Fishing clothing advice please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
Any fishermen here?

I was looking through the various waterproof jackets and boots last night and noticed a lot of cheaper options on fishing sites. I'm just not sure how flexible and breathable they are for something like bushcraft if you are moving around a fair bit?

Typical examples of what i'm talking about....

Fishing jacket

As for boots, i was after a pair of Rocky's at one point, but they are like gold dust over here. I did find these though which are pretty much the same design and do the same job but at half the price.

Pro Logic waterproof boots

Just wondered if it was too bulky for doing a bit of a trek whilst having the ability to stand in a river if i want to?

Thanks for any advice,

Boosh.

B

bushyboo

Hi boosh
dont know about the jacket but a mate of mine had the boots were not too good was wrecked in 4 months plus he didnt think they were that waterproof

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
bushyboo said:
Hi boosh
dont know about the jacket but a mate of mine had the boots were not too good was wrecked in 4 months plus he didnt think they were that waterproof

Thanks for that, very handy to know! :(

Boosh.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
To be honest I wear the same clothing for fishing as I do walking. Same jacket, trousers, hat etc. As river, loch banks are often muddy and slippy I find my walking boots give me confidence. Wellies are also very cold on the feet for me. Esp. if I'm standing around for a while. :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I donlt know about that as it is probably designed for static fisherman where sweat and breathability isn't a top priority. I wear goretex type chest waders with sewn in neoprene socks with soft hiking type wading boots on top. On the top half I wear a goretex short wading jacket. All of these are designed for flyfishing which is far more physically demanding and there is a lot more walking involved. I wear mine walking along beaches, and scrambling cliffs and rocks before wading into the surf to cast a fly. They are great- they breathe well on land and don't leak in the water. Naturally goretex type products don't breath when submersed, but they do when out which is important. Anyway, the point is, try to find stuff for flyfishing and it should breath well. Trouble is that anything to do with flyfishing carries a premium.. but there are bargains out there. My jacket came from Snowbee, Plymouth, and was about £70.

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
Have you seen Frogg-Toggs ?

+ very cheap, v light weight, v breathable, waterproof, feels soft and warm against the skin
- limited styles available, US shipping, not suitable for bushwhacking - it will rip

the material's really strange, like soft, textured paper or something.
they're really designed for hunting and fishing, but people have reported success using them on ultra-light thru hikes, like the PCT.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE