Fish trap tutorial (heavy pics)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I am making one, using different materials though. Bird Cherry is excellent for hoops. I'm using willow for the other parts, including the binding.

All stone tools for me. Found that working the hoops almost finished while green was advantageous. The advantage is probably smaller if you use metal tools.

Thank you for the idea! :You_Rock_

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Here is my trap, I've started on the lashing (with willow bark). Mine may not be any larger in diameter, but is probably a little longer. Please excuse the mess... :eek: :
mess.JPG

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I know this is an old thread but is there any chance of putting the pictures back up?
Also does anyone know the legalities of using fish traps in the UK? Coastal? Crayfish?
I am interested seeing the pictures even if I am not allowed to use the traps.

Regards Scott.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Hi there!

I may try and get the pics working again on this thread but for now you can visit my website where the article has full pics...

Article: http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/crafting a fish trap.htm

Website home: www.jonsbushcraft.com

Ahhhhhh, I already had that site saved in my favorites and didn't make the connection between the Jon who built it and you:eek: I feel a bit stupid now, D'Oh.

Great site (thats why I had it in my favorites in the first place) and very informative, thanks.

Regards Scott.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Whilst I have nothing but admiration for the skills needed to create these traps I feel I should point out that the use of them in the UK without a licence from the EA is almost certainly illegal and likely to attract a fine should the owner be caught.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Whilst I have nothing but admiration for the skills needed to create these traps I feel I should point out that the use of them in the UK without a licence from the EA is almost certainly illegal and likely to attract a fine should the owner be caught.

All good information, thanks.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
In the sea, it would be fine without licenses or anything, it's just like a lobster pot. Selling the catch or using lots would need other licenses maybe. Inland I think it would be difficult to get permission, unless you live where crayfish are. In england, you might need a rod license but I'm not sure about that as it is different in scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE