Fishing - restart

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've decided to brush off my old rods and start fishng (for food). Mostly sea fishing but a bit of course.

So a couple of dumb questions - can you still get a rod licence from the post office and do they only still aply to inland waters?

I'm thinking of giving fly fishing another go as well. how easy is it to find trout/salmon rivers that have stretches of non private fishing? Mostly it'll be northern England & Scotland.

Cheers

leon-1

As far as I am aware rod licences only apply to fishing in English and Welsh rivers, you can get a rod licence online here as they are all done through the enviroment agency and yes you can still get one at the post office.

Fishing in Scotland has diffrerent rules and regs to fishing in England IIRC, so it may be worth checking them out. Salmon trout and the like aren't classed normally under Coarse fishing, so you may need to check the rules surrounding this.

Your best bet is going to be Google it, but you should be able to get most of the information you require from the Enviroment Agency.

I hope this is of use to you :)

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
You don't need a rod license for sea fishing, it's a right under common law that everyone has to fish from the shore or a boat at sea.

You need a rod license for inland waters in Englansd and wales. Plus permission from the owner of the fishing rights on that particular bit of water.

As for where you can fish for trout, salmon etc try getting a book called 'where to fish ........(county name)' from your local libriary, that says where is private, club, day ticket or open fishing to within a few yards.

Also remenber that although it's nort considered 'sporting',in most countries there is no distinction between game and coarse fish, they're all seen and used as food.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Yes you can still get the license at a post office - or buy it on line. No trout license anymore - what was coarse license at 17.50 now covers non migratory salmonids too. Sea run trout and salmon need the pricey license and you now have a compulsory catch return to fill in once a year - even if you don't catch anything that year failing to return the form will get you fined.

Also people get upset when they see you grilling gudgeon by the river bank...

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
Hi EdS

If you are heading to the Lake District I've been informed by a National Park Ranger that you can fish Styhead Tarn with just a rod licence, no need for a permit.:D And having spent quite a few evenings there it's heaving with trout.

There are also fish in the tarn below the summit of Helvellyn, Red Tarn IIRC. Again no permit needed, so I have been told.

Both are beautiful places to be even without the fishing.

Another place that doesn't require a permit is the Upper Derwent River, between Derwent Water and Borrowdale, and if you see it say hello to the big fat brown trout I spent two years trying to catch!!

Paul

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
Oh and another place is Thirlmere. I've never fished it but I knew a few folks that did. It's one of the few places you can 'course' fish for trout in the Lake District.

Sorry I keep remembering more.

Paul

Dorian Gra

May 19, 2005
Isle of Islay
As for fishng in Scotland you don't need a rod licence or anything like that, you only need a permit or the land owners permission to fish. (normally it is a permit which applies for a day, week or even a season)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE