Fish Oil and Flour Bait,Any Good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
yup that happens too im afraid, these are generaly small lakes designed for match or carp anglers where its an artificial
eco system to some degree,

This is a four acre+ Estate Lake, a large proportion of match, match carp lakes and day ticket waters are 100% artificial as they have been dug for commercial reasons, i know this to be true as ive dug and or project managed at least six myself.

but not in the large expance of lochs where they are predominantly classed as trout fisheries. it is these places you will find some real monsters too, and yes they play a vital roll in the quality of the game fish.
and a very high value fish in regards to the eco system,

This is a large lake, ok, not as big as a Loch, but at over four acres it's a large expanse of water, the Pike have decimated the trout population, meaning the riparian owner was spending thousands and thousands of pounds stocking his lake for his paying fly fishers, but in fact was only feeding the Pike population

be interested in the cull kepis, what is it a glut of jacks? how did that come about you think?

They came about as they were illegally stocked, neither the owner nor the EA have any record of Pike ever being stocked, nor were there any present when the lake was originally drained to remove the coarse fish in preparation for it to become a trout lake, there are a number of large Pike and bucket loads of Jacks, the jacks resulted due to a poor management process in the past where they removed a number of large pike, which gave the jacks a chance to increase, ive seen it time and time again, remove the big Pike and you get an explosion of Jacks

I remember you saying you had done some training in the fishery game so would be very interested mate.

Correct.

vukic

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2013
Tiverton, Devon
This is a four acre+ Estate Lake, a large proportion of match, match carp lakes and day ticket waters are 100% artificial as they have been dug for commercial reasons, i know this to be true as ive dug and or project managed at least six myself.

This is a large lake, ok, not as big as a Loch, but at over four acres it's a large expanse of water, the Pike have decimated the trout population, meaning the riparian owner was spending thousands and thousands of pounds stocking his lake for his paying fly fishers, but in fact was only feeding the Pike population

They came about as they were illegally stocked, neither the owner nor the EA have any record of Pike ever being stocked, nor were there any present when the lake was originally drained to remove the coarse fish in preparation for it to become a trout lake, there are a number of large Pike and bucket loads of Jacks, the jacks resulted due to a poor management process in the past where they removed a number of large pike, which gave the jacks a chance to increase, ive seen it time and time again, remove the big Pike and you get an explosion of Jacks

Correct.

That sounds.like a job and a half...

Tiger

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
4 acres is that a large expance of water? is that a typo? (passes pond Shoreham is 5 acres)
spose its a matter of perspective that one.
Christ yeah what was he dropping in fingerling trout and wondering where there all going?
that's got to be a nightmare :-/ be nice if they kept the big girls but spose money is money.
not massively bothered about quality stock as long as everyone catches. Nature of affordable trout fishing these days
isn't it.
In that size water I don't think you would want any preds in there sorting out the stock
(yeah I probably would) I can see where he is coming from tho, worked at chalk spring for a bit
and that was the same sort of deal, pay your money take 3 fish trout puddle.
(saying that john Wilson did a program on the place?? hell knows why)
Think a Loch is an entirely different kettle of fish (sorry bad pun) its of such a size, management in
the way you describe is not really achievable, more about manipulating and gently nudging nature
as apose to just getting in, netting it, then re-stocking.
Hence my point about the importants of pike in such a water. And the same in our rivers.
Shame tho, building a 3"x3"x8" acrylic tank, getting hold of small jack pike in the aquatics world is like finding
hens teeth :)
sorry santaman I may of come across as tho pike are some sort of endangered species, there not in all honesty
but I have a big soft spot for them and understand the importance of them in a natural environment.
A completely misunderstood fish in some cases.
Amazing fish, ive watched a group of jacks in gin clear water slowly herd roach fry into a reed bay and perform
what can only be described as a co-ordinated attack, just there biological makeup, just there looks.
So prehistoric,
Not the hardest fighter in the world (they tend to make a few manic runs then just plod round in curcles)
but they look every inch the fish they are. 20lb looks huge lol. Love to have a crack at one of your muskys
one day, a truly awesome fish. Something special about the majestic pike :)

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
4 acres is that a large expance of water?

It is if you are the one who is having to pay to have it drained, netted, dug, silt removed and dumped at £X amount per tonne because it's classified as toxic waste, have the banks re profiled, cover the bottom with clover, allow to refill and re stock with thousands of trout, going to be a few years before his Lordship gets his money back on this one.:)

Then of course there is the big lake right in front of the house, this lake is big enough to fly from, i know as ive done it in a Piper J3 Cub on Floats:).

getting hold of small jack pike in the aquatics world is like finding
hens teeth :)

How many do you want? and i'll have a word with his Lordship, i dare say he will be more than happy for you to take some off his hands, subject to a suitable commercial agreement and the correct paperwork being in place.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
It is if you are the one who is having to pay to have it drained, netted, dug, silt removed and dumped at £X amount per tonne because it's classified as toxic waste, have the banks re profiled, cover the bottom with clover, allow to refill and re stock with thousands of trout, going to be a few years before his Lordship gets his money back on this one.:) Ha fare enough when you put it like that it duz sound a bit of a mission lol

Then of course there is the big lake right in front of the house, this lake is big enough to fly from, i know as ive done it in a Piper J3 Cub on Floats:).
WOW now that is a big expance of water

How many do you want? and i'll have a word with his Lordship, i dare say he will be more than happy for you to take some off his hands, subject to a suitable commercial agreement and the correct paperwork being in place.
Now that would be awesome, im still a few months away im afraid, only just completed the stand (real mission in itself)
and just had the 1,1/2 acrylic cut, going in the garage, plan to have pike and perch maybe a few brownies, when you say paper
work, is that for real? you never know with this country :confused:

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Just reading a bit about the loch I fish Ferox Trout 24lb + and 25 and 27 lb Pike recorded on dead bait like I said I have no idea aboot Pike, Is that big for Pike?.
I also met some blokes from the fishery board on a loch near by ""(which coincidently also has a Monster)"" on the Great Glen and had a chat with them, introduced minnows seemed to be the main problem there, again another introduced species I believe.

We lost a wee bit o real-estate one night in a storm and had to move the tarp a couple o feet, but its an ill wind they say and it certainly helped keep the midges doon. Storms are great fun and that loch can throw up some massive waves.

We only caught two fish that trip we ate the one my pal caught and an Otter nicked my one Grrrrrr. But I'm really looking forward to going back there soon, a fire ,a bottle o whiskey and a fish to eat if I’m lucky.

Just found out parts o my loch go down to 300ft , I only sailed down one side about 3 years ago and the sonar generally only read a depth of about 40-50 meters but there must be a trench somewhere,after all just thinking about it for a moment it is a massive geological fault that runs all the way across Scotland ..

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Now that would be awesome, im still a few months away im afraid, only just completed the stand (real mission in itself)
and just had the 1,1/2 acrylic cut, going in the garage, plan to have pike and perch maybe a few brownies, when you say paper
work, is that for real? you never know with this country :confused:

You need a Section 30 stocking permit and the fish need to have a health check to make sure you are not transferring diseases, but as you are not introducing them to a pond, lake, river etc you probably wont need it, any fish farmer / supplier worth his salt will have all the bases covered anyway, and if they dont, ask yourself - Why?

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
nice photos pict, looks lovely. yup 27lb is a stunning fish! ive had one just a little over that and honestly mate a fish of a life time
im pretty sure ill never get anything like that again. Thinking about it that only came out of a water 5 or so acres over Fittleworth
way (im sure you know the water as your in the area Kepis) but if you want a heads up just PM :)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
It is if you are the one who is having to pay to have it drained, netted, dug, silt removed and dumped at £X amount per tonne because it's classified as toxic waste, have the banks re profiled, cover the bottom with clover, allow to refill and re stock with thousands of trout, going to be a few years before his Lordship gets his money back on this one.:)

If he wan't the pike hunting I am more than willing to help him get rid of them :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK

this is very true, it's far healthier for a fishery to have a small number of large pike than a large population of jack pike, and the jack population does explode where there are few large ones, pike are cannibalistic too, all big pike are females, perhaps that may have some impact on the stock levels if the male population is low but that is mere speculatuion on my part, i do know that a 20lb pike will take a 3lb pike because it has happened to me, the 20lb one would have been a female the 3lb could have been either male or female.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I was away on a fishing trip late last year with my buddy, after we started to run out of bait we split between one rod on worms and on the other we used a mixture of flour and the oil out of a tin of pilchards which was very handy to make and use however after the first day we caught no more fish on the worms or the flour mix. So I can’t really rule out the flour bait just yet. So here’s my question has anyone used and had any success using fish oil and flower for trout?

trout take all sorts of odd baits, for instance the orange blob fly doesn't really resemble any natural bait i don't think yet it is extremely effective, bread flake and sweetcorn is readily taken and i have caught a number on those baits accidentally when fishing for other species, once i watched some very large chub in the river teme and freelined some bread flake to try to catch one of those monsters, first cast the bait was taken and i struck into a good fish that turned out to be a 21/2 lb wild brown trout, what a surprise that was, i used to catch a lot of chub from the river lugg on live minnows and occasionally a trout would take the minnow, i imagine flour and any additive will catch trout but it is not a bait i would set out to use intentionally for trout myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE