Fishing books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'm not sure if this thread should be here or in resources but anyway. Can anyone recommend a good beginners guide to fishing. I quite fancy getting one of those telescopic rods and a bit of basic kit and having a go at getting something for the pot. So what do you anglers suggest?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'd be coarse fishing predominantly although I do live near the sea.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Snuffkin - I'd love to hear how you get on - I've been thinking the same thing and I know nowt!

Red

fishaben

Jul 17, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
"Go Fishing by John Wilson - can't go too far wrong with John, this book covers the basics, fresh and sal****er. Simple, effective rigs and good advice."
Hi,
I very much agree, I am a very keen fisherman and I learn a lot of my fishing tips from John Wilson, although I watch him on sky whenever he is on instead of his books, as much as I would love one of his books I cant find anywhere to buy them. I find John Wilson a great inspiration.
Ben :)

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I know it's a bit twee, but "Fishing with Mr Crabtree" is great!
(not sure if "Mr Crabtree goes fishing" is the same book with a different title or another volume)

"That's a fine Chub you've got there Peter" :p

if you want to learn something from scratch then kids books are the place to start.

Having said that I like watching Newsround to get an idea of what's happening in the world...

Of course, you could always pop down to the local angling club.

HTH,
Neil

heeby

Jan 2, 2006
west yorkshire
if your wanting to take one for the pot and just goiing once every so often i would suggest sea fishing its mostly free fishing and most freshwater fishery owners dont like people stealing their fish
mark

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
As you live in Norfolk, another book worth a look is "The Art of Lure Fishing" by Charlie Bettell.

You have some of the best Pike fishing in the UK right on your doorstep.

Oh, and DON'T nick the fish, someone has put a lot of time and money into the waters you will fish, and if you do so without the explicit permission of the fishery owner, you can be prosecuted for poaching.

You will also have to buy a fishing licence (from the post office) or get one online from the Enviroment Agency website.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Firstly cut a Hazel switch to 9ft in length, with tapering diameter from 1" at the butt end to 1/4" at the tip, and allow to season for 3 weeks. This allows you time to prepare the remainder of your kit.

Leave early one morning, when the grass is damp with spring dew, and with deft movements remove with the use of your penknife enough lengths of horse tail hair as will be required to spin your line, which should taper from 18 strands at its thickest to 3 at the tip (though i have it on good authority from a gentleman of the fly, that he can land a trout of fair size on a single strand taken from a certain Bay Cob not far from here). When you have your line long enough to cast "fair and far off" (12-15ft at most) then whip to the tip of the above mentioned switch in such a manner as to be sure of its tenacity.

We now come to the matter of hooks. Such is the quality of your beloved's darning needles that little else need be done than to sweet talk her into aquiring one of the same, and with gentle persuasion curl the point to form a jugged lip as narrow as you see fit for the size of your quarry's mouth. A simple blood (otherwise known as a fishermans knot) will suffice to finish the working part of your tackle.

This I dare say is the minimum needed in order to begin your life of angling, but mention of one other requisite may be of interest to the novice, namely the quill. Though this is a fairly recent introduction, and seen by some as unnessesary if not downright unsporting, for those who are to fish deep with worm or maggot they are without a doubt an innovation to be applauded.

At there simplest form a primary taken from goose and stripped of fletch, can be attached with a light whip of linen thread top and bottom, at such depth as you require in order to "be among" your quarry.

With this your tackle is complete, and it but remains for you to decide on your bait, be it worm, maggot, paste or bread, and to wish you "tight lines" with a fair wind at your back and the sun in your face.

So come with me now as we take to the bank and peruse the vista that is to be the course of our game.

:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE