Fishing - bubble floats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've just started using these again after years. The last time I used them was when I was kid. http://www.anglingcentre.net/acatalog/s_Bubfloats.html Anyway people often ask about what kit to get for fishing. I always have my own made up kit with componants of my choice rather than the ready made kits which are generally pants with sub-standard componants. :)
These little floats are an excellent addition to a fishing kit and are very versatile. They weigh next to nothing in you kit. You can fill them with sand to make a weight for casting if you want your bait on the bottom or partially fill them so you have a weight to cast out a small way for surface fishing (especially good for garfish) or just leave as they are for light float fishing. You can also use them filled or semi filled with water in conjunction with a spinner/lure to cast out further for the retreive which is good for bass, mackeral, pollock garfish at this time of year. (make sure you leave at least 18" between float and lure/spinner - attach with small split rings and small swivels)
Just thought I'd let anyone know who's putting together a fishing kit if you're interested. :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
They have a couple of tiny holes each sealed with a rubber plug. Unless you can separate (and then re-seal) the two halves I'd say they can't be used for storage.

I agree with falling rain - bubble floats are fantastic kit for a lightweight fishing outfit. If you are on foot, you don't want to be carrying heavy lures or weights. I can cast a bubble float half-filled with water a good distance with a cheap telescopic rod.

Pretty cheap, too.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Can you store stuff inside them?

Might be a good container for an emergency fishing kit.

Nice idea :)

Looking at this picture of a clear one
http://www.nailorsfishing.co.uk/photos/1.853344bubblefloats.jpg

I'd think you could pre tie a barbless hook, push it through and leave a little if the line hanging out, maybe gently insert the rubber plug or if not tape the line to the outside, as the plugs look captured by the end tag.
I guess best bet is to try one and if the hook doesn't come out in an emergengy you could always cut it open to retrieve the kit and use a twig as a float and a button as a small weight.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Can you store stuff inside them?

Might be a good container for an emergency fishing kit.

Not really Wayland. Although they vary slightly in size they're all pretty small. Maybe the largest might take a few small hooks and some crimps or a couple of swivels but not alot really would fit inside them.
As Doc said they're a fantastic bit of kit and can be used as a weight (filled with sand or water) for casting or obviously used as a float for roaming along the rocks searching out the fish.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Crikey, thats a blast from the past...I think a bubble float was on one of my first setups. We would use them with no water in and the rudd used to have real trouble pulling it under....lol...They are very adaptable as you say Nick, would be good as pike tackle too and surface fishing for carp...

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Crikey, thats a blast from the past...I think a bubble float was on one of my first setups. We would use them with no water in and the rudd used to have real trouble pulling it under....lol...They are very adaptable as you say Nick, would be good as pike tackle too and surface fishing for carp...

Yeah I used to use them off the pier for garfish and pollock when I was a kid.
I believe freahwater anglers and carpmen do use them quite a bit too as you say.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Not off the top of my head, but I'm sure I could think of something given a bit of time. I can picture what you mean and I don't expect it would be too difficult to knock something up from some swivels and maybe household items. I'll put my thinking cap on :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I was kind of hoping that the oval ones unscrewed in the middle or something.

I've been looking for a capsule with eyes at both ends that a small fishing kit could be stored in but would also double as a float/sinker.

Any ideas?

How about a 35mm film canister...Plenty of room for fishing kit. If a eyelet could be attached somehow (should be easy enough), it could be used open ended as a swim feeder or closed with some water in to weight it, as a float for pike etc ...

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
I was kind of hoping that the oval ones unscrewed in the middle or something.

I've been looking for a capsule with eyes at both ends that a small fishing kit could be stored in but would also double as a float/sinker.

Any ideas?

How about the little yellow capsule that contains the toy in a Kinder Surprise chocolate egg;)
It could be adapted and used like Jon Pickett's film canister idea and being yellow would be very easy to see in the water:cool:

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
I tend to use the inside from a kinder egg.

Stick a hole in each end and away you go. can roll up a fair amount of line inside them too as well as being ble to fill with sand for extra weight.

They are highly visible too being bright yellow. Really effective for pike i have sound and for casting flies 8 with a link after the float where the flies are attached.

The best thing is that you get to eat the chocolate before you use them....

:You_Rock_ :ban:

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Here's another idea, and I've actually used it. Instead of the bubble float, use an empty weight box. Use a small split shot to anchor the line in the box. When closed the shot stops the line from coming loose. You could also store a small fishing fit in the box when not in use.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Here's another idea, and I've actually used it. Instead of the bubble float, use an empty weight box. Use a small split shot to anchor the line in the box. When closed the shot stops the line from coming loose. You could also store a small fishing fit in the box when not in use.

Thats good thinking....

David B

May 12, 2006
Tadcaster North Yorks
That's the sort of thing that got me wondering but it needs a couple of secure attachments each end to be just right.

You don't need secure attachments.
Try this use a kinder egg ***** a small hole in each end and use it to store your fishing kit.

When you want to fish pass the line through the holes and Tye on the hook seal the holes with a bit of blutac or similar and you have an easy depth adjustable bubble float system.

Oops seems I just pinched dave barkers idea

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Again, kinder egg float worked well when we were kids, pass the line through as you say and pass a small stick through the top and bottom hole, couple of small stones inside to aid the casting ahh takes me back :) hooks split shot and line i suppose could all be stored inside

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE