Fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jstyles

Sep 24, 2004
Wirral, UK
www.freewebs.com
Doc said:
When you start fishing, you just want to catch a fish.

Then, you want to catch LOTS of fish.

Then, you just want to catch a big fish.

And the final stage; you don't really mind what you catch - you just like being there, fishing.

That's exactly how I started, Doc!

Check out my fishing net - here!

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
i go fishing.

i live in brighton, so the sea is right next to me. - i was given a beach casting rod by my friend and a reel - so it was a cheap set up. - i go fishing for food mainly - although the last time i went the only thing i caught was a little star fish - i say caught, in reality the little fellow was hanging onto the bait, and wasnt hurt.

but i have caught some whiting, cod, bass, makeral from brighton marina.

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
about the cost of fishing - it all depends on how far you want to take it.

my set up was cheap (i know i was given it, but to buy - it would be cheap) - and i dont need all the fancy gadgets and stuff.

it's like most things, it can become expensive, but it doesn't have to be.

when i was in japan i bought a cheap telescopic rod and reel costing £25 and some tackle and bait, and it was very cheap, and i manage to catch 12 scorpion rock fish for supper.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi, I just bought one of these:-

http://www.streamlines.com/

They’re good for lake, stream, pond, sea (shore and boat) and back garden in the absence of water!

The guy there was incredibly helpful, because I was in the UK and the postage would be $5, which he thought was too much, he threw in a spare real (last years model). Two casting handles, line, a practice weight, instructions and P&P to the UK, all for $12!!!! And they arrived in two working days!!!

I’ve not got them wet yet, but they work brilliantly, and I can now state for a fact there are no fish in my garden!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
PS

If you contact him, please mention my name, he was really helpful and I would like him to know it was appreciated.

Andy

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Andy Brierley said:
Hi, I just bought one of these:-

http://www.streamlines.com/

They’re good for lake, stream, pond, sea (shore and boat) and back garden in the absence of water!

The guy there was incredibly helpful, because I was in the UK and the postage would be $5, which he thought was too much, he threw in a spare real (last years model). Two casting handles, line, a practice weight, instructions and P&P to the UK, all for $12!!!! And they arrived in two working days!!!

I’ve not got them wet yet, but they work brilliantly, and I can now state for a fact there are no fish in my garden!
Isn't that classed as a hand line?
If so you need to be careful where you use them in the UK.

Looks good though !!!

Cheers

Mark

jstyles

Sep 24, 2004
Wirral, UK
www.freewebs.com
For anyone interested in gamefishing, I came across on a show on Sky last night. It's called "Hardcore fishing" (or similar!). Channel 160 at 10:00.

I assume it's weekly and is full of action and tips to catch edible (mainly mahi-mahi/dorado) and non-edible fish.

It's the kind of stuff I do once a year and it's awesome (if you iike that sort of thing!). We have used a Guatemalan company called greatsailfishing-dot-com for the last two years and are going again in February! Check out their site and the above TV show for a taster!

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
So does anyone actually fish for food in the UK's rivers?? I figure you can catch trout and salmon but aren't those areas normally pay per fish? Other than that, it's illegal to take fish out of rivers isn't it??

You could eat eels I suppose but to be honest, would you want to risk eating ANYTHING that came out of our rivers??

This isn't a dig, I'm actually very interested because I was going to get back into fishing with a view of using to provide food whilst out in the woods but was put off by all the restrictions that go with it..

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I am very lucky, in that I get the chance to fish two rivers in Northumberland, the Aln And the Coquet two or three times a year. And yes I fish to eat, salmon, sea trout and trout.

i have fished these rivers since I was a nipper (grew up on the Aln) born in Alnwick (home of Hardy Bros, which will mean something to those that fly fish) and have several of their rods and a basket of tackle (courtesy of my grandfather who used to work for them :D ).

Don't do so much fishing now I live in the sunny south as the standard of fishing I can afford is not what I enjoy. To fish a stretch of chalkstream costs an arm and a leg....and I am attached to both.

Having said that, I regularly fish for Pike on the Arun, and eat them. Not a bad fish when baked whole with lots of flavouring. Bones are a pain, but only when stuck in the throat :lmao:

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
AlexRowan said:
So does anyone actually fish for food in the UK's rivers??

Yes, though hardly on an effective subsistence basis :D

AlexRowan said:
I figure you can catch trout and salmon but aren't those areas normally pay per fish? Other than that, it's illegal to take fish out of rivers isn't it??

Normally yes, but not invariably, on both counts. A significant part of the Lake District waters are free to fish, and some co**** fisheries still expect pike to be killed. I'd recommend the latest "Where to fish".

AlexRowan said:
You could eat eels I suppose but to be honest, would you want to risk eating ANYTHING that came out of our rivers??

Have done for years (both counts).

THink twice about the canals, though... :lmao:

AlexRowan said:
This isn't a dig, I'm actually very interested because I was going to get back into fishing with a view of using to provide food whilst out in the woods but was put off by all the restrictions that go with it..

Know what you mean, but it's what there is... :dunno:

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
That's really good to hear Jim!

I was getting so disillusioned with this country's attitude/environment. It seems that there is so much we aren't allowed to do (bushcraft/outdoor stuff) and the stuff we can actually do is so heavily controlled it strips all the feeling out of it..

As an example, that thread on crayfish the other day! I'd love to go and try and catch some but there's no way I'll bother now!

but anyway on a positive, I'm glad people do get to still use the country's natural resources as have been done for thousands of years!

I get a real sense of satisfaction out of sea fishing purely because 1. I'm out in the fresh air and 2. I get to take and eat the catch. And as anyone that has fished/hunted/trapped for food, it tastes SOOOO much better that way!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've sea fished since I was a kid down in Devon and love it still. I could never really get into freshwater fishing it's all a bit finesse for me, but I have enjoyed a few trips when legering for Perch and spinning for Pike which I ate.
I used to beach cast, and still do whenever I get the chance which is about 4 or 5 times a year and go deep sea fishing too (Not Bushcraft, but I'm happy to organise a deep sea trip in the new year if anyone is interested and show people the ropes) Sometime in the spring would be best it's viciously cold on a boat in the winter. We usually catch conger eels which can get to over 100lbs but my best was 42lbs which is still a big fish :D. Also on the menu are sea bream, cod, Bass dog fish, and all the mackeral you can physically carry amongst other species like pesky Pouting which are edible (barely)
I'm looking forward to some fishing in the Exe estuary at the Dartmoor Christmas meet-up and if we catch, it'll probably be Flounder or if we're lucky Plaice, both flat fish species.........Can't wait

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
stovie said:
Having said that, I regularly fish for Pike on the Arun, and eat them. Not a bad fish when baked whole with lots of flavouring. Bones are a pain, but only when stuck in the throat :lmao:

You should not have posted that Stovie, im a water bailiff on the Arun, i shall be keeping my beady little eye on you ;)

Anyway i fish competitvely (with varying degrees of success), and have been asked to fish at national level and was taught how to fish by a former world champion (sorry had to get that in), im also a fully trained water bailiff, serving committee member of my local club, press officer for the club, deputy fishery manager and their webmaster, anyway every time i go fishing i take between five and six grands worth of equipment, including, mind you i have been fishing far longer than i have bushcrafting and have built my gear up over the years, either by upgrading as funds allowed or by "that looks nice i will have one of those, only to leave it in the cupboard unused for donkey's years".

As far as fishing for food is concerned, the best thing to do is get a copy of the local fishery bylaws from your local environment agency office www.environment-agency.gov.uk, this will explain what you can and cannot do in each region.

More info on tackle etc can be found on my club site www.pulboroughas.com if you are interested.

Would also be pleased to answer any fishing queries anyone might have.

sourdough

Apr 25, 2005
Dumfries
From the baliff or the pike bones???

Pike is lovely!! You go for it Stovie. Large perch are nice too!!

However I am graced in working only 50 yards from one of the best Salmon rivers in the country, the Nith going through Dumfries. Funnilly enough, the only fish I have not had out of it is a salmon. Brownies, sea trout and even a 4lb grayling but no salmon!! Still another 10 days of fishing left to get one!

Sourdough

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
maver said:
You should not have posted that Stovie, im a water bailiff on the Arun, i shall be keeping my beady little eye on you ;).

Oops! :eek: Now where did I put that ticket :rolleyes:

So that's YOU Maver, with that forest of rods hanging over the water like a Weeping Willow :lmao:

I suppose I shouldn't mention the traps.... ;)

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Here's what I have in my survival pack. These are all modern items but primitive things could easily be substituted. However, the primitive things will take up much more space. This fishing kit as it exists fits into a 4" x 5" plastic bag with room to spare if the gill net is not included. It fits into a separate 6" x 8" plastic bag. Best to check local laws before using either the gill net or the trot line......Best Luck.........Bruce

16 - Weights, split shot and egg sinkers, assorted
2 - Bobbers (corks) compressible foam
36 - Hooks, small and medium, assorted
1 - Hook, large to be used as a gaff
16 - swivels, barrel type, assorted sizes
8 - swivels, snap type, assorted
1 - package of dry bait bits
12 - dry flies/nymphs, assorted
2 - jigs, lead-head, small
8 - leaders, pre-made, flourocarbon
1 - trot line, rigged with hooks
1 - gill net, small
50 - feet, 15# monofilament
50 - feet, 30# monofilament
50 - feet, 50# monofilament

This should be a good list to start from. Items can be added or deleted as you desire to fit your situation and needs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE