First Try At A Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
I got my first spoon knife in the mail yesterday. I looked at all the tutorials I could find. Scrounged a piece of scrap wood from the garage. And made this up this morning.
Spoon.jpg

I haven't finished it with anything yet, I'm thinking linseed oil. Is there anything that anyone recomends over something else though?

Now I'm hooked! I need more wood! I need to make more spoons!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice spoon. :)
I finish mine with cold pressed linseed oil the type from the health food shop not the boiled linseed oil which has solvent in it. If no alergy walnut oil from the supermarket.
Both preserve and enhance the wood, and cure dry if left a while after wiping on.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Nice spoon, looks a lot more usable than my first. Are you planning on using it or is it just kind of a fun project that you want to display? If you are not going to use it then boiled linseed oil would probably be good but just make sure you don't end up using it later on if you're going with that because it doesn't really sound like something you'd wanna be putting in your mouth. I just oiled my spoon with walnut oil and I'm happy with the results so I can recommend that.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
No way is that your first spoon!
Thats just brilliant compared with my first effort - which was more rough paddle than elegant spoon.

Very nice

Ogri the trog

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
Thank you everyone. I have to confess it is not my first carving project, just the first time I carved a spoon.

I do intend to use it, so I'll probably go with the walnut oil since that has been recomended to me a couple times now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE