Fishing for the complete newbie - tell me everything

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Apart from holding a rod on a boat when i was a kid i've never fished. I've often thought about it, and for bushcraft it seems fundamental to have some skill in it, but it's something i've found hard to figure out where to begin. As someone who has never done it - and i'm not in the UK at the moment and won't be for a few more months at least - where should i begin? Can i teach myself or is it something i need to learn from someone more experienced?

Matt

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Its miles easier to learn by going with someone else but it certainly isn't rocket science.

Buy a good book on whatever your chosen version is. You have the following to choose from:

Course (rod or pole - Float fishing, leger or feeder fishing)
Fly
Spinning and lures
Sea

I'd opt for course to begin with as it gives you more options and is in my opinion easier to catch.

And don't forget most of the tackle and bits etc. out there are designed foremost to catch the angler!

Tight lines.

Mike

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
I agree that you should read a book or two but it's a lot easier to learn from someone else showing you, sometimes even beginners level books assume that you will have some knowledge of the terminology that anglers use and that can be frustrating. If you google angling tuition there are a number of professional coaches who offer lessons, there's bound to be one near you. Some of the larger commercial fisheries have resident coach, so worth googling commercial fisheries too. Many of them can supply you with tackle for the day, which is worth it if you're not sure about whether you'll like it or not, as the initial set up cost can be quite high. Obviously though, such coaching sessions won't come cheap.

Fishing is the largest participant sport in the UK, well over 3 million anglers, so there's a good chance you already know someone who fishes, a friend, a colleague at work or maybe even just a bloke in your local pub. Get talking to them and there's a good chance they'll offer to take you for a session. You'll need an environment agency fishing licence http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/31497.aspx (buy a day licence first and if you like it buy a full one), a day ticket at the venue and some bait, plus fuel costs. Oh and pint or two for your "instructor".

One thing to always bear in mind is that to fish you need a licence, and unless your fishing at a free venue (very rare nowadays) a day ticket. You can be fined for fishing without a licence and have your tackle confiscated. No great shakes if all you've got is a hand line, but if you've just forked out a few hundred on tackle is worth the risk for the sake of a few extra quid for the licence?

Give it a try, it is a very rewarding pastime, though sometimes you may lose the will to live when they just aren't biting (been there, done that lol). Then read the books, you'll have a better understanding of what they're describing. It's been a while since I read one so can't really recommend one to you, except perhaps "The Compleat Angler" buy Izaak Walton. It was probably the first serious attempt to describe how to fish and it really is still a valid piece. Remember, old Izaak didn't have carbon fibre rods, high ratio closed faced reels and electronic bite alarms - but he did catch a lot of fish.

Tight lines and wet nets,

Rog.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Some advice, don't start off with expensive tackle and avoid Carp fishing like the plague expensive and about as far from real fishing as you can get.

Start off with a little light course fishing (don't forget the rod licence), I would get one of the cheep course kit's from Ron Thompson for £50 more than enough to get you started, then upgrade as needed.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Check out this great tutorial from a few years ago: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41506

Cheers mate this looks golden. If it had some info on bait and technique it would be perfect.

I agree that you should read a book or two but it's a lot easier to learn from someone else showing you, sometimes even beginners level books assume that you will have some knowledge of the terminology

This is pretty much what i've come across when i've looked at books in the shop before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE