Fishing Kayaks at North Shields!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've been paddling open canoes for nearly five years now, something I should have started at least 30 years ago but never got the opportunity or simply couldn't afford.

Anyhow, I love my open canoe but I've been fancying doing some coastal paddling and fishing and while the Prospector is a really good all round boat, I don't think its the tool for what I have in mind.

So; I've been looking at fishing "sit on top" kayaks. These are the sort of thing you hire on the beach in Spain or wherever but with a bit more attention to detail and some extra fitting out, like rod holders or storage hatches etc.

I've settled on sot's, not because they are becoming more popular but because of my back problems. I can't easily get in or out of a "proper" kayak, so a sea or touring type kayak is not suitable for my needs.

As luck would have it, a pal of mine, who I met through canoeing has just started up his own paddle craft hire business in North Shields, about 20 miles down river from me. He's paddled kayaks for years but only more recently got into open boats.
Ian was made redundant at the turn of the year and after failing to find suitable employment, decided to give this a try.

So; myself and a few other paddling acquaintances, were invited down on Saturday, to test paddle a few of his brand new boats.

This is me checking out the seat on a Shakespeare 145 "angler", the biggest of the 4 boats we had out for the day at 14 feet 6 inches long.
sitontopsatnorthshields007copy.jpg

also in the photo; from left to right: a shakespeare 120 ( 12 feet long) "angler" in "sand" ? but I'd call it grey, sea grey at that! and when on the water, a bit too well camouflaged;)
Then the "mustard yellow" (sand?!?) Emotion "Stealth" angler, at just 10 feet long, the smallest boat we had out and then on the far right; an Emotion "Mojo" which is in fact, more or less the same boat as the shakespeare 120, without the fishing bit and bobs fitted.

I've never paddled anything other than an open canoe before this and I'd never used a double bladed paddle either! so it was going to be interesting.

going;
sitontopsatnorthshields012copy.jpg

going;
sitontopsatnorthshields014copy.jpg

nearly there, where's the water going??
sitontopsatnorthshields016copy.jpg

And away!
sitontopsatnorthshields018copy.jpg

The 145 was particularly quick in a straight line, though pants for turning. This being due to the fact that they are actually designed for straight line paddling or "tracking". It turned easily enough if you put some forethought into what you were doing and planned where you were going.

As with all the boats on the day, it coped very impressively with the choppy water, cutting through the odd breaker and riding the swell smoothly, even the almost 3 foot wake from a massive car transporter, sailing out from the Tyne.

The 145 was probably the best sea boat but it's too heavy for me to get on and off the car easily and safely. I know you can get all sorts of gadgets for roof racks etc but I want a boat I can just pick up and strap to the car and get away.

The next boat I paddled was the "Mojo"
sitontopsatnorthshields136copy.jpg

sitontopsatnorthshields023copy.jpg

which was okay and at 12 feet long, definitely turned more easily than the 145, while still being capable of decent speed. It was still a bit heavy to lug about but manageable none the less.

I then took the smallest boat out, the "stealth" angler, at 10 feet long it was never going to be as fast as the other boats but it rode the water like a cork and was really good fun, as well as being more than suited to the choppy water
sitontopsatnorthshields108copy.jpg

sitontopsatnorthshields117copy.jpg

this was definitely my favourite boat of the day, it was a bit lacking in storage compared to the other three boats, though it comes with two flush fitted rod holders behind the simple folding plastic seat and the option of fitting a third, swivelling rod holder in the centre, in front of the paddler. Unlike the other boats, it also had simple moulded footrests, so nothing to break or jam with sand but most importantly-comfortable.

The shakespeare 120, paddled exactly the same as the "mojo" as its the same basic boat, with rod holders etc. It didn't happen to have a cloth seat fitted like the 145 did ( though they do actually come supplied with one)and we simply sat on the boat itself, where the seat fits in which for me, proved the most comfortable of all the boats!

Of the boats I tried, I liked the "Stealth" the most but it's too slow and short, with not enough space for kit for what I have in mind, so I'd have to go with either a "mojo" and fit rod holders or the 120 in a suitable "safety" colour.

It's worth noting that we all went for a "swim" too! not intentionally but due to lack of experience in launching and landing, though I think it's fair to say we all learned a great deal too:rolleyes:

The slightest bit, off straight on to the waves and you ended up in a washing machine!!

This was Ian, the lad who's just set up the business, falling foul of a miss timed wave while trying to launch the 145
sitontopsatnorthshields104copy.jpg

As I say; we all came a cropper at one or other point!

This was me coming back in with the little "stealth" and finding nice smooth water, riding it in to the beach, only to have a much bigger wave sneak up behind me!
sitontopsatnorthshields120copy.jpg

sitontopsatnorthshields121copy.jpg

Now this really was all good fun but the swell was never more than a couple of feet and the beach is sheltered and mostly sand and gravel.

Try this on a rocky shore or in a lumpy sea and I think you'd get a battering.

I had intended to wear my Typhoon dry suit but it was far too hot and we were in and out all afternoon, so the issue coolmax t shirt was fine for the top, drying very quickly when ever It got soaked but the heavy cotton shorts were a mistake!:eek:

I think either a shorty wetsuit, or board shorts/trunks would be a good idea because you do get a wet arxe, regardless! Avoid anything cotton, go with man made, quick drying fabrics.

Ian is also hiring out open canoes, stand up paddle boards and some standard kayaks like the Robson Waikiki. He'll also supply paddles and you can hire BA's if required and even inflatable roof racks, to allow you to transport the boats if you dont have roof bars fitted.

I hope it works for him, as he's a nice lad and I think he's offering a really good service at reasonable cost.

Whether you are an angler wanting to give sot fishing a go or a bushcrafter who fancies a canoe but wants to try one first, etc etc.
If you live within 50 miles of Newcastle, I think he's the only one offering these craft for hire:confused:

Even if you don't live in range but are travelling up this way then you could always call in to pick up a boat and travel on to Scotland or where ever:cool:

Oh and I didn't get a freebie by the way, I paid for the privilege of getting to try out these boats, as I'd have had to fork out if I'd gone to Brookbank at Carlisle for example.
I'm seriously looking for a sot to buy, so trying out as many as possible will be my goal for the next few weeks or even months.

I'll be popping back down, to hire a boat for some fishing/exploration over the next couple of weeks and I'll keep you informed of how I get on:eek:

I hope someone finds this both interesting and maybe helpful too, it might not seem "bushcrafty" but I can certainly see the possibilities not just for coastal exploration trips and fishing expeditions etc. but also for fresh water fishing/paddling and even light weight paddle/camp trips.

cheers

Steve

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I did have a ocean kayak malibu 2xl angler edition a great sit on top but like a idiot i didnt use it much so sold in on ebay,and now regret it,as ive had lots of oppertunity's since to use it, there's a guy down the road (next to the beach here) that has started hiring them as well, i live 1/2 a mile from a nice sandy bay and ive not been in the sea for over a year,i dont know if its a case of i dont use it co's its there or because im a lazy sod!

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Could you post some contact details for your mate? Unlikely I'll get a chance to have a go, but it would be good to have the info on here.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive got a prospector too. But paddling an open top sea kayak, over a reef, and actually seeing the sharks, under the boat, in the gaps between the reefs, when the shore is a distant blip, is pretty ferkin scary. :D

rancid badger

Thanks Marcus, that is indeed the link:cool:

I've checked with mods and its okay to post the link, as there's no gain for me personally.:)

It's definitely worth a look if you're in the area and fancy a go.

I can see all sorts of trips coming off once I get hold of one of these things for my own.:red:

I don't think it'll be any of the boats pictured though as they're all a bit pricey for my pocket. Most likely a Perception Freedom I think but we'll just have to see.

cheers

Steve

Last edited:

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I've been thinking a lot about this recently. My work for this summer has involved a lot of sea angling on a boat, mainly cod, some mackerel, haddock and wolffish too. I also had the good luck to be able to try out a kayak (Perception Carolina 14) a few weeks ago, not a long trip by any means, just a muck around really, but reminded me of how much fun it is to get out on the water. I'm wondering how hard can it be to put the two things together.

How does fishing from a kayak work, in practice? I mean, there's a fair bit of moving around when bringing a fish onboard, taking him off the hook and cutting the throat... Stability in the boat must be key. I've only been on a sit-on-top once and that was a tandem about 5 years back now, but isn't it a bit higher (and thus less stable) than your average boat due to the air pocket underneath you? And, once you've got the fish onboard, where do you keep them? I guess having a bucket on the deck isn't going to work very well when the water gets a bit lumpy, might lose your supper over the side!

I also have seen a local ad for someone selling a sea kayak brand new unwanted, but whenever I go to try and see it, no ones home... My family has a very old kayak at home, but it's an absolute pig to keep it going in a straight line, it wants to twist and turn all over, even in perfectly calm water. Compared to the Perception I tried a few weeks ago, well there is no comparison - that was a very stable boat. I'm guessing stability is a lot bigger a deal when you're trying to haul a fish on board and work on them as well. There's also the issue of whether I really want a sea boat or not. My mate (sold his play boat a little while ago unfortunately) thinks not, as it's meant to be a bit too much for anything but big rivers and we don't live right next to the sea, in fact we live next to a popular white water canoeing river. But to be honest, I think buggering about off the coast or on a lake could be more my thing anyway.

Last edited:

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Been using an s.o.t. for fishing for the past 4 years. It's an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler. The prowler sits low in the water and your bum gets wet but cuts through the water well. Did a lot of research at the time into which kayak to choose. A good website to help you is http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/ loads of info there specially the forum.

rancid badger

Well I haven't actually done any fishing yet but the boats themselves ( at least the ones I've tried) are very easy to paddle in a straight line.

These are not "Kayak's" in the "canoe club" sense, to be honest, I don't think they're kayaks at all, in the same way that a kayak is not a canoe etc.

They're actually designed to track straight, the longer the boat the easier it was to keep it going in a straight line without having to think about the turning effect of the paddle strokes. This factor holds true for just about any paddle craft as far as I'm aware, the longer and narrower it is; the faster and straighter it will go with the same amount of effort put in.

They are also designed to be very stable, in fact there are some folk who actually stand up on these things to cast and I was certainly moving about quite a bit on the boats I tried, just to see how stable they were.

The 14ft 6" one was easily the fastest and straightest but was a bit of a pig to turn quickly.

The two 12ft boats were okay, reasonably quick and still easy to keep straight but much easier to turn and manoeuvre at short notice, like when you're coming back into the beach and need to hit the right spot!

The 10ft boat was okay speed wise but I think it was definitely the slowest and I think it would quickly become tiring if you were wanting to cover a decent distance on it. Also, when putting a full stroke into the paddling, it had a tendency to turn a little without trying and required occasional pauses or correction strokes to keep it straight.
It would be fine for pottering about on quieter waters, such as harbours or maybe sea lochs but I wouldn't fancy it on the open sea myself.

I'm no expert mind you, the above are all either my own take on the boats or what I've picked up from researching the subject.

Basically they're not kayaks or canoes, they're a separate type of paddle craft altogether, with both similarities to and shared features of, other craft.

hope this helps

cheers

Steve

ps; just noticed your mention of a sea kayak, they are completely different animals to s.o.t.'s. usually very long and narrow and I'd suggest; no where at all to keep your fish!

Last edited:

rancid badger

Been using an s.o.t. for fishing for the past 4 years. It's an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler. The prowler sits low in the water and your bum gets wet but cuts through the water well. Did a lot of research at the time into which kayak to choose. A good website to help you is http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/ loads of info there specially the forum.

Ocean Kayak appear to be particular favourites of the sot fishers, whether this is because they are actually better than other makes, I have yet to find out;)

You're point about wet bums is certainly true with the four boats tried here, indeed I understand that all sot's are the same and this needs to be taken into account when considering buying one, as you can easily spend another £200,£300 or even £400 on a good drysuit.

I bought a Typhoon Max B a couple of years ago, with the idea of paddling my canoe in winter. It cost me £360 and I've used it once, for 2 hours in that time:rolleyes:

It'll be getting some more serious use once I acquire a sot mind you:)

You don't have to have a dry suit, a lot of folk go with a wet suit or dry cag & trousers.

atb

Steve

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
I fancy one of these myself but dont know if i could get it past herself,however ive added a 3rd set of hangers to my boat rack so she probably knows my mind.
Soloman

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
I use a dry suit and find it works well. The two most important tips I can give is 1) Dress to suit the water temperature not the weather. 2) Practice re-entry (some good examples on You Tube)
Regarding whether they are kayaks or canoes, they are kayaks :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Steve, well worth a punt mate, i used one allot in Wales and once you get the hang of it rideing the surf is great fun dude.....

as your funds are limited check out the Evil Bay mate, some good prices on there from time to time...

regards.

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE