones.

When you return a fish (especially a chub) then do it a little way down the bank. Chub have a habit of returning to the river and spooking everything else in the swim.

Chub tend to live in specific spots in the river. Under a snag, overhanging bank etc. You need to tempt them out to take the bait. They will learn that all their mates have been dragged out, and may become a bit twitchy. If you have reached a hard patch, possibly try moving down to the next swim where you think there should be some. Or lighten right up on your tackle, and change your bait presentation.

If you are using a keep net, maybe you have run out of fish to catch in that swim. Try moving.

Light is an issue. Chub will feel more confident in lower light conditions. If you are catching at dawn, then it tails off towards mid-day, then maybe that is it.

You have caught and eaten all the Chub :wink:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Rob said:
You have caught and eaten all the Chub :wink:
Can't see that happening, "cotton wool and needles" is how they were described to me. They hang around in groups and spook very easily - see if you can find a spot on a bridge to watch them.
When I'm out fishing I'll cover a good five miles during the day. I catch a lot of chub but I'm after the gudgeon, perch and trout. If I hit a crayfish hotspot I'll stay there all day, never saw the point in fishing unless it's for something to eat.
Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE