First time for our parachute shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
So we finally used the parachute I got in the group buy on here a couple of months ago. It was a Scout camp at Middlewood. We didn't manage to get the 'chute to hang directly over the brick hearth but that was ok, we used the hearth as a wood store and brought an altar fire underneath the centre instead.

para4.jpg
[/IMG]

On the Saturday night the heavens opened. The rain continued non-stop for about 2 hours. Apart from a fine mist coming through the 'chute every now and again it kept us dry. The fabric got soaked through almost instantly but channeled the water down to the edge where it dripped off. It also seemed to keep the heat from the fire around us better too, we didn't seem to get that "cold back" feeling you get when standing around the fire - maybe it was just psychological!

fire4.jpg
[/IMG]

We will definitely use this every chance we get now, and hopefully we will get better at putting it up as we use it more (I used a spanner tied to the end of paracord, swung grappling hook fashion up into the trees. Planning on using an old climbing hex and catapult as described by Wayland soon).
We are going to sew our group necker on one of the bottom edges and add a badge from every campsite on which we use the 'chute. It will eventually be a Troop heirloom!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Looks good! I used mine from that GB with the Explorers a few months ago, and although it wasn't tested by rain, was very pleased with it. Does yours not have any netting panels either?

Lord Poncho, no it doesn't have any mesh panels like some others I've seen though I guess if it was an issue it might be possible to take a panel out and replace it with mesh - not sure my sewing machine skills are up to that yet - you cant see the repairs I've done from the angle the photo is taken, they're not pretty but they work!

PaganBushcraft - We were really surprised at how well it kept the rain off. We had just moved the altar fire under it when the rain started and it hammered down for at least 2 hours. Every now and again we'd feel a slight mist effect from some of the rain coming through but not enough to cause any discomfort. From inside you could see the fabric was soaked but it didn't drip down inside, it ran down to the perimeter where it dripped off. Once the rain stopped the 'chute took hardly any time at all to dry.
I've heard some people waterproof them but another active thread on this site at the moment says that the smoke from the fire gives it a degree of proofing. I'm going to go for the latter option and see what happens.

Oct 24, 2011
Thanks a lot I might get one myself and my boys
Lord Poncho, no it doesn't have any mesh panels like some others I've seen though I guess if it was an issue it might be possible to take a panel out and replace it with mesh - not sure my sewing machine skills are up to that yet - you cant see the repairs I've done from the angle the photo is taken, they're not pretty but they work!

PaganBushcraft - We were really surprised at how well it kept the rain off. We had just moved the altar fire under it when the rain started and it hammered down for at least 2 hours. Every now and again we'd feel a slight mist effect from some of the rain coming through but not enough to cause any discomfort. From inside you could see the fabric was soaked but it didn't drip down inside, it ran down to the perimeter where it dripped off. Once the rain stopped the 'chute took hardly any time at all to dry.
I've heard some people waterproof them but another active thread on this site at the moment says that the smoke from the fire gives it a degree of proofing. I'm going to go for the latter option and see what happens.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest

No- i was saying that as it's a bonus there is no mesh! Most people have to cut the mesh out and replace it with nylon, but ours negate the need to do that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE