Fishing Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
After reading the thread form Keith Beef about fishing with his son. It sparked a quest in me that’s been running for years. Should I buy a telescopic fishing rod? Keith says yes, but I know I’ll sit on it within 20min.

However, for a long time I’ve been trying to get hold of a “Hobo Fishing Real” – a hand line that allows you to cast. I know someone will say just wrap the line around an empty can, like Ray does. But, as I will probably never use the bloody thing (I only live out my bushcraft fantasies vicariously through buying kit) it just wouldn’t be as much fun!

I’ve found the normal English hand lines on the web but you can’t cast with them, only dangle! And I’ve found “proper” plastic ones on the web but only in the states and they won’t post $3 worth of stuff across, damn those yanks.

Any clues?

PeterW

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2004
Nottinghamshire
Andy

We've taught Hobo fishing for a while on our courses. Its great fun and you can catch stuff..!!! Its cheap and the kids love it !!

We use empty drinks cans, and small pre-hooked jelly wrigglers on a standard 5lb line. Fish have been caught with this !!!

If you PM Scally, he'll be able to tell you where to get the wrigglers from.

Cheers

Pete

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
Hello there, I have been using a simple device for years now, a simple piece of waste pipe (plastic tube 1.5 inches in diameter) 8 inches long with a bung in each end one bung is fixed (glued) the other is removable to store all fishing tackle. all the line is wrapped round the tube. As for casting use a small ledger on the end of the line it will go out quite a way when u throw it.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
In a French book, I saw some pictures of fisherman from Savoy (near the Swiss border) fishing for trout in the mountain streams using a "frame" instead of a reel.

It's simply a rectangular wooden frame, you hold this in your left hand, and by wrist action you wind the line onto or off it.

I've not been able to find a picture of this on the web, yet...

Keith.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Thanks guys, I like the pipe idea, because of the storage.

I saw what I was looking for, this morning, on a link that is on this site somewhere and I can't for the life of me find it again to show you what I wanted. It's driving me mad!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Use a 0,5 Nalgene bottle then you will have both a reel and storage for hooks, line, lures and other things. And the best part is that you got a big fishing kit that will take up very little space.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
If you do go for a tele rod, then the tele carp rods form Abu Garcia are ace. They are a proper rod, not a cheapo toy like most teles. I've had carp to 20lb on mine, and many mullet off the beach. It's a great all round rod, and I've even had littluns on light line on it.
They are carbon and cost about £60 odd from what I remember, but well worth it, and a great long term investment.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
If you do go for a tele rod, then the tele carp rods form Abu Garcia are ace. They are a proper rod, not a cheapo toy like most teles. I've had carp to 20lb on mine, and many mullet off the beach. It's a great all round rod, and I've even had littluns on light line on it.
They are carbon and cost about £60 odd from what I remember, but well worth it, and a great long term investment.

B

Bob Hurley

tomtom said:
get on to one of our american member and ask if they will act as a go between and send stuff over for you.. it should cost very little!

I could help with that. Is that what you're talking about?

http://www.streamlines.com/

(I started not to help when he wrote "damn those yanks", but I'm a southerner, so he couldn't have been directing it at me ...) ;)

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Keith_Beef said:
In a French book, I saw some pictures of fisherman from Savoy (near the Swiss border) fishing for trout in the mountain streams using a "frame" instead of a reel.

It's simply a rectangular wooden frame, you hold this in your left hand, and by wrist action you wind the line onto or off it.

I've not been able to find a picture of this on the web, yet...

Keith.

After posting to a usenet group, I've got some more information.

The "frame" was originally a schoolboy's slate, with the wooden frame round the edge to protect it.

In Switzerland, fishing with a hand reel or frame is permitted from bridges, but rods are prohibited (danger to pedestrians and traffic).

This picture shows a happy fisherman (beware of dead fishes). On the kerb behind him, you can see the frame he used.

This photo shows some men fishing with rod and frame from a river bank.

Keith.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hey, Bob

Thanks so much for that it has been SO irritating. And sorry about the yanks crack, but it was a friendly jibe ;o)

Andy

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Bob Hurley said:
I could help with that. Is that what you're talking about?

http://www.streamlines.com/

(I started not to help when he wrote "damn those yanks", but I'm a southerner, so he couldn't have been directing it at me ...) ;)

That looks a lot like the kite twine handles that I thought about using.

I broke the handles for my kite last summer, flying it on the beach.

Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE